Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How about we discuss our macro level views? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49964)

Hammer67 04-02-2010 01:02 PM

How about we discuss our macro level views?

Too often, people get bogged down in arguing over the semantics of specific issues and views get muddled. Why don't we have a little chat around your high level views and why you feel the way you do?

For instance, instead of talking about the health care bill or the pros/cons of TARP, how about discussing why you may be a fiscal or social conservative/progressive?

For me, I would say that I am not a Republican or Democrat as I hate the idea of siding with a party just to side with them. I don't like to tow a party line. I guess you could say I am conservative fiscally and with foreign policy, but more moderate socially. Some of the basic things I believe are:

• The Constitution is the framework for what became the greatest country in the world in a relatively short period of time...why f**k with it?
  • I firmly believe in taking responsibility for ones own actions...and that is on many levels. Job performance, family life, socially, politically. Anything from picking up your dog shit to voting to your values.
  • I believe in the motto “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." Hence my disdain for the nanny state and for our current welfare system. I believe in the PURSUIT of happiness not in the GUARANTEE of happiness!
  • I believe in charity, but not forced by the government
  • I believe that it is OK to fail, and that it teaches you how to succeed. We need to make our children understand this.
  • I believe in our Republic and feel the federal government has tramped on states rights for far to long.
  • I believe that God and Government shouldn't be married, although I recognize that our country was founded on Christian values.
  • I believe that the race card is played way too often and too quickly in our society.
  • I believe that college students should never be taken seriously as they don't understand the real world yet and have too much time on their hands to protest things.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. My views were formulated mostly by my middle class family, as well as friends and subsequent education. I come from a family of mill workers (grandfather was a foreman at J & L Steel), but most of them feel the unions contributed to the collapse of the steel industry. My father died when I was five and left my mom with three young children (I was the oldest). She took over his business (tranny shop), raised us and went to school part time to get her college degree and now is a business professional in HR. My parents (step dad, now) have been multiple small business owners and had a few fail.

Anyway, I am rambling. Just thought it would be interesting to get some perspective on some of our viewpoints and why we think the way we do here. I would hope we can start getting away from the personal attacks that people on both sides are guilty of lately...it just totally diminishes your arguments when you resort to that stuff.

Cheers! :drink:

stlrtruck 04-02-2010 01:56 PM

Re: How about we discuss our macro level views?

The Constitution is the framework for what became the greatest country in the world in a relatively short period of time, and it's unfortunate that people who supposedly are in DC to represent us have tried to make this paper irrelevant in today's society.
I believe that children today are not given enough responsibilities at home (i.e. chores) and it shows in their lack of respect, discipline, and appreciation for the things they have.
I believe that our nation is a Christian nation and the only reason people don't want to mention God is because His standard for us is higher than people want to live by.
I definitely believe that there is a line between discipline and abuse, and some parents today either don't or are afraid to discipline their children. On the other hand, the arse's that abuse their children need to be attended to, and quickly.
I believe that people in jail are only guaranteed a roof over their head and 3 square meals a day. Not this luxury BS they receive today.
I don't believe in abortion but I do believe in the death penalty when it's necessary
I believe that every day is a gift from God and we have two choices. We can live our lives that way or we can find some reason to be pissed off at the world.
I believe in PRAY-LIVE-LOVE passionately
Finally, I believe that I should be the type of man that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says, "Oh CRAP! He's up!"

GoSlash27 04-02-2010 08:55 PM

The role of our government is to protect our freedom. When it violates the Constitution, it becomes the single greatest threat to that freedom. Every position I hold is rooted in that philosophy.

JackHammer 04-02-2010 11:18 PM

I'd say you're pretty much a Libertarian, but not a staunch Libertarian. That's about how I am too. I'm also big on the right to bear arms.

Hammer67 04-03-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackHammer (Post 793230)
I'd say you're pretty much a Libertarian, but not a staunch Libertarian. That's about how I am too. I'm also big on the right to bear arms.

If you are referring to me, then yes, I do tend to follow many of the Libertarian principles, although I feel that some federal/state/local government oversight is necessary for the good of the whole. That doesn't mean I think the feds should be in business for themselves. But, for things like utilities or commodities required by law, having the government regulate can, and should, be allowed. The anti-trust laws are a good example.

Libertarians would tend to disagree here...

Fire Haley 04-03-2010 11:02 AM

I just read the signs along the road

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//20...e6357243_1.jpg

hindes204 04-03-2010 12:12 PM

I believe The Constitution is the framework for what became the greatest country in the world in a relatively short period of time (I stole that one, i know, but it was good)...i despise the "living breathing Document" theory that some people believe

I believe in fiscal responsibility, spending is out of control...and I said this when the GOP was in power too, they over spent also

I believe in personal responsibility. I believe children today are spoiled and not taught proper values and discipline, leading to a society of people blaming their problems on everyone but themselves, and expecting everyone but themselves to fix their problems.

This could take forever for me to type it all out, so basically, in short, I believe in low taxes, fiscal responsibility, personal responsibility, strong national defense, energy independence, and free market solutions........nice and simple

JackHammer 04-03-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer67 (Post 793285)
If you are referring to me, then yes, I do tend to follow many of the Libertarian principles, although I feel that some federal/state/local government oversight is necessary for the good of the whole. That doesn't mean I think the feds should be in business for themselves. But, for things like utilities or commodities required by law, having the government regulate can, and should, be allowed. The anti-trust laws are a good example.

Libertarians would tend to disagree here...

I hear ya, and like I said, you're not a staunch libertarian. My main difference with the Libertarian point of view is the idea that a free market is the solution to all of our problems. I'm a believer in a truly free market, but I don't think we should rely on it to the extent that the Lib Party does. That's mainly because I don't really trust private companies(corporations more than anything) to look out for the welfare of anyone but themselves.

Hammer67 04-03-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackHammer (Post 793359)
I hear ya, and like I said, you're not a staunch libertarian. My main difference with the Libertarian point of view is the idea that a free market is the solution to all of our problems. I'm a believer in a truly free market, but I don't think we should rely on it to the extent that the Lib Party does. That's mainly because I don't really trust private companies(corporations more than anything) to look out for the welfare of anyone but themselves.

True, although corporations are indeed public companies and they have to look out for shareholders. But your point is that most companies are concerned with profit. The thing here is that for a company to be profitable in a free market society, they have to cater to their customers or risk losing them to competition (unless you are a monopoly). Capitalism.

This, I believe in along with some government regulation to keep the playing field fair for all businesses.

Vincent 04-03-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer (Post 793337)
I just read the signs along the road

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//20...e6357243_1.jpg

If ever we are in need of a moderator for, say, a "Politics & Religion" forum, could there be a better candidate?