Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   2010 Spring Training Thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=48065)

Borski 02-10-2010 10:35 PM

2010 Spring Training Thread

I can't wait, I know every year they let me down but when it gets to this time of year I am just psyched for baseball season.

I'm going to a few games down here in Florida and because I usually work over the summer in PA I get to go to a few games up there. Even though I'm a Florida resident I have been to at least one game a season for the past 6 or so years strait and been to a couple in 3 rivers.

Who else is excited for the season?

Borski 03-02-2010 11:44 AM

Re: 2010 Spring Training Thread

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...acbbc_pitmlb_1

Pirates Vs Manatee-Sarasota

Alvarez gets the first RBI of the Pirates for spring training

X-Terminator 03-02-2010 11:50 AM

Honestly, I hope Alvarez impresses so much in ST that the Pirates have no choice but to take him north. But I know it won't happen, because that would put plenty of asses in the seats, and we can't have that. I expect him to be a June call-up just like A-Cutch was last season.

Borski 03-02-2010 01:50 PM

Alvarez batted .750 today, not to shabby

pittsburghp8baller 03-03-2010 08:40 AM

Looking forward to watching the Pirates on the MLB network today, Maholm and Ohlendorf are set to pitch i think an inning each. Dont know about the hitters but i noticed that the Pirates dont usually take any regulars on the road with them, would be awesome if T. Sanchez played.

And XT, ill say the same about Alvarez i said about Cutch last year, This makes sense- both money and baseball sense. First off we delay a year of arbitration by doing so. Second, well lets face it, Pirates arent going to break the streak this year. Instead of letting him go through a whole season of that, let him build his confidence in the minors and then while he is hot move him up. Could be a fresh breath of air to a struggling team.

It dont matter anyways, even once Alvarez and Tabata get up and start playing it wont matter we arent gonna be a winning team until we get a BONAFIDE number 1 pitcher (which Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke arent and Lincoln wont be) I think Lincoln could be a top of a rotation guy but not a 1

X-Terminator 03-03-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 778866)
Looking forward to watching the Pirates on the MLB network today, Maholm and Ohlendorf are set to pitch i think an inning each. Dont know about the hitters but i noticed that the Pirates dont usually take any regulars on the road with them, would be awesome if T. Sanchez played.

And XT, ill say the same about Alvarez i said about Cutch last year, This makes sense- both money and baseball sense. First off we delay a year of arbitration by doing so. Second, well lets face it, Pirates arent going to break the streak this year. Instead of letting him go through a whole season of that, let him build his confidence in the minors and then while he is hot move him up. Could be a fresh breath of air to a struggling team.

It dont matter anyways, even once Alvarez and Tabata get up and start playing it wont matter we arent gonna be a winning team until we get a BONAFIDE number 1 pitcher (which Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke arent and Lincoln wont be) I think Lincoln could be a top of a rotation guy but not a 1

Some think Tim Alderson could be that legit #1, but I don't know. They could have drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Lincoln in 2006, and they would have had their legit #1. But of course, Pirates "management" led by Dave Littlefield dropped the ball...as usual.

pittsburghp8baller 03-03-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Terminator (Post 778879)
Some think Tim Alderson could be that legit #1, but I don't know. They could have drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Lincoln in 2006, and they would have had their legit #1. But of course, Pirates "management" led by Dave Littlefield dropped the ball...as usual.

Alderson is our best shot at a top end pitcher, being that he has just turned 21 and has played an entire year at AA.

Borski 03-04-2010 08:58 AM

I'm going to the game vs the Braves today

Go Buccos!

pittsburghp8baller 03-06-2010 01:45 PM

i saw Tony Sanchez hit a home run in his first at bat last night.

also saw the first two pitchers combined for 7 walks in the first four innings two nights ago

McCutchen is 2 for 2 with a SB and a Run scored. Saw him beat out a throw for a infield single in the first game against the Yankees. Looks like he is already close to being season ready

Borski 03-09-2010 02:57 PM

Buccos taking on the Yankees today, scored 4 runs in the first against CC including a three run homer by Garret Jones.

Currently winning in the top of the 9th 8-7