Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Compensatory picks (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6227)

BB2W 03-27-2006 04:35 PM

Compensatory picks

Also today, the NFL rewarded the Steelers with three of the top eight compensatory draft picks handed out to teams for losing players in free agency a year ago.

The Steelers received two fourth-round picks and a fifth among the 32 extra picks the league issued. Their two fourth-round picks are the 131st and 133rd overall in the draft and their fifth-round pick is 167th overall.

That gives them 10 picks in the April 29-30 draft, including seven original choices (one in each round).

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06086/677291-100.stm

TasmanianTroy271 03-27-2006 04:55 PM

Re: Compensatory picks

lol I had guessed for my mock that we wouldn't get a third rounder. Like someone said, whenever you only get a 2nd roudner for a starting QB on the trade market (Culpepper), I figured we wouldn't get a 3rd for a lazy WR that gives up way too much. But I'm sure the steelers will be able to make these picks useful, Whether we use them to draft (Ike, Foote, and Ward were 4th rounders) or whether we use them to move up in the second round to get someone like Donte Whitner

Another thing, Looking forward, What'll we get next year for Compensatory picks as of now? I'm thinking Bailey and Kimo balance each other our, so maybe 2 4ths?

clevestinks 03-27-2006 05:42 PM

Didnt we draft Freddie "The Bust Gibson in the fourth last year? Although we are usually pretty good at late picks.

BB2W 03-27-2006 06:01 PM

I would be suprised if ten rookies could make this team...

Hopefully with all these picks they can improve their posiiton in a round to get the guy they want if need be.

Midnightwriter1 03-27-2006 07:04 PM

true true, so hopefully we will be able to move up in a few rounds.

BCEDGE 03-27-2006 07:09 PM

I doubt the extra picks could let us make a huge move since the comp picks cannot be traded...but you know the steelers will put them to good use.

SteelerMurf 03-27-2006 07:21 PM

I remember one other year when I think we actually traded away a pick that current year to get one the following year.

If we don't use these picks to move up in any rounds, we might see the same thing. What is the use of drafting 10 guys knowing only 6 will even be able to make the team.

Hawk Believer 03-27-2006 07:43 PM

Dwight Clark was the 249th draft pick of his year.....

TasmanianTroy271 03-27-2006 07:49 PM

Yea, the NFL has kind of hamstringed us by giving us 2 picks in the 4th that we can't trade away, Maybe we'll trade our 4th, 5th, and 6th to move up? who knows.

Plus, I'm kinda upset that they gave The Jets a third rounder for LaMont Jordan, and we didn't get one for Burress. I mean, Jordan wasn't the main back for the Jets, Martin was, wasn't he?

BCEDGE 03-27-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
Yea, the NFL has kind of hamstringed us by giving us 2 picks in the 4th that we can't trade away, Maybe we'll trade our 4th, 5th, and 6th to move up? who knows.

Plus, I'm kinda upset that they gave The Jets a third rounder for LaMont Jordan, and we didn't get one for Burress. I mean, Jordan wasn't the main back for the Jets, Martin was, wasn't he?

Now now...i am sure the fact they are a New York team is just a mere coincidence...lol.