Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   overtime rule changed for playoffs (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49595)

pete74 03-23-2010 02:52 PM

overtime rule changed for playoffs

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

SteelerFan091472 03-23-2010 03:33 PM

Re: overtime rule changed for playoffs

I thought the overtime rules were fine the way they were. I think they would've better served to move the kickoff spot back to the 35 yard line.

fansince'76 03-23-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerFan091472 (Post 789229)
I thought the overtime rules were fine the way they were.

They were until Peyton Manning was kept off the field in OT against the Chargers in a wild card game season before last and the same thing happened to Lord Favre this past season in the NFCCG. That's what this is really about. :coffee:

Preacher 03-23-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 789232)
They were until Peyton Manning was kept off the field in OT against the Chargers in a wild card game season before last and the same thing happened to Lord Favre this past season in the NFCCG. That's what this is really about. :coffee:

Naa. This has been a constant discussion for about 10 years. It has just gained momentum. Honestly, I thought it would have changed 2 or 3 years ago.

Personally, I think the change is ok. I would have rather they ruled out OT fieldgoals all together.

tony hipchest 03-23-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 789232)

ironically the vikings are 1 of the 4 teams who voted against it.

i love this rule change. it guarantees our best player who arguably owns one of the most clutch drives in nfl history gets his hands on the ball.

the ravens and bengals obviously saw the importance of not guaranteeing one of the most clutch players in the game, a possession.

i think its funny half the "no" votes came from half of our division. being that we play them 4 times, i hope the rule is extended into the regular season.

pete74 03-23-2010 04:41 PM

i am glad they changed it and am hoping that they will eventually change it for the regular season as well. a coin toss should not decide the games winner. i love the change

AllD 03-23-2010 05:18 PM

I think it's about extra money for commercials and concession stand sales to extend the game. I think the rule stinks. It is micro-managing the players and could affect the way the game is played in the final minutes of regulation by taking away some of the drama and suspense. :::BARF:::

Nadroj 20 03-23-2010 05:22 PM

Im glad its a good rule change and not one that makes the NFL more of a sissy league.

steelreserve 03-23-2010 06:25 PM

Boo-hoo Colts, that's what this is about. The league is STILL butthurt over that loss to the Chargers, never mind that Indy just didn't play very well for most of the game.

Honestly, if you didn't win the game in regulation, you have no one but yourself to blame and you can STFU and accept that there's going to be some chance involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 789243)
Personally, I think the change is ok. I would have rather they ruled out OT fieldgoals all together.

That's probably the best idea of all. To win, you've got to get the ball into the end zone, not go on some weak-ass 30-yard "drive" to get into FG range, which isn't that difficult to do. That way no one can complain that the team who loses the coin toss doesn't get a chance, and they don't have to turn the rulebook into some convoluted mess to do it.

pete74 03-23-2010 06:34 PM

i would perfer they did the same as college but that could go on for a long time in a game like last years saints vs arizona game