Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When/If You Played A Sport Did You Cheat To Win? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5859)

Lyn 03-08-2006 07:51 PM

When/If You Played A Sport Did You Cheat To Win?

With all this Barry Bonds information out pointing the finger at him for doing something illegal, I got to thinking "Why?" Why would a player do what he did knowing it was illegal?

What is wrong with American society if we can not just win because we are the best? Seemingly, unless a player cheats he is not giving it his all. I do not understand this type of concept, why doesn't a player get "his high" by breaking records and putting up stats by just playing fairly?

Did anyone of you ever have to break the rules to win a championship when you played sports throughout your life? Was that type of behavior even accepted?

Also isn't barry Bonds/Pete Rose getting in the HOF a wash? Should it be? Is wrong .......just wrong .....and you accept the punishment which could be not getting into the HOF?

Dang I am getting old!:)

Koopa 03-08-2006 08:41 PM

Re: When/If You Played A Sport Did You Cheat To Win?

like the late eddie guerrero used to say, if you're not cheating, you're not trying lol

anyway, barry bond should just give it up, he knows damn well he's knowingly cheated, and we all know he has, he should just stop with the lies and walk away forever

DIESELMAN 03-08-2006 09:30 PM

I'm not saying everyone does it but these days people deny and thats usually the first sign they are lying about it.Back in the day people grabbed their nuts and owned up to their mistakes(damn I'm getting old too).....:helmet:

hardwork 03-08-2006 10:37 PM

I heard Fred Smerlas making this point today on the radio, and I agree with him.

The problem with the baseball thing is that you can't just toss these records. All these guys who passed Maris were using, but, how can you prove Maris wasn't using? He went from 31 HR to 61 in one year and never hit over 30 again. I know he had Mantle in front of him, blah, blah, blah, but can you prove he wasn't on steroids? So, whose records do you cut? Was Reggie Jackson on the juice? How about Roger Clemens? He went down and down from '93 to '96 with the Red Sox, then boom, he goes 21 and 7, and 20 and 6 with Toronto.

So, what can you do with these enhanced records? Nothing, gotta live with 'em.

DIESELMAN 03-08-2006 10:54 PM

Maybe its just me but I'm getting tired of people throwing accusations around with no concrete proof of anything.If the book "Game of Shadows" is at least half true then Barry needs to step up and face his accusers and let the world know whats up.....If nothing is true about it he needs to sue the pants off of the writers of the book for defamation of character and liable.Especially if people start questioning the stats of players from 30-40 years ago.If this gets anymore out of hand every player that has ever played will have their stats and integrity questioned.I say "Barry grab your nuts and say something!!!"

tony hipchest 03-08-2006 10:58 PM

the weightroom boom hit baseball much later than it did in football. its natural to think the steroid boom that played out in the 70-80's in football played out in baseball in the 90's. i think the steroid use in baseball is nearly as great as it was in football before it was banned. its almost like a natural progression until the leagues stepped and and put a stop to it. theres just to much money to be made to let these dudes conscience hold them back from diong it. i too think the records must stand.

pucho58 03-09-2006 07:00 AM

:wink: :wink: If I was cheating in a sport,I will keep lying about it untill the evidence is found. Then I will grab my nuts and admit to it. I'm not going to make it easy to for them to get caught.

83-Steelers-43 03-09-2006 07:12 AM

I'm waiting for Barry to prance his son in front of the media camera's like he did last season so his son can shield him from the media questions dealing with his mistress and his steroid abuse. His comments in the media are pathetic and racist.

The guy is a bum. He always will be a bum in my opinion. Seed oil...lol, right.

RoethlisBURGHer 03-12-2006 03:02 PM

I played baseball and soccer.

Well,I didn't use anything like steriods,amphetamines,creatine.I drank protien shakes.

In soccer when I was on defense I got away with holding and some iffy slide-tackles.

In baseball,well,there really was no way to cheat.I played catcher and outfield,and I never purposley scuffed up a ball.

SteelerzGirl 03-12-2006 06:20 PM

I only cheat at board games...(lol). :smile: