Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49926)

Leftoverhard 04-01-2010 06:48 PM

5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
#5 Web Rage


Behavioral scientists have a keen interest in the increasing trend of so-called “webrage”: the tendency for Internet commenters to spew naught but filth and bile with little to no provocation (for some handy examples, just scroll all the way down to the comments section!) But aside from vitriol-laden feedback sections wrought with verbal filth and textual disease, the scientists are also pointing to the rise of new websites, like mybiggestcomplaint.com and justrage.com, which are dedicated exclusively to the world’s saddest expression of rage: Angry typing. These sites don’t even pretend to have content, they’re exclusively devoted to venting nerd fury for no valid reason. Although that does finally answer the age old Zen Riddle: If there were no Internet to flame on, would flamers still flame?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oY_cvdJO20...er%20shout.jpg


These researchers all differ on what, exactly, is causing this outpouring of impotent rage–some point to the anonymity of the Internet providing a consequence-free environment for dickotry, while others blame the anger on a lack of emotional cues like voice fluctuation and body language–but all can agree on one thing: The newfound ability to distance ourselves emotionally, while simultaneously remaining connected on a global level is leading to an overall increase in both anger and stress levels across the board. So, while the Internet may have linked humanity via information, and possibly ushered in a new era of human intelligence, it’s also allowed us just enough distance to constantly tell each other to go **** ourselves unconscious for no apparent reason with a previously unheard of lack of empathy and remorse.

And on a completely unrelated note: Go **** yourselves unconscious, dicktards.


Here's the link to the whole article where the other four reasons are listed

TheWarDen86 04-01-2010 07:29 PM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leftoverhard (Post 792751)


Here's the link to the whole article where the other four reasons are listed


I'm not going to bother as this portion of the article never really said anything.

Fact: assholes have been around since before the internet. Many times both sides of an argument have assholes as the participants. Personally, I think everyone is an asshole at some point or another with very few exceptions. I know I can be, but I also believe it's justified much of the time.

What about you leftoverhard? Maybe you don't "rage" as you call it, but there is always a catalyst (asshole). Can you admit to your role as the asshole at times?

-asshole warden86.

I've been called worse by better. :wink02:

Leftoverhard 04-02-2010 01:12 AM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
How To Act Like An Adult

1. Stay cool in situations. Sure some adults flip out under stress. but I am pretty sure that is not the kind you want to be. Try not to stress and worry if something bothers you, try to deal with it.
2. Do not get into useless arguments with people. Mature debates are ok but try not to make them out of anger. If somebody disagrees with you don't say anything. Just respect their opinion.
3. Don't insult people for disagreeing with you. Calling people "Stupid" or insulting their mothers is one of the least adult things you can do.
4. Be polite under every circumstance. Although this should be common knowledge.
5. Do not cry when you get yelled at, just accept responsibility for your actions.
6. Always think about how people would interpret your actions, statements, answers, etc. Ex. Do not do anything childish in the public or even just with your friends.
7. Use appropriate language and tone when you're engaging a conversation.

TIPS

Try talking with some adults more. Learn how they act and how they talk. Hanging around with mature people can help you become even more mature!

Try having friendly debates with friends. This will help make sure you don't lose your cool in an argument you are trying to make.

Practice your manners with friends and family, you don't see many mature people belching loudly at the dinner table.

Ask your closest friend and dearest family member.

WARNINGS

When trying not to flip out do not bottle up your emotions! This can lead to stress and sadness in the future.

Don't act like an adult just because you want to seem cool. Act like an adult when you are ready to act like an adult, which comes naturally.

Matty™ 04-02-2010 03:30 AM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 (Post 792762)
I'm not going to bother as this portion of the article never really said anything.

Fact: assholes have been around since before the internet. Many times both sides of an argument have assholes as the participants. Personally, I think everyone is an asshole at some point or another with very few exceptions. I know I can be, but I also believe it's justified much of the time.

What about you leftoverhard? Maybe you don't "rage" as you call it, but there is always a catalyst (asshole). Can you admit to your role as the asshole at times?

-asshole warden86.

I've been called worse by better. :wink02:

wayyyyyyy before the Internet lol

there is always someone online who wants to start an argument, this person is generally very young, yet to hit puberty, and finds thrills from acting supposedly harder and cooler by arguing with his or her peers.

TheWarDen86 04-02-2010 09:36 AM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leftoverhard (Post 792848)
How To Act Like An Adult

1. Stay cool in situations. Sure some adults flip out under stress. but I am pretty sure that is not the kind you want to be. Try not to stress and worry if something bothers you, try to deal with it.
2. Do not get into useless arguments with people. Mature debates are ok but try not to make them out of anger. If somebody disagrees with you don't say anything. Just respect their opinion.
3. Don't insult people for disagreeing with you. Calling people "Stupid" or insulting their mothers is one of the least adult things you can do.
4. Be polite under every circumstance. Although this should be common knowledge.
5. Do not cry when you get yelled at, just accept responsibility for your actions.
6. Always think about how people would interpret your actions, statements, answers, etc. Ex. Do not do anything childish in the public or even just with your friends.
7. Use appropriate language and tone when you're engaging a conversation.

TIPS

Try talking with some adults more. Learn how they act and how they talk. Hanging around with mature people can help you become even more mature!

Try having friendly debates with friends. This will help make sure you don't lose your cool in an argument you are trying to make.

Practice your manners with friends and family, you don't see many mature people belching loudly at the dinner table.

Ask your closest friend and dearest family member.

WARNINGS

When trying not to flip out do not bottle up your emotions! This can lead to stress and sadness in the future.

Don't act like an adult just because you want to seem cool. Act like an adult when you are ready to act like an adult, which comes naturally.

Yea, that'd all mean something if it was practiced by its poster as well.

8. Avoid the holier than thou attitude.
9. Don't push your socialist political views into a discussion of liberalism and conservatism.
10. Be a man and admit when you're wrong. Advise your cronies to do the same.

Wanna keep going Mr. Sophisticated Adult?

Steel Mountain 04-02-2010 04:07 PM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
The difference is that people will say things on the internet that they would NEVER have the balls to say face to face. It is a safe haven for azzholes which just allows them to be azzholier. Whereas in real life they would become less azzholy after getting several teef knocked out. Pretty simple if you ax me!

Indo 04-02-2010 04:19 PM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
George Carlin once said, "The degree to which a person is an A-hole is directly proportional to his distance from you at the time".

:oops: --- :pissed:
"Hey (whispers), that guy is an a-hole


or

:oops:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------:mad:
"Hey! That guy over there is an A-hole


It seems that the internet works in reverse---
The degree to which a person acts like an A-hole is directly proportional to his distance from you at the time

Hammer67 04-02-2010 04:21 PM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
I have always tried to check myself and only type what I would discuss with a friend over a few drinks. Heated, yes, but never spiraling into personal attacks.

Godfather 04-02-2010 04:42 PM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
What an idiotic thread. Only a complete idiot would post that link and that article. And only a bigger moron would post in this thread. Stupid assclowns, probably Ratbird fans too.

TheWarDen86 04-04-2010 07:55 AM

Re: 5 Scientific Reasons Why People Act Like A-holes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 793146)
What an idiotic thread. Only a complete idiot would post that link and that article. And only a bigger moron would post in this thread. Stupid assclowns, probably Ratbird fans too.

You're an asshole. :wink02:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum