Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rooney II says its time... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=460)

BlitzburghRockCity 03-21-2005 12:46 AM

Rooney II says its time...

For another CHAMPIONSHIP ..

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- Palm Sunday Mass took on a different ritual for the Rooneys yesterday morning. They could each stroll outside, cut their own piece of fresh palm branch and offer it for blessing at a private Mass on this western part of Maui.

Dan and Pat Rooney invited their entire clan -- children, spouses and grandchildren -- for what amounts to a family reunion during the annual NFL meetings that began in paradise yesterday. They even brought their own priest to celebrate Mass.

Dan's eldest son, Art Rooney II, presides over the Steelers as president and after a special Mass yesterday morning on a special day in a special place, the son offered his own thoughts on a subject many Pittsburghers regard as a religion of its own -- his football team.

Art Rooney believes it's time that team won another championship. After coming close so often over the past decade, the third Rooney president of the franchise believes the time is at hand to add another Super Bowl trophy to their aging collection.

"I think for the people who have been around for a while now, I think we all feel like it's time," Rooney said yesterday as a cool breeze whipped off the Pacific Ocean. "We've been close and we have to take that last step."

Five times in the past 11 seasons, the Steelers have played the AFC championship game at home and not won a Super Bowl. They lost four of those games, including this past season when coach Bill Cowher's team set a record for the Steelers and the American Conference by going 15-1, only to lose for the second time in four years at Heinz Field to New England in the title game.

"I know Bill feels that way, that we have to get this done," Rooney said. "I think he has a very good staff and feels like we have to get this done, that we're in a position we can do this now. I think there's that kind of commitment to it that we have to take advantage of the opportunity when it's there."

That is one reason why the Steelers have restructured contracts this spring at a pace never before seen. They have redone the contracts of six veterans, reducing their salary cap this season by pushing the cap accounting off into future years. They are doing it, Rooney said, in order to keep together and improve a team he believes can win it all.

Here's the rest

ironcitychef 03-21-2005 01:36 AM

Re: Rooney II says its time...

I like that we formally say we are committed to winning the big game, but doesn't that create pressure when the owner/president says it?

clevestinks 03-21-2005 06:05 AM

Just Win Baby! Just Win! I`m pumped. I think we all agree with Art II. We all feel its time for the THUMB also. Plus our yonger fans ,Jersey, that were born after we won our last bowl need to see Big Ben hoist the trophy over his head. Its aways off but I`m ready to go now. Detroit bound.

BlitzburghRockCity 03-21-2005 08:57 AM

He's always backed our team in a similar manner during interviews and such...but I think this is pretty important when the Head Honcho tells you its time...Bill C take note, and get your ducks in a row, cuz this year, its SB or bust !!!! Bring on Detroit, and let's have the Bus win his championship in his home town !!!

clevestinks 03-21-2005 10:22 AM

Your blitz Coach better read into what the man is saying, it is TIME

HinesWard4Life8682 03-21-2005 10:26 PM

but seriously we have the talent to bring the vince lombardi trophy to pittsburgh.

BlitzburghRockCity 03-22-2005 01:51 AM

I agree..if we didnt, Jerome wouldnt be considering coming back for another year... so this is as good as we can ask for in terms of experience and youth on our team, so lets do it!

clevestinks 03-22-2005 08:55 AM

Blitz, you must not sleep, I was looking at your reply times, man I thought I had some messed up hours

ironcitychef 03-23-2005 01:27 AM

Hey just cause its time for us to win the Super Bowl, doesn't mean its not a great time to post. Got your back for those night owl posts! Hey I just noticed the clock is an hour off of my clock?? Someone wanna help out on how to fix that. I would hate for you guys to think I didn't have a life outside following the Steelers...

clevestinks 03-23-2005 05:08 AM

I would hate for you guys to think I didn't have a life outside following the Steelers...[/QUOTE]

Its all good, we most be some dedicated fans , the season has been over for a couple months now.