Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   C&C happy w/ Day 1 picks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=616)

BlitzburghRockCity 04-23-2005 11:25 PM

C&C happy w/ Day 1 picks

http://secure2.steelers.com/article/52418/

It was a tight end in the first round, because they didn?t have one, at least not one who can contribute in the passing game like this guy. It was a cornerback in the second round, because an NFL team never can enough who can run and hit and cover like this guy. And if there?s another area besides the defensive backfield where a team must have depth to succeed, it?s the offensive line.

The Pittsburgh Steelers concluded the first day of their 2005 NFL Draft with the belief that they had added a different dimension to their offense, another component to their pass defense and a body to a depleted group of backup offensive linemen.

Their names are Heath Miller, Bryant McFadden and Trai Essex, and by virtue of their status as first-day draftees they already have gained a measure of fame among Steelers fans.

clevestinks 04-24-2005 06:45 AM

Re: C&C happy w/ Day 1 picks

Lets make that C&C&C, Chris Berman, when asked said he was most impressed with the two P.A. teams first day draft. He tought the Eagles and Steelers really improved thier football teams. Its easy to improve when you draft top 10, in every round, so considering where we drafted, We had a great day. But in the end, only time will tell.

BlitzburghRockCity 04-24-2005 08:33 AM

While reading that though, you can tell the Steelers like Heath, but they arent gonna go out of their way to purposefully try and get him the ball, until he proves he can handle the pressure. So he's not just gonna be handed the starting TE job, he'll have to earn it.

Prosdo 04-24-2005 10:23 AM

Very true. They won't throw him in and change the offensive structure. If he earns it they will definitely add options if he provides to be a good threat recieving. Still has to earn the starter position and show them what he's got.

BlitzburghRockCity 04-24-2005 10:41 AM

The thing that just continues to worry me about Heath and us, is that Mark Bruener was the best TE in the draft when we got him, so was Eric Green.. both of which broke every record for their school and conference for their positions.. yet we never tapped their full potential in the NFL w/ their hands.

But w/ Ben here and needing all the weapons we can give him, I'd have made this pick too, especially w/ Matt Jones gone.

Prosdo 04-24-2005 10:45 AM

True. I am really hoping he is not under utilized. It would be a shame if he did get the starter spot and we didn't use him fully. He looks like he could add a new dimension to the Steelers offense. It would be great to see him bring a strong catching TE to this team. A team can never have enough weapons to use. :)

BlitzburghRockCity 04-24-2005 10:54 AM

Tuman is more than adequate at this point, and has good hands.. even though he's not that big, he uses the techniques he learned from Bruener all those years to block w/ the best of them.

All I can say is Kranchick better be lookin over his shoulder...

clevestinks 04-24-2005 11:25 AM

Do we know anything about Bens college days, and how much he used the TE there??

HinesWard4Life8682 04-24-2005 12:30 PM

i remember a year ago about them saying ben was better than eli. they said this because ben never had a good run game, OL or TE. He had one solid WR i forgot what his name was. That's what i remember but ill check on it

clevestinks 04-24-2005 04:13 PM

No TE huh? Maybe this will just add to his game?