Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Alabama LB McClain reveals he has Crohn’s disease (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49205)

supa_fly_steeler 03-11-2010 01:21 PM

Alabama LB McClain reveals he has Crohn’s disease

Alabama LB McClain reveals he has Crohn’s disease
Steve Wyche
Posted: March 10th, 2010 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Alabama Pro Day, David Garrard, Rolando McClain
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/10/alab...rohns-disease/

After completing the session of linebacker drills, a fatigued McClain knelt down on a knee and held his stomach. He later revealed that his discomfort probably stemmed from his Crohn’s disease, which he said was diagnosed when he was in ninth grade.

McClain said he treats the condition — an inflammatory disease of the intestines — with seven or eight pills daily. McClain never missed a game at Alabama or had to leave a game because of the condition, according to his agent, Pat Dye Jr.

NFL teams are aware of the disease, Dye said, adding that McClain hasn’t tried to hide it. Dye added that no teams expressed any concern about McClain’s health to him.

Jaguars QB David Garrard also has Crohn’s disease and has been outspoken about his condition.

Indo 03-11-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Alabama LB McClain reveals he has Crohn’s disease

:noidea:

Crohn's, Sickle Cell, a dozen other ailments that players in the NFL have-----so what.
Buckle the chin strap....

steelax04 03-11-2010 06:29 PM

At least he's upfront about it and not hiding it.

Psyychoward86 03-11-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indo (Post 784602)
:noidea:

Crohn's, Sickle Cell, a dozen other ailments that players in the NFL have-----so what.
Buckle the chin strap....

these are the finest football players on the planet. Maybe if you had these diseases you would feel differently?

lamberts-lost-tooth 03-12-2010 02:36 PM

David Garrard seems to be able to stay on top of the disease without it affecting his playing time.

Nadroj 20 03-12-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth (Post 785180)
David Garrard seems to be able to stay on top of the disease without it affecting his playing time.

I was going to mention this too, i thought he was the one i had heard of having this disease too, and i never heard of him having much problem or it effecting his playing time.....McClain will be fine hes been fine so far.

Indo 03-12-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 (Post 784740)
these are the finest football players on the planet. Maybe if you had these diseases you would feel differently?

A) How can you be sure that I don't?

B) I deal with people who have Crohn's, Sickle Cell, asthma (like Jerome Bettis),Cancer of every type imaginable (Lance Armstrong), and diseases most people have never heard about on a daily basis...

The people who don't let their medical condition limit them tend to be the most "healthy" (mentally, spiritually, etc)---the "stubborn ones" who say, "I'm not going to let this ailment dictate my Life" are the ones who go on to do Great Things (whether they are professional athletes or just people Living their Lives)

My point wasn't to suggest that they should just "buckle up the chin strap" and not be a wussy (I really mean to use the "other" word, not "wussy"), but rather to say that it's not that big of a deal----successful athletes/people are driven, and they don't see medical conditions as a problem---just a part of life. The fact that McClain has Crohn's doesn't matter...buckle up the chin strap and do what you do Best.

Galax Steeler 03-17-2010 05:17 AM

I say we draft him and then see how he pans out.:chuckle: