Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nance wants Miami reunion (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5666)

BB2W 02-25-2006 07:24 PM

Nance wants Miami reunion

INDIANAPOLIS - Former Miami receiver Martin Nance had his best season in 2003 when he was Ben Roethlisberger's leading receiver with almost 1,500 yards.

Nance, on his workout day Friday at the scouting combine, all but said he would like nothing more than an NFL reunion with his former college quarterback.

"He and I have great chemistry on the field and great friendship off the field," said Nance, who had 81 receptions and 14 touchdowns in 2005 for the RedHawks. "Playing together again is something I think we both would enjoy. Any receiver would love to play with him."

Nance, projected as a late second- or third-round pick, tore his anterior cruciate ligament in Game 5 of the 2004 season. He worked to return for his final college season.

Pro scouts like his size: 6 feet 4, 213 pounds.

But Nance, who has run 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash, does not want to be categorized as a possession (read: slow) receiver.

"I'm a big receiver who can stretch the field but also make plays after the catch," he said.

link: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...50327/1066/SPT

Suitanim 02-25-2006 08:13 PM

Re: Nance wants Miami reunion

Those numbers are better than I thought..hey, I'm a MAC guy, and I didn't hear much about him this year, so he managed to slip below MY radar and I've had my eye on him since 2003.

If he's around in the 60's, the Steelers grab him in RD 2...I would not be surprised if they moved a supplemental pick to move up and grab him.

BB2W 02-25-2006 08:17 PM

I think he runs at the combine tommorow, he says it will be a sub 4.4/40. We'll see...

Suitanim 02-25-2006 08:24 PM

Good point...the combine is usefull in equalizing things. Guys lose inches and pounds and 10ths of seconds just by participating.

tony hipchest 02-25-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim

If he's around in the 60's, the Steelers grab him in RD 2...I would not be surprised if they moved a supplemental pick to move up and grab him.

thats not a bad idea. steelers have alot of picks, some who may not even make the roster (dropping f. gibson last year didnt hurt at all) id hate to see them piss away their supplimental picks like the eagles did last year. teams like the 9ers and texans can use all the extra picks they can get although they draft to high to be optimal trade partners. steelers usually dont have much trouble moving around on draft day though. case in point- they gave k.c. a pretty good deal to move up for polamalu and k.c. still wound up with a great pick in l. johnson.

Suitanim 02-25-2006 08:38 PM

I'm pretty much selling out for Nance...I already did two years ago on another board, but now I'm officially doing it here. The last time I sold out was for Ben, and I think I was WAY out front on that one. I'm even willing to say he's a shot for the #32 pick if he gets all the other stuff (Wondelic and such) right.

The Steelers drafted Troy Edwards as their #1 at WR based completely off his game against Nebraska when he caught something like 22 balls. If they'll waste a #1 on one game, they certainly might use a #1 to draft a guy who has proven chemistry with Ben.

BB2W 02-25-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
i just can't decide between nance and stovall.

I like them both too... It'll be easier to pick one after they run the 40 tomorrow.

BB2W 02-26-2006 12:38 AM

Here is a scouting report...

Nance uses his height and long arms to get his hands on balls that would be out of range for most receivers, and has excellent coordination and body control to adjust to the ball in flight. Defensive backs tend to underestimate his speed because he runs with long, effortless strides but he can cover a lot of ground very quickly. When healthy, he is a dominant player and is cut in the same (big) mold as most of the other receivers who have been drafted in the first round.

Positives:
Ideal combination of size and speed, Martin Nance has a tall frame with good hands. He is a precise route runner and always a big play threat downfield. Nance is an amazing athlete with great ability to make the catch in traffic. He has a lot of potential that has yet to be utilized.

Negatives:
Nance has yet to be truly effective without Ben Roethlisberger at the helm. He is coming off a torn ACL injury that kept him out all of 2004. Nance has decent speed, but doesn?t have a good burst off the line and won?t be able to fake out many NFL defenders.

Overview:
Martin Nance looked like a first-round prospect his sophomore year, but because of injury and offensive woes for Miami of Ohio, Nance?s stock has fallen quite a bit. He has all the skills that can?t be taught such as size and speed, but needs to get a better grasp on the intangibles of the position. With the right coaching, Nance could become a very effective receiver at the next level.

3 to be 4 02-26-2006 08:09 AM

Jim Nantz wants a Miami reunion? Whats he care, he should just be quiet and accept his new studio job.

DIESELMAN 02-26-2006 07:34 PM

Nance ran a 4.55 and a 4.63 in the combines.....C. Jackson ran a 4.38 and a 4.35 and S. Moss ran a 4.39 before injuring a quad