Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Crabtree finally signed by 49ers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39761)

TXSteelerFan 10-07-2009 07:11 AM

Crabtree finally signed by 49ers

Quote:

contract stalemate that has lasted four weeks into the NFL season, the 49ers have finally reached a deal with their first-round pick.

Michael Crabtree and the team agreed to a six-year deal early this morning, according to team sources. He and his agent had a face-to-face meeting Tuesday afternoon with 49ers vice president of football operations Paraag Marathe in the Bay area
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1...lly-reach-deal

-----

Personally I don't see him playing much this year. As I doubt he has been studying the 9ers play book while waiting on contract negotiations.

Vis 10-07-2009 07:38 AM

Re: Crabtree finally signed by 49ers

I pray they didn't break the slotting for him

xfl2001fan 10-07-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vis (Post 675257)
I pray they didn't break the slotting for him

No doubt. If they busted the slotting (by paying him more) then that will really screw up the next several drafts (or until a rookie pay scale is put into effect.)

The_WARDen 10-07-2009 08:25 AM

I am going to watch this prima donna crash and burn!

:thumbsup:

lilyoder6 10-07-2009 09:37 AM

idk.. i think depending where he is in footballl shape will deternine things...

i bet he will get in there and there.. and his game reps will increase game by game as he learns the playbook..

not hard to tell him to run a fly, post, comeback out in, etc...

xfl2001fan 10-07-2009 09:45 AM

I doubt he's anywhere near ready...not only does he have to get in football shape...but he's WAAAAY behind on the playbook and the speed of the game.

There's more to it (at the NFL level) than just saying run a fly/post/curl, etc... You have to know how to alter your route based on the coverage and be on the same page as your QB when you make those subtle alterations. A slant pass against a Cover-2 is going to look different than when it's run against a Cloud defense...and even more so than against a Man coverage. Also, your slant pattern changes (subtly) based on route combinations...because if your TE is running an out...or a drag (if he's opposite side of the field) it alters angles and such as well.

KeiselPower99 10-07-2009 09:57 AM

Congrats. Your gonna get paid to ride the pine this year.

revefsreleets 10-07-2009 11:04 AM

No question the kid is loaded with talent. Two pertinent questions arise:

1) Is this kid a head case? We've seen more than a few WR's crash and burn over the years for this reason.
2) Can he get separation at the next level? This is THE defining question for NFL WR's.

There is no real "catch-all" stat from college that predicts this, but yards/catch is as close to a reliable indicator as their is. His career at TT yielded an average of 13.5 per catch, which isn't spectacular enough really tell. (By way of comparison, Jerry Rice, perhaps the greatest WR of all time, averaged almost 16 a catch in college).

It's not perfect, though. Charles Rogers, ginormous Detroit Lions bust, averaged over 20 yards a catch at Michigan St.

SteelMember 10-07-2009 11:11 AM

So does anyone think the 9'ers 3 and 1 record had anything to do with coming to an agreement, or is it really "all about the benjamins"?

I'm sure going to a bad team (last year) wasn't getting him motivated any.

Just a thought. :noidea:

Slick93 10-07-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMember (Post 675395)
So does anyone think the 9'ers 3 and 1 record had anything to do with coming to an agreement, or is it really "all about the benjamins"?

I'm sure going to a bad team (last year) wasn't getting him motivated any.

Just a thought. :noidea:

I think it had a lot to do with it. He realized that they are a "legit" team this year and now wants in on the action. If they were 1-3 I'd be willing to bet he's still holding out. He probably figured he'd better get in before they realized they could do it without him.