Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Randle-El To Chicago? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5505)

Atlanta Dan 02-15-2006 04:31 PM

Randle-El To Chicago?

This Chicago Tribune story sure makes it sound like ARE is going to the Bears.

"If God leads me here to Chicago, I certainly prefer that situation for my family if it is the best situation for me coming in and playing. If this is a team that needs a receiver or a punt returner or what have you ? those are the things that are most important."

I am not going to begrudge ARE his money and have enjoyed his 4 years with the Steelers, but it sounds like God will be leading ARE to wherever the the best deal is.

I have heard ARE is sincerely and devoutly religous, but when athletes invoke God and family when the real issues are $$ and playing time I for one get tired of hearing it. For once I wish some pro athlete would not be ashamed to state the very legitimate financial reasons for moving on - people in every other occupation do it and pro athletes should not feel a need to put out a cover story for what is a legitimate business decision.

Good luck to ARE at his new place of employment.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...mnistfront-hed

Ambridge 02-15-2006 04:38 PM

Re: Randle-El To Chicago?

Kinda reminds me of Reggie White when he said "God" told him to play for the Green Bay Packers.

BB2W 02-15-2006 04:45 PM

This has been going on for awhile... The Bears said during Senior Bowl week that El would be their first priority in free agency. My money says he will end up in the windy city. My friends at the Bears message board act like he is already playing in Chicago. They don't have much cap room to spare, but I think they will use what they got for El.

83-Steelers-43 02-15-2006 04:51 PM

I'm sure many will disagree, but If Randle El is asking for too much money, let Chicago over pay him. It's still my opinion that Randle El is a good third slot WR but an average second slot WR. With the exception of his punt return skills (which Morgan could take over) I think the guy is not that big of a loss. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see us sign him, but he's not worth breaking the bank over.

We'll see how well he's doing in Chicago next season (If it occurs).

Just my opinion.

clevestinks 02-15-2006 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I'm sure many will disagree, but If Randle El is asking for too much money, let Chicago over pay him. It's still my opinion that Randle El is a good third slot WR but an average second slot WR. With the exception of his punt return skills (which Morgan could take over) I think the guy is not that big of a loss. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see us sign him, but he's not worth breaking the bank over.

We'll see how well he's doing in Chicago next season (If it occurs).

Just my opinion.

And my opinion also!

lotas 02-15-2006 05:13 PM

Yeah, and it seems like a lot of the plays that make him shine and standout to non-Steelers and non-Steeler fans (our "gadget" plays especially during the playoffs) are plays that not every team can run. The Steelers know how to execute those plays and make them work, I'm sorry, maybe I'm biased, but I just can't see the Bears' offense running gadget plays with ARE, and if they do in fact use him as a #1/2 receiver he is short, and I don't know how my confidence is in him as far as route-running.

All in all I love the guy, though.

clevestinks 02-15-2006 05:25 PM

His gadget play skills will be missed, he can not only sell the run on his pass plays, but his passes are on the money. I see us picking up a late round gadget guy again, maybe Mike Robinson, PSU

Atlanta Dan 02-15-2006 05:32 PM

Of course, Hines was the go to WR passer before ARE.

One of the sweetest gadgets I recall, when Mularkey was O-coordinator, involved Hines on a 2 point conversion against the Titans in the playoff game loss.

BlitzburghRockCity 02-15-2006 05:37 PM

Chicago desperately needs another starting WR opposite Muhammed so it makes sense..but we'll see. I'd rather have him go to chicago than the Pats any day.

we have lots of players who do the gadget stuff.. Hines, Cedric, Heath Miller so our options will still be open for that kinda stuff.

OX1947 02-15-2006 05:42 PM

i dont understand it. How the hell is it that every year we are near or over the cap. Replacing El isnt the point its more of having the same core together. how the hell do the Patriots do it and we cant. It doesnt make sense...