Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Bruce Arians Question (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=62189)

ZoneBlitzer 11-17-2010 12:51 AM

The Bruce Arians Question

I started twitching when I saw this article. I can't answer it. I just don't know where to begin.

Anyhow, Brown is calling for replies here:

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...Press+Box+Blog)

Rick5895 11-17-2010 05:35 AM

Re: The Bruce Arians Question

I replied to the article and it is awaiting moderation. I will offer my thoughts and i am sure I will get some rebuttal.
1. 11 td's in 27 redzone opportunities is woeful at best, blame some on execution but the play calling is the same as last year when we struggled.

2. Why the hell is Moore in for entire series and in the red zone?

3. There needs to be some sort of adjustment when we can't throw those deeper patterns, B.A is not capable of adjusting.

4. Look at Sundays game. Brady has the ball out very quickly, eliminates pressure, Ben hold the ball 4 and 5 seconds waiting for receivers to get open. That is a long time to ask "good" oline to hold blocks, much less our injury riddled line.

5. Aside from the Green bay game last season, I haven't seen our offense really bail the defense out of a sub par game in years.

Ben threw for 250 yards in the 4th quarter, so what, when we needed this offense to step up in the first half they were non existant, 1 FG in two red zone trips killed us early. When mendy is out of the game people know we are likely to throw so they either blitz or have a "blanket" coverage. Mendy needs to be spelled off once in a while but never for entire offensive series and never in the red zone.
This all falls on the system which is Bruce Arians. Unfortunately he is here to stay at least for the rest of this season, making this change half way through is counter productive IMO.

Just one guys observations.

sharkweek 11-17-2010 05:51 AM

All I know is we need a OC that can unleash Ben, not hold him back. Ben has proven time and again that he can put this team on his back and bring us 4th Q victories if need be. But it would be nice to amass some hefty leads in the first 3 quarters to where we don't need to come back from a late game deficit.

This run-run-pass garbage is fine if:
A. we actually have a formidable O-Line
B. we don't have a QB we can trust to win game solely on his passing

Another troubling trend is Arians outsmarting himself. If its 3rd/4th and inches why the hell are we running a sweep EVERY SINGLE TIME? If our OL/RBs can't win a short game straight up the middle then at least let our franchise QB make a play.

Whodis 11-17-2010 06:39 AM

The Tribune is such a bunch of homers. Nothing has been more consistant then the offensive play calling. The Tribune will always point out the offensive line or a blown coverage by the defense before they ever call out Arians. I wish some one would call him out in the media.

TRH 11-17-2010 07:31 AM

Arians is getting called out all the time locally in the media, even enough to generate a few comments on ESPN even.
But my gut feeling is that he's not going anywhere. He'll be here next year.
Remember, Tomlin is talking "execution". The guys on the field aren't executing the plays.
My main problem w/Arians is that we're way too predictable. Other teams know what to expect, especially in the red zone. Again, if i had to guess, Arians will not only be here the rest of this year, but next year as well.

NYC_Steeler 11-17-2010 07:43 AM

How can you possibly execute idiotic plays? When you basically telegraph what you are going to do against the opposing defense, they will line up in a formation and counter with a play they know you can't stop. We've seen this over and over again, but for some strange reason, Arians does not seem to understand the concept. What's that old saying: "those who fail to heed history are doomed to repeat it"?, or something like that. And as the great and wise Yogi Berra said: "it's like deja vu all over again". 2009 is creeping back folks - here we go again. Buckle up, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Atlanta Dan 11-17-2010 07:56 AM

The offense has been mediocre over the last 4 seasons - even in the 2008 season the team was 20th in points scored and 22nd in yards gained as the defense won games when the offense could not crack 20 points.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

The only encouraging aspect I see from the mid-season execution of Jeff Reed (which I see as a mistake unless there are a lot of off the field issues over the last several months that nobody is talking about) is that it was the type of move Cowher would make.

If you did not get a head coaching job after working as a coordinator under Cowher (Capers, Haslett, Gailey, Mularkey) Cowher would usually fire the coordinator after several years (Erhardt, Sherman, Gilbride, Lewis).

Since nobody is looking to hire Arians as a HC maybe Tomlin will channel the spirit of Cowher and pull the plug - Roethlisberger is in no position to save Arians this time.

plenewken 11-17-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 867690)
The offense has been mediocre over the last 4 seasons - even in the 2008 season the team was 20th in points scored and 22nd in yards gained as the defense won games when the offense could not crack 20 points.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

+1. Ben's number of sacks is gonna grow real fast too. The guy couldn't throw fast enough to save his @ss. Arians must be paid on the number of sacks his QB takes.

kirklandrules 11-17-2010 03:04 PM

I certainly won't defend Arians, especially since I provided my fair share of critism in various posts. But after this Patriots game, I do agree with Tomlin. As a team, they failed to execute ... coaches and players. The Patriots played a very bad game last weekend against Cleveland (and a lot of people thought they were in serious trouble), yet responded against the Steelers. To a man, the Steelers players have to go out and man up next week (as taught by the Pats ... whom I hate very much). And I think it all starts in the trenches .. the o-line has to blow open holes for the running game and the d-line needs to push the opposing o-line and take up multiple blockers. Hopefully, this was just a let down week and they get their act together next week. Will we see the 2008 team that face mid-season adversity and ultimately went on to win a Super Bowl? Or will we see the 2009 team that faced mid-season adversity and struggled through a 5 game losing slump?

kirklandrules 11-17-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick5895 (Post 867660)
2. Why the hell is Moore in for entire series and in the red zone?

Didn't they say Mendy had a sore shoulder this week and that limited his playing time?