Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cowher - Will Spend More Time In NC (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6082)

Atlanta Dan 03-18-2006 07:29 AM

Cowher - Will Spend More Time In NC

Attached is a link on the Cowher family's upcoming move to NC.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Friday that while he definitely will return to coach the Steelers next year, he and his wife also plan to spend more time in Raleigh....

Cowher, who led the Steelers to their fifth Super Bowl win in January, wouldn't speculate on when he might retire.

"I take it one year at a time and I'm going from there," said Cowher, who has two years left on his contract.

Cowher's future with the Steelers hasn't been a subject of discussion for team officials, said Dave Lockett, the Steelers' director of public relations.

"From an organizational standpoint, there haven't been any discussions; he's still firmly entrenched (here)," Lockett said

Cowher may simply be in a classic mid-life "what do I want to do with the rest of my life?" moment, but if no discussions are going on regarding a contract extension and Cowher does not even say he will be coaching for the rest of his contract, I bet the Rooneys are glad Ken Whisenhunt did not get a HC job.

I believe Whiz is the heir apparent to coach this team in 2007 after Cowher takes a coaching victory lap next season as he attempts to coach a 2006 title repeat.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_434605.html

SteelerzGirl 03-18-2006 09:53 AM

Re: Cowher - Will Spend More Time In NC

Well, what Coach Cowher does with his life is his business. We're all going to hate to see him retire when that time does eventually come, but Whiz would definitely be a worthy replacement. :smile:

Avoid Lloyd 03-18-2006 10:49 AM

Speaking of Cowher, it's kind of interesting that I haven't heard anything from the Cowher Haters lately....

Funny how that happens:sofunny:

Webfactor8 03-18-2006 11:08 AM

I agree Coach Cowher has really put his time in. I love him for it. I'm 21 and, have grown up watching Cowher Football. Whatever he does I wish him well, and I hope (If he gets the job) Ken can find a way to fill the big shoes left behind.

OX1947 03-18-2006 12:58 PM

if Cowher is going to step down, he better do it after 2006, because if not, I think Wiz is going to SD...

Sharkissle29 03-18-2006 01:43 PM

i think itd be too early for him to retire (still a very young coach in the eyes of the NFL) but maybe whiz didnt take that HC job in oakland bc the steelers told them what he could be coaching in 2007. Either way i think we'll be ok, i think whiz will be a great coach

tim686 03-18-2006 02:24 PM

I doubt he will retire. He has a lot of years in him to coach. Unlike some of the coaches who don't know when to retire

Atlanta Dan 03-18-2006 02:39 PM

Bill Walsh, John Madden, and Joe Gibbs all say you burn out after 10 years; the Noll/Shula/Landry coaching tenure probably will not be seen again. We have been lucky to have Cowher since 1992.

I can see Cowher either taking time off to do TV or doing TV permanently. I do not know how he would do as a game analyst, but he has the image that would wear well in a studio show.

FanecaFan66 03-18-2006 02:45 PM

I've just got to say that after the unbelievable success that Coach has had, I believe only 3 losing seasons as head coach, 2 SB appearances and the current Lombardy he brought back to the Burgh he's got to be considered one of the greatest head coaches of the modern era.

I'm 22 so I grew up with him on the sidelines as well and it certainly has been an honor watching his tenure. I just hope he's got a few more years in him.

Mr. Clean 03-18-2006 02:53 PM

I would like to see Cowher stick around for another ten years, but I do not think he will do so. He will be 49 this year, still a young man, and a very successful and accomplished head coach.

Cowher is from Pittsburgh, but his wife is from Raleigh and it's obvious she wants to return to North Carolina, which is a nice place to live. Unless Cowher signs a contract extension this year, he will finish out his contract and step aside. Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm will then become the HC.