Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The pass interference penalty in the endzone... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5131)

ColoradoSteelerFan 02-06-2006 08:45 PM

The pass interference penalty in the endzone...

Just watched this gem again.

First...the ref was right on top of the play. Jackson and Hope were right in front of the referee. As Jackson not only made contact with Hope, but had to extend his arm to do it. In addition, not only was the contact more than incidental, Hope's forward progress not only stopped, but Hope actually jumped back slightly.

As Dan Patrick mentioned today on his show....the referees attended training before the season and were told that they were to call offensive pass interference on the receiver when they made contact in a manner designed to create space between the defender and themselves to catch the pass. Jackson extended his arm, made much more than incidental contact and that contact created enough space to assure he was able to catch the ball.

Sorry Seahawk fan.....that's pass interference. It is the way the refs have been told to call it. Don't like it, get the NFL to change the rule.

The ONLY call that appears questionable after looking this officiating angle over all friggin' day long is the low block 15 yard penalty on Hasselbeck after Taylor's INT. As I stated early....show me ONE NFL game all year in which an officiating call could not be questioned.

atrus20 02-06-2006 08:53 PM

Re: The pass interference penalty in the endzone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan

First...the ref was right on top of the play. Jackson and Hope were right in front of the referee. As Jackson not only made contact with Hope, but had to extend his arm to do it. In addition, not only was the contact more than incidental, Hope's forward progress not only stopped, but Hope actually jumped back slightly.

I was making this arguement today at work all day to all the non-Steeler fans. Not only did he push off but the defender's momentum was stopped when he went towards the ball as well. They showed that play hundreds of times on sportcenter last night and you can see that from every angle they give. As Hope was moving towards Jackson he was stopped by the pushoff.

shevdog 02-06-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan

As Dan Patrick mentioned today on his show....the referees attended training before the season and were told that they were to call offensive pass interference on the receiver when they made contact in a manner designed to create space between the defender and themselves to catch the pass. Jackson extended his arm, made much more than incidental contact and that contact created enough space to assure he was able to catch the ball.

Sorry Seahawk fan.....that's pass interference. It is the way the refs have been told to call it. Don't like it, get the NFL to change the rule.

The ONLY call that appears questionable after looking this officiating angle over all friggin' day long is the low block 15 yard penalty on Hasselbeck after Taylor's INT. As I stated early....show me ONE NFL game all year in which an officiating call could not be questioned.

You said it well. I've heard vrap all day that this was not pass interferrence. On those calls, you don't need to draw blood to get the call. Refs that one right.

rgleason 02-06-2006 09:21 PM

I really cant understand how there is any kind of sustained debate or controversy over this play. The only legit argument a Seahawk fan has in regards to this play is that "they shouldn't call it," not that it wasn't a penalty because technically it is an obvious penalty. However, right in front of the Ref, if you extend that elbow and push off on the defender, they are going to call it, regardless of how much effect you think it had on the play. And this was never more clear than on that play BECAUSE HE DIDNT NEED TO PUSH OFF, ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS BREAK THE OTHER WAY.

As said earlier, the Refs are going to call this, they have been instructed to do so, this is such a non-issue its ridiculous. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE RULE, GET IT CHANGED.

brianski71 02-06-2006 09:27 PM

exactly.......it may have been a play that is not called sometimes, but by the book it IS a penalty and darrell dumbass shouldnt have pushed off right in front of the official......they will call that 99% of the time

OX1947 02-06-2006 09:29 PM

the push off was a penalty and the RT held Haggans. PERIOD. Ben's TD, Matt hass's pentaly, fine. But those two penatlties were right calls. I watched them over and over, he held haggens jersey otherwise matt would have got drilled....

marksashton 02-06-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason
I really cant understand how there is any kind of sustained debate or controversy over this play. The only legit argument a Seahawk fan has in regards to this play is that "they shouldn't call it," not that it wasn't a penalty because technically it is an obvious penalty. However, right in front of the Ref, if you extend that elbow and push off on the defender, they are going to call it, regardless of how much effect you think it had on the play. And this was never more clear than on that play BECAUSE HE DIDNT NEED TO PUSH OFF, ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS BREAK THE OTHER WAY.

As said earlier, the Refs are going to call this, they have been instructed to do so, this is such a non-issue its ridiculous. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE RULE, GET IT CHANGED.

You hit the nail on the head. The only legit argument is that they shouldn't have called it...and they shouldn't have. It's like calling a little touch foul in Game 7 of the NBA championships. Not the way to win or lose a game.

BlacknGold Bleeder 02-06-2006 10:02 PM

If he didn't need to seperate he would not have touched him...period the flag and call are correct.The other part they are whining about is why did the ref wait so long to throw his flag...he reached for it right away but he forgot where he had it in his pants, the ref actually looks down to see where it is so he can throw it!!!

BOTTOM LINE STEELERS 21 SEAHAWKS 10

DIESELMAN 02-06-2006 10:05 PM

The play happened with about 2 minutes left in the first quarter.....with all the momentum swings in the game that play was a non factor.....Seattle had plenty of oppurtunities that they failed to capitalize on if your going to blame the loss on anyone blame it on the players and coaching staff :helmet:

Kaish15 02-06-2006 11:00 PM

Anyone have a video clip for this? From what I remember I did see it as pass interference, but I want the proof from the video.