Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   American Cheese?...really? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=58136)

SteelKnight 09-23-2010 08:24 AM

American Cheese?...really?

I, for one, have never purchased American cheese. I don't hate it and when I go out if I have no choice and it is on whatever food, I will eat it.

Still, I am curious about what makes people purchase it from the store. It is my least favorite cheese and I have no idea why they keep making it. You have mozzerella, swiss, medium chedder, provalone, munster, pepper-jack, etc. So why EVER buy American?

Anything that tastes OK with American would taste better with some other cheese.

Please help me understand.:sofunny:

tony hipchest 09-23-2010 08:53 AM

Re: American Cheese?...really?

you cant make the perfect green chile bacon double cheeseburger w/o it.

SteelKnight 09-23-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 847420)
you cant make the perfect green chile bacon double cheeseburger w/o it.

That sounds good but it probably would be better with mozzerella or swiss or even provalone right?

So I want to be clear...you HAVE purchaced it...taken it to the register and paid for it? lol

Even your guy in your picture is holding swiss. I don't even know if american cheese is a real cheese or some processed machine created mess. I don't know if I've seen it in blocks. Hmmm...

cloppbeast 09-23-2010 09:11 AM

I'm a big fan of American cheese, actually. Isn't it cheaper, too?

tony hipchest 09-23-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelKnight (Post 847422)
That sounds good but it probably would be better with mozzerella or swiss or even provalone right?

oh, hell no. thats like saying nachos would be better with provalone or swiss. :shake02:

last week i made monster green chile bacon double cheeseburgers. last night i had turkey/swiss/avacado, and the previous night italian hoagie with provalone.

none of those cheeses are interchangable for the "perfect" sandwich. you wouldnt put munster cheese on fajitas, just like you dont put american on a mushroom onion swiss burger.

the best philly cheese steaks are with cheese wiz.

my pet peve is bbq sauce on anything with american cheese.

so yeah, i buy it and constantly have it on hand. i have a kid.

nothing makes a ruffles or lettuce and mustard sandwich better than american.

SteelCityMom 09-23-2010 09:38 AM

It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still good. Plus it is much cheaper and it's a picky kids favorite cheese. So yeah, I buy a lot of it.

vasteeler 09-23-2010 10:21 AM

i really dont like american cheese except for a grilled cheese sandwich, but like someone else said i have a kid and he loves it. so yes i have bought plenty

SteelKnight 09-23-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloppbeast (Post 847424)
I'm a big fan of American cheese, actually. Isn't it cheaper, too?

What do you like about it...the nothingness? lol I wouldn't be surprised if it is cheaper. lol It better not be MORE expensive than the tasty cheeses. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCMom (Post 847429)
It's not my favorite by any means, but it's still good. Plus it is much cheaper and it's a picky kids favorite cheese. So yeah, I buy a lot of it.

LOL. I don't hate it but "good" is being too kind. You should say "adequate"...lol. Once that kid's taste buds finish developing, he/she will turn away from American.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VASTEELER (Post 847441)
i really dont like american cheese except for a grilled cheese sandwich, but like someone else said i have a kid and he loves it. so yes i have bought plenty

I hear you. But even a grilled cheese sadwhich would be better with any other cheese...Mozzerella, Swiss, Provalone.

SteelKnight 09-23-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 847428)
oh, hell no. thats like saying nachos would be better with provalone or swiss. :shake02:

last week i made monster green chile bacon double cheeseburgers. last night i had turkey/swiss/avacado, and the previous night italian hoagie with provalone.

none of those cheeses are interchangable for the "perfect" sandwich. you wouldnt put munster cheese on fajitas, just like you dont put american on a mushroom onion swiss burger.

the best philly cheese steaks are with cheese wiz.

my pet peve is bbq sauce on anything with american cheese.

so yeah, i buy it and constantly have it on hand. i have a kid.

nothing makes a ruffles or lettuce and mustard sandwich better than american.

I hate to break it to you but nachos taste great with mozzerella (with medium chedder too). Try it. I love it. If you are having chilli with the nachos then probably better to stick with that cheese sauce but i think that sause is nacho cheese flavor or something else...not "American" but if you are aving the nachos with salsa, mozzerella or medium chedder are both good.

I agree not all cheeses are interechangeable. Swiss and mushroom is great.

The only thing I will say is American is always replaceable with SOMETHING. It can't be the best. Even when you buy a cheeseburger from a fast food place. It tastes fine but it could be better with something else.

I remember in 2004 wen the people in philly ridiculed Kerry because e wanted swiss cheese on his cheesesteak. That sounds great to me. They were acting like he was unamerican at the same time he was running for president.

I do like mac and cheese but IDK if that powder stuff is really american cheese. It is too good for that. lol

I thank everybody for the feedback. It seems some kids with undeveloped tastebuds have been pushing some of you then you have Clop...who admits to being a "big fan"...lol At least I now understand why people keep buying it and why they keep making it. lol

SteelCityMom 09-23-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelKnight (Post 847447)

LOL. I don't hate it but "good" is being too kind. You should say "adequate"...lol. Once that kid's taste buds finish developing, he/she will turn away from American.

I still like it. :noidea: Even eat it by itself sometimes. Like I said, not my favorite, but it's cheap and good at the same time.

Now if we're talking great cheeses that make American, mild cheddar and (store quality) provolone taste like dog shit, then I'd take a nice Brie or Gruyere any day. But I can't afford that shit all the time lol.

I'm not a picky eater at all though, I'd probably never stock my fridge with American if my daughter didn't love it (more of a swiss and pepper jack kind of girl when it comes to normal cheeses) but I still think it tastes good.