Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ravens To Give Away 71,000 Purple “Rally Towels” (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=63044)

mesaSteeler 11-29-2010 06:33 PM

Ravens To Give Away 71,000 Purple “Rally Towels”

Ravens To Give Away 71,000 Purple “Rally Towels”
By
Kirk Klett
»Football News Now Staff Writer» November 29, 2010 - 4:34 pm
http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/...-rally-towels/

John HarbaughThe Baltimore Ravens and Verizon Wireless have teamed up to create an ocean of purple this Sunday night when the Pittsburgh Steelers travel to M&T Bank Stadium to play for sole possession of first place in the AFC North.

Verizon Wireless agreed provide 71,000 fans with purple “rally towels” when they enter the stadium.

“Verizon Wireless joins Baltimore Ravens fans with this great show of team support, and we encourage all to display these towels to cheer our team on during Sunday’s game,” said Mike Maiorana, regional president of Verizon Wireless.

Fans are encouraged to arrive in their seats ten minutes prior to kickoff in hopes the towels will be in full effect for the introductions of the Ravens starters in front of the nationally televised audience.

“Our fans are dedicated and extremely passionate – especially when it comes to playing the rival Steelers,” Ravens vice president of corporate sales and partnerships Mark Burdett said. “M&T Bank Stadium boasts one of the NFL’s premier home-field advantages, and our players feed off our fans’ energy. We’re excited to see everyone wave their towel proudly, so a sea of purple will be on display for the national audience.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers are widely known for their yellow “Terrible Towels” invented by the late Steelers radio broadