Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Curious bout Willie P's Contract (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6003)

rgleason 03-15-2006 12:30 PM

Curious bout Willie P's Contract

For those with knowledge, where do the Steelers stand right now with Willie Parker in terms of Contract? How much is he receiving, and when will we have to decide to give him a serious payday or not?

WWIIOwheelz 03-15-2006 12:34 PM

Re: Curious bout Willie P's Contract

I'd be interested myself. He commented at a Superbowl interview that he hadn't signed a long-term deal yet, so in his mind he hadn't "made it" yet.

Steelers will take care of him.

MNsteelers 03-15-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgleason
For those with knowledge, where do the Steelers stand right now with Willie Parker in terms of Contract? How much is he receiving, and when will we have to decide to give him a serious payday or not?

We had him at absolutely nothing, and I think he had a two-year deal back in 2004 - when he signed as a free agent. He is probably at the league minimum (230k) per year, maybe with some incentives, but clearly one of the most productive players for the dollar in the league. I would imagine if he can back up his 1,200 yards with a 1,400 yard season, he will be looking for a large extension next year.

Which makes it interesting...with Minnesota and Arizona locking up their RBs for the next few years, are we going to see a guy like Laurence Maroney or DeAngleo Williams fall far enough where Pittsburgh might consider trading up to get him?

Suitanim 03-15-2006 06:12 PM

I'd say no to the latter...while both are nice prospects, I honestly think the Steelers are happy with their own 5 foot somethingish, 200 pound somethingish speed back.

Parker will quite likely be playing for a payday this year...I don't see the Steelers changing their style much.

TasmanianTroy271 03-17-2006 05:25 PM

I'd like to think Willie'd stay with us if he had the oppurtunity to go elsewhere, because we believed in him when no one else did. We could've easily cut him, but we kept him here, and that has to count for something. I'd expect an extension sometime soon,

Webfactor8 03-18-2006 12:30 PM

I'd like to think he'd stay as long as the new contract was reasonable. But, if we offer him the league minimum or something pitiful, I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

clevestinks 03-18-2006 04:56 PM

Steelers will not negotiate with more than a year left on a contract. I hope they lock him up soon, so that they cant get him reasonably cheap. Maybe they will wait to see what we get in the draft.

BlitzburghRockCity 03-18-2006 06:15 PM

:iagree: Cleve..look no further than Hines who wanted an extension with 2 years remaining and the Steelers said no.

Parker will get his payday with us, but he'll need to duplicate and improve on last years numbers though. A one hit wonder does not a millionaire make, with the Steelers. Willie can do it, and there is no reason to think he wont.

clevestinks 03-19-2006 09:06 AM

The Steelers did give maddox money early, only because they didnt have the money to give him earlier, and they thought that they were back paying him somewhat. Sort of " Here is money for what you already did"

SteelCityMan786 03-19-2006 07:14 PM

I say give him a deal that keeps him within the Caps allowance. 4 Years 20 Million?