Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jets interested in I.Taylor?..... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6142)

DIESELMAN 03-22-2006 09:30 PM

Jets interested in I.Taylor?.....

The New York Jets have been a thorn in the side of the Pittsburgh Steelers thus far in the offseason, first signing former Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen and then outbidding them for the services of wide receiver Tim Dwight.

Now, the Jets may have cornerback Ike Taylor on their radar.

With their trade of digruntled defensive end John Abraham to Atlanta Tuesday, the Jets now own two first round picks in next month's draft, their own pick (fourth overall) and the 29th thanks to the Abraham trade.

Negotiations between the Steelers and restricted free agent cornerback Ike Taylor have been sparse, leading the team to re-sign cornerback Deshea Townsend to a four-year contract earlier this week.

The 25-year-old Taylor has received some interest on the open market, according to agent Scott Smith, but the Steelers? decision to make a high tender offer to the third-year cornerback has kept some teams from trying to pry him away from Pittsburgh.

?It certainly makes things more difficult,? said Smith of the Steelers? one-year $1.55-million tender offer to Taylor. ?But for the right situation, the right fit, something could be done.?

By offering Taylor a high tender, Steelers guaranteed themselves the right to match any offer he might receive in free agency or receive a first-round draft pick from the team that signs Taylor in return as compensation.

That would prohibit a team that does not have a first-round pick from making an offer to Taylor. That means Washington ? which dealt its No. 1 pick to Denver for a first-round pick last year ? and Atlanta ? which shipped its No. 1 pick to Denver as part of a deal that landed Abraham ? can?t make an offer to Taylor.

But the Jets and Broncos, who now have two first-round draft picks each, could be tempted to take a run at Taylor, particularly New York, which released starting cornerback Ty Law.

?Ike is certainly an intriguing guy,? said Smith. ?Really, he?s only started two years as a cornerback, one year in the NFL and one year in college, so he?s got a ton of upside, maybe more than any player in the NFL.?

Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter

Ike tied for the NFL lead with 25 pass defenses last season,84 tackles 69 solo only 1 interception but he could've had more.This year he'll improve on his interceptions can't do nothing but get better. With the resigning of Townsend to provide experience to him we need to keep Ike...

Midnightwriter1 03-22-2006 10:11 PM

Re: Jets interested in I.Taylor?.....

I cant see the jets giving up a # 4 pick for Taylor when there are so a few franchise type players available at that spot and i just dont rate taylor that high. The Broncos could i guess, but they have WR and RB needs before corner so that doesnt make much sense either but would make more sense at #22. I believe that the it is the original draft position the team has to forfeit in this case but is definately something to look into which draft position would be the one a team would have to give up ... if it is a either or, then look out !!!

Steel Pit 03-23-2006 01:07 AM

Whatever the Ike Taylor outcome proves to be, the Steelers will make a positive out of it.
If nobody is willing to give up a 1st round pick for him then the Steelers will sign him at considerably less than expected. If someone does sign him, then the Steelers will be in possession of 2 first round picks which would open the door to a variety of solutions.
They could package and trade their 1st round picks and move up the draft board quite significantly and grab a stud DB. They could trade one or both 1st round picks for a proven DB. The options are endless and I have total faith in the Steelers organization.

Haiku_Dirtt 03-23-2006 01:31 AM

Excuse me?

?Ike is certainly an intriguing guy,? said Smith. ?Really, he?s only started two years as a cornerback, one year in the NFL and one year in college, so he?s got a ton of upside, maybe more than any player in the NFL.?

More than any player in the NFL...? Wow! I knew Ike was a self-promoter but this is starting to smell. The PR spotlight shown on Troy may be starting to blind Taylor. And why not? Polamalu exemplifies exactly what is good about NFL players.

I just don't believe the Steelers are ready to 'go long' on Ike and perhaps a fishing analogy is approriate right about now. Part of me is beginning to think that we are baiting for a first round pick. His agent is making my point for me. "Really, he's only started two years" - one in college and one in the NFL - yet are they proposing that he should be paid as if he is a player with the most upside in the NFL.

Uhhhh. Pass. This is assuming he is gone after next year anyway. There are several draft prospects that we can get into camp this year who can begin to learn under 'Richard' LeBeau. It's not like we have a depleted secondary.

The idea of getting that extra 1st round draft pick is, well, starting to smell like roses.

clevestinks 03-23-2006 07:55 AM

It seems the Steelers, from what I read, are more interested in the possible 1 st round pick they would get fopr Taylor. INTERESTING????

Midnightwriter1 03-23-2006 08:03 AM

I think depends on where that 1st round pick is ... but i guess you could look at it as , if no one takes him then we will have him for a decent price. If someone matches then depends on where the pick is at if worth to match or take pick . Seems liek a smart move on their part.

clevestinks 03-23-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightwriter1
I think depends on where that 1st round pick is ... but i guess you could look at it as , if no one takes him then we will have him for a decent price. If someone matches then depends on where the pick is at if worth to match or take pick . Seems liek a smart move on their part.

I agree, but with Coc, and McFadden, maybe we really feel as if the first round pick would be best no matter what number it was?????

Tim 03-23-2006 08:15 AM

I can't see trading a guy we've already developed into a good starter for the 29th pick. This is a guy that can come in and play this year for a team, you're not going to get that with the 29th overall pick.

Suitanim 03-23-2006 08:16 AM

If the Jets pulled the trigger on this (and I still think Ike isn't going anywhere, anyway) the Steelers would trade away #4. They won't be interested in paying the giant signing bonus attached to a pick that high, at least not this year.

clevestinks 03-23-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
I can't see trading a guy we've already developed into a good starter for the 29th pick. This is a guy that can come in and play this year for a team, you're not going to get that with the 29th overall pick.

Agreed! But what if we dont need Taylor? What if the Steelers believe that McFadden, Townsend and Coc, will get the job done? Just thinking here, we could use that extra pick for a WR, or OL.