Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bode Miller: Biggest All-Time Olympic Bust (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5668)

Suitanim 02-25-2006 07:01 PM

Bode Miller: Biggest All-Time Olympic Bust

I'm fairly pissed off about this loser. If he wants to drink beer and smoke dope and tank events, fine, but don't accept 7 figure deals FIRST. Don't represent MY Country (Which is already stereotyped as being the ugly America filled with ugly Americans) by being the apotheosis of all ugly Americans in the Olympics, the biggest platform in the World.

All the talent in the World, and the work-ethic of a ****ing slug. He is everything wrong with America, and, unfortuantely, he's what the rest of the World gets to see. Spoiled, overpaid arrogant *******s with bad work ethics who think they know everything and don't know shit.

There's a guy in Akron who was the brakeman for the 4-man bobsled team, and the local paper ran several stories comparing the odyssey this poor guy went through to even get to the games, let alone compete, and the pitiful amount of money he makes working a full-time job to support his obsession of bobsledding against what Bode makes just in endorsements (7 figures). This guy has more heart, more guts, more of the "right stuff" in his non-THC-tainted pinkie than Bode Miller has in his whole slacker body, but the only people who will hear his story live around here. The rest of the World gets the Bode story...

Frankly, I can't decide which of these things I'm more embarrassed of: Bode Miller being exalted by the press even when they knew he was a slacker fraud, or this truly lazy, arrogant, overpaid and under-motivated American shown to the world as an embassador of our Country.

Bode Miller, you fooled us once, so shame on us, but no more...SHAME. ON. YOU!

tony hipchest 02-25-2006 07:11 PM

Re: Bode Miller: Biggest All-Time Olympic Bust

who woulda thought? while skiing drunk was a great marketing campaign (budweiser had to be dying to sign this guy) the alchohol didnt serve him well when it came time to actually compete.

on the heels of this i must give kudos to nascar for giving shane hmeil a LIFETIME ban for failing his 3rd positive drug test or infraction. no other sport has the stones to stand up in this manner. (see ricky williams in his 4th failure facing a 1 year ban)

Suitanim 02-25-2006 07:22 PM

I understand what you are saying, and it's a valid point, but Bode is much bigger than that. There are 6.5 BILLION people on this planet, and only a little less than 300 million in the US.

Of that 6.5 billion, it's reasonable to assume that many hate us, and most envy us...why fuel fires and drive those who envy towards hate?

I think showing a spoiled, talented, lazy, slacker who just doesn't care to the rest of the World as the face of US athletes at this point in time is bad PR. The fact that he garnered the cover of Time Magazine only makes it worse...

tony hipchest 02-25-2006 07:38 PM

yeah, nascar is continental while the olymics are global.

much of the world is watching, while americans are fixated on american idol, survivor, and dancing with the stars. kinda shows why someone like bode could be so full of hype to americans (almost like a hero) but a total embarassment in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Suitanim 02-25-2006 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
yeah, nascar is continental while the olymics are global.

much of the world is watching, while americans are fixated on american idol, survivor, and dancing with the stars. kinda shows why someone like bode could be so full of hype to americans (almost like a hero) but a total embarassment in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Now you get it. He's got his endorsements, and is set for life.

Just imagine if you could put Hines Ward's heart in his chest for the Olympics...he'd have won all 5 golds or probably died trying.

SteelerzGirl 02-25-2006 08:30 PM

I knew we were in trouble when the drama unfolded that Bode competed while he was drunk. When interviewed on 60 Minutes about it, he had no remorse. He said he would do it again. I agree with you, Suit, that Bode is an embarrassment to our country during these Olympic games. There are so many hopeful athletes who would give their right arm to be in the Olympics. Michelle Kwan is a prime example. She wanted a gold medal so badly she could practically feel it around her neck. These Games were her last chance. Unfortunately a groin injury kept her from competing. She left Torino with grace and dignity, knowing her Olympic gold medal dream would never be realized, and wishing the best of luck to her replacement, Emily Hughes.

It's a shame that our young athletes have Bode as an example. We can only hope that their coaches use Bode as an example of what an Olympic athlete SHOULD NOT be. I'm so disgusted with him.

