Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Another wacky Steelers board RIP (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=61383)

thumper 11-04-2010 12:22 PM

Another wacky Steelers board RIP

First we saw www.stillers.com turn into cinders after it had established itself as an active, informative and entertaining site.

But after too many loonies became too active, and moderation got too extreme, that site, at one point, flamed out to almost no activity (I see there is a little bit back now, but not much.)

Then www.stillers-forums.com seemed to pick up a lot of action from former posters on SC, but the same fate ended up - seemingly - smashing SFC. That place got real bizarre - with mods booting quality posters while keeping the nuttiest of all posters around. And lately, it seems some of the nuts started prank calling a mod at work, like in their real life. The site operator said, due to the prank calls, he would likely be shutting down the site. And as of today, at least when I tried to view it, the site is down.

I hope this site is the "sane" site some of us have been looking for. Getting in debate, etc. can be fun. But when it turns into nothing but guttural insults, it really ruins boards. Those past two boards should be studied by a team of psychiatrists.

Lady Steel 11-04-2010 12:40 PM

Re: Another wacky Steelers board RIP

Who cares about any other board except this one? I know I don't. Seriously, dude, I don't think anybody cares, and why was this posted in the Pittsburgh Steelers forum?

thumper 11-04-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Steel (Post 862262)
Who cares about any other board except this one? I know I don't. Seriously, dude, I don't think anybody cares, and why was this posted in the Pittsburgh Steelers forum?

First of all, many people, including me, have been active on other boards but not this one. I mean, you do know that, right? And being that we do post on PS boards, it does make the subject relative. I know the discussion of the status of various boards has been well-received on other boards. <shrugs shoulders> :noidea:

SteelCityMom 11-04-2010 01:56 PM

It's all good. I thought about moving this, since it doesn't have to do with Steelers football, but the locker room would be the only place I could think of, and it would just die there. If Tony or Pete want to move it, I've got no issues.

I've never been to either board, so I have no clue how either is/or was run. Only boards I've posted at were steelers.com (which is full of great knowledgeable fans, but the forums themselves suck) and the board which shall not be named...where a good number of members were booted for not falling into line (myself included).

I hope this never becomes a board with nothing but flame-wars and insults. That shit is going to happen sometimes, but I'd like to think we're all adults and can get over it. For the most part I think it's worked out fine so far. I'm never going to be ultra restrictive on the debates though, same goes for Tony and Pete.

And I know there are times where I'm going to be a bitch (I'm sure I already have been a few times), but I don't want people to think that means they can't speak their minds.

I don't know...I'm rambling. Just have fun lol.

Fire Arians 11-04-2010 02:16 PM

stillers.com's problem is that the forums are outdated and the current mod there doesn't want to upgrade it. it's gone down several times and took too long to get back up, so people started filing out of there. That's how I ended up here :)

I still go by there to check out mill's analysis cause it cracks me up

thumper 11-04-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCMom (Post 862278)
It's all good. I thought about moving this, since it doesn't have to do with Steelers football, but the locker room would be the only place I could think of, and it would just die there. If Tony or Pete want to move it, I've got no issues.

I've never been to either board, so I have no clue how either is/or was run. Only boards I've posted at were steelers.com (which is full of great knowledgeable fans, but the forums themselves suck) and the board which shall not be named...where a good number of members were booted for not falling into line (myself included).

I hope this never becomes a board with nothing but flame-wars and insults. That shit is going to happen sometimes, but I'd like to think we're all adults and can get over it. For the most part I think it's worked out fine so far. I'm never going to be ultra restrictive on the debates though, same goes for Tony and Pete.

And I know there are times where I'm going to be a bitch (I'm sure I already have been a few times), but I don't want people to think that means they can't speak their minds.

I don't know...I'm rambling. Just have fun lol.

I have seen overly moderated sites, that are the worst. Then I have seen the true coo coo boards, where the appeal is like witnessing abnormal psychology. SFC had a mere handful of posters, with 50% seemingly nuts. But you never knew who was really as they posed vs. total fabrications. Some % were total created "characters" without question. But the place really was more about the invention of aliases more than about the PS.

I hope this place is the happy medium - not overly moderated, not overly uptight, but keeping the core discussion on all things Steelers as opposed to a loon house featuring coo coo aliases and the majority of the content being flame wars, not even on subjects related to the PS.

So far, this place seems like a good mix of quality content, good level of participation and updated technology, where there aren't glitches all the time.

Fire Arians 11-04-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 862288)
I have seen overly moderated sites, that are the worst. Then I have seen the true coo coo boards, where the appeal is like witnessing abnormal psychology. SFC had a mere handful of posters, with 50% seemingly nuts. But you never knew who was really as they posed vs. total fabrications. Some % were total created "characters" without question. But the place really was more about the invention of aliases more than about the PS.

I hope this place is the happy medium - not overly moderated, not overly uptight, but keeping the core discussion on all things Steelers as opposed to a loon house featuring coo coo aliases and the majority of the content being flame wars, not even on subjects related to the PS.

So far, this place seems like a good mix of quality content, good level of participation and updated technology, where there aren't glitches all the time.

agree this has been my favorite board so far because it's not overly moderated, but it's not mad max style like stillers.com. overmodding (like steelers.com) really makes things not fun. they were banning people for saying dick lebeau over there, lol.

SteelCityMom 11-04-2010 02:57 PM

Yeah, this will never get to be a totally coo coo board. That's why guys like Stupa-Fly, whatdoiknow and Downbylaw are goners. We don't mind a little crazy, but they were over the top lol.

I don't like over moderating either. And I hope it stays a happy medium too. I'm sure people are going to swear at each other and not get along from time to time, but we're not going to treat people like kids either who can't work shit out.

thumper 11-04-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCMom (Post 862292)
Yeah, this will never get to be a totally coo coo board. That's why guys like Stupa-Fly, whatdoiknow and Downbylaw are goners. We don't mind a little crazy, but they were over the top lol.

I don't like over moderating either. And I hope it stays a happy medium too. I'm sure people are going to swear at each other and not get along from time to time, but we're not going to treat people like kids either who can't work shit out.

Anyone remember "Kill Cowher" and his ilk from the old Stillers.com? That was totally over the top. If he disagreed with any football content you posted (and he pretty much always would, regardless) he would immediately drop ribald, as-gross-as-can-be, "You ___ off your dad and I ___ your mom" nonsense. How people were entertained by that stuff, I have no idea. It would seem you'd have to be in about 7th grade to be humored by it.

Oh, and the other moderation I find buzz-killing is the "you can only post rose-colored (black and gold colored?) about the Steelers, no matter what, or you are banned. They are afraid to discuss any possible weakness or problem with the team, and if you do, they can't take it. I find those kind of fans to be totally lame and weak. If the team has a problem, why can't we discuss it? It's like living with your head in the sand.

No thank you.

That's more for your typical Brown fan. The majority of their boards are flooded with fans who predict that they are now the best team in the NFL, after any win or off season.

Lady Steel 11-04-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 862276)
First of all, many people, including me, have been active on other boards but not this one. I mean, you do know that, right?

So? I still don't care. And you can lose the condescending tone. You posted this thread in this area because it's a high traffic area and you like to thump your own chest. That's the ONLY reason. Thus, your screen name. You thrive on controversy. It's your MO.