Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Polamalu's Hair (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=4666)

Hawk Believer 01-31-2006 07:07 PM

Polamalu's Hair

Some thoughts/questions regarding Polamalu's hair:

Is it legal in the NFL to tackle someone by pulling on his hair? I can't think of any offensive players with the long locks, so I think it must be kosher. If so, has anyone tried to pull Troy down that way after an interception?

I heard the NFL was not happy about the long hair trend but they are afraid to crack down because most of the people doing it are Samoan or black and they don't want to appear to be racist.

tony hipchest 01-31-2006 07:12 PM

Re: Polamalu's Hair

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Some thoughts/questions regarding Polamalu's hair:

Is it legal in the NFL to tackle someone by pulling on his hair? I can't think of any offensive players with the long locks, so I think it must be kosher. If so, has anyone tried to pull Troy down that way after an interception?

I heard the NFL was not happy about the long hair trend but they are afraid to crack down because most of the people doing it are Samoan or black and they don't want to appear to be racist.

you can tackle someone by their hair, but only if you can catch them. i think the league tried to say something about it covering the names on the jerseys but that got shot down real quick. if the samoans wear it as part of their heritage i think the league is in for an uphill battle.

Hawk Believer 01-31-2006 07:15 PM

It seems like tackling someone by the hair could be as dangerous to the cervical spine as a facemask. But its not fair to the tackler if he grabs for a guy and comes up with hair. I guess its just a risk they are willing to take.

jaysta 01-31-2006 07:19 PM

Personally I think the league should stay away from certain matters. Hair is a personal choice so if they like it, I say let em' wear it however they want. Besides, Polamalu's "Beware of the Hair" slogan is one of the coolest in the NFL and the way that guy hits...I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him to cut it.

PatriotsFan4Ever 01-31-2006 07:25 PM

I think that to even ask Polamalu to cut his hair would be rediculous.When I think of that guy,I think About that HAIR! And The Hits he throws...I'd like to see him and Rodney Harrison go at it.Both are BADASS wild Hard hitting Safety's.But I do agree,With him,Its mostly about his Ethnic Background.So the NFL will be taking a major dispute into their hands if they are going to get on him or any other African American,Caucasion,Or whatever other Ethnic Group decides to have long hair.It'd be a waste of time for them.

Hawk Believer 01-31-2006 07:30 PM

Totally hypothetical - Do you think he'd still have the hair if he played on the other side of the line?

Its seems like the liability of it would have to trump the cultural aspect. But he is Polamalu.

tony hipchest 01-31-2006 07:32 PM

troy carries on the tradition of kevin green. its great. steelers seem to get to the sb with a longhair on the roster. im all for it!

boLT fan 01-31-2006 07:39 PM

Wasn't there some big debate a while ago when Ricky Williams had dreds? I think, but don't quote me on this, that they said the same rules apply for long hair as they do for horse collar. You can't grab and pull backwards and make them stop suddenly.

Hawk Believer 01-31-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boLT fan
Wasn't there some big debate a while ago when Ricky Williams had dreds? I think, but don't quote me on this, that they said the same rules apply for long hair as they do for horse collar. You can't grab and pull backwards and make them stop suddenly.

I got curious enough to google it. This from Jerry Marbreit, former NFL referee's colum in the Chicago tribune.

Tackling a runner solely by grabbing his hair: legal tackle or penalty? --Joe, Birmingham, Ala.

Any player who has his hair sticking out of his helmet is fair game. A defender can grab that hair and fling the player to the ground with no danger of penalty, providing he does not grab the face mask or inside of the helmet in doing so.

steelguitar 01-31-2006 07:46 PM

Maybe if your a girl you can use the hair.GoSteelers