A girl I work with and I were discussing Bode the other day at work. She thinks Bode is just misunderstood and backward. I had to disagree. I agree with you, Suit, that he's arrogant, self-absorbed, and just doesn't give a shit. I'm really mad about his performances at the Olympic games. Yes, shame on Bode!

Suitanim 02-25-2006 08:32 PM

Our Olympic program will suffer for a long time because of him...and the scar of his indifference may last forever.

DIESELMAN 02-26-2006 03:39 AM

SESTRIERE, Italy (AP) -- Unbent, unbowed and ultimately unsuccessful, Bode Miller said in an interview Saturday he is skiing away from these Olympics on his own terms -- content without any medals and impressed by the local nightlife.

"I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here," Miller said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press soon after he skidded off the slalom course in his fifth and final race, completing an 0-for-the-Olympics.

Miller came to the Italian Alps cresting on a wave of expectations and was considered a medal threat in every Alpine event. But he failed to finish three of them and his best showing was fifth in the downhill -- part of a games with few highlights for the U.S. Ski Team.

"The expectations were other people's," Miller said. "I'm comfortable with what I've accomplished, including at the Olympics. I came in here to race as hard as I could. That was my obligation to myself."

As for his obligation to prepare, Miller said he was less ready for these games than the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, where he won two silver medals.

"I've been living my life as if I might have died two weeks before the Olympics started," he said. "That left me the opportunity to dig deep, to go down that other route, to make more sacrifices and get back to where I was."

Miller said that while he might have prepared differently, he isn't one to second guess and he started each race fully focused and determined to win.

He called his Olympic experience "awesome" and cited the gold medals by teammates Julia Mancuso and Ted Ligety as one reason. Another, he said, was Sestriere's bar scene.

"My quality of life is the priority. I wanted to have fun here, to enjoy the Olympic experience, not be holed up in a closet and not ever leave your room," he said. "People said, 'Why can't you stay in for the two weeks, three weeks? You've got the rest of your life to experience the games the way everybody else does.' But I like the whole package. I always have."

He compared his Olympic experience to fellow American Daron Rahlves, who was a favorite in the downhill and a contender in the super-G but didn't come close to the podium.

"Look at what happened to Rahlves. He was holed up in his RV, he's probably the fittest guy out here and he made a point of talking about how important the Olympics were to him," Miller said. "And then look -- a little bad luck and he's got nothing to show for the whole thing.

"Me, it's been an awesome two weeks," Miller said. "I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

The people that determine who is on the Olympic team knew this guy was like this....They need to look deep within themselves and realize that the Olympics isn't about winning at all costs by putting this heartless piece of crap on the team...I can't imagine how many athletes tried out for the Olympic team that didn't make it that have more heart and soul and honor then this doorknob.....its a shame....not only was it an embarrassment but just think what else we might have lost in the eyes of the world.....dude needs to get a dictionary and look up these words...team...integrity...honor.....

Mamaduck43 02-26-2006 04:22 AM

He really ticks me off...... And what is really sad is that he took the spots of possibly 5 athletes who would have given up just about anything to compete in one of his events..... The other thing is that young kids look up to the folks getting all of the press.... What kind of role model is this jerk being for them....

I think that the Olympics lost a lot when they opened the door to professional athletes.... I swam on the National level quite a few years ago, and a couple of times, I received donations to help with my travel to the National Championships..... I had to account for every penny of that money, and if I hadn't used it all on the actual expenses for the trip, I would have had to return it..... The accounting was so picky that when we were putting gas in our car for the trip from Pittsburgh to Florida, we could only use the donated $$$ for 1/3 of the fuel, since my mom, dad and I were all in the car, and the $$$ couldn't be used for their expenses.... And I was not able to lifeguard, nor teach swimming for money, because it would be cashing in on my ability as a swimmer and would be construed as going pro..... Now, there are swim meets with $50,000 in cash in a glass box at the end of the pool for the winner of the 50 Meter Free race.... Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.... We do have athletes who are able to compete for a much longer time, and it was reality that the Communist Bloc countries subsidized their athletes with government housing and coaching, but there doesn't seem to be a real 'amateur' athlete left in world class competition..... And the price of progress is jerks like Bode Miller, who will rake it in, no matter what.....

Sorry - - I didn't mean to get on the soap box, but this issue has really gotten under my skin.....

melroseplace 02-26-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'm not a martyr
damn right he's not martyr, he's a freaking idiot.