Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Huge TE coming to visit..... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6095)

DIESELMAN 03-19-2006 01:57 AM

Huge TE coming to visit.....

John O'Connor, of the Times-Dispatch, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have invited NCAA basketball C Jai Lewis, of George Mason, to visit with them after the NCAA basketball tournament is over. There may also be other NFL teams that want to take a first-hand look at the 6-7 275-pounder. Lewis last played football as a tight end and defensive end at Aberdeen (Md.) High School. But his size and athleticism intrigues NFL scouts, who see some TE Antonio Gates (Chargers) in Lewis. A Steelers scout watched Lewis play in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament earlier this month at the Richmond Coliseum and left impressed by Lewis' dimensions, coordination and mobility. "I'd love to play football, and the NFL is always trying to find athletes," said Lewis.

83-Steelers-43 03-19-2006 08:13 AM

Re: Huge TE coming to visit.....

I know Chevy Troutman wasn't 6'7" and 275 pounds, but I'm skeptical when it comes to looking at basketball players who haven't played football since high school. I recall the Redskins doing the same with Chevy and that lasted all but ten minutes.

It doesn't hurt, but I don't see this guy making the team.

clevestinks 03-19-2006 08:23 AM

What position? TE???

83-Steelers-43 03-19-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevestinks
What position? TE???

For Jai Lewis or Chevy Troutman?

Going by the title, I guess Lewis is being brought in as a possible TE. If you were asking about Chevy Troutman, the Redskins brought him in as a possible TE.

drizze99 03-19-2006 08:51 AM

Bring him in! It sure as hell can't hurt.

clevestinks 03-19-2006 09:16 AM

What round is he projected?? We our set at TE, cant imagine a early round selection?

Tim 03-19-2006 09:21 AM

Doesn't sound like he's even part of the NFL draft, although I could be wrong about that.

drizze99 03-19-2006 09:21 AM

Nah, He is either a late round flier or an undrafted signing.

BlitzburghRockCity 03-19-2006 02:30 PM

With Jerame up in the air right now, that would leave us with Heath and Kranchick, right? So you'd think they'll look for 3rd TE at some point.

rowedf 03-19-2006 02:37 PM

Troutman wasn't even close to 275, he MIGHT have been 240 ... thats a huge difference in a TE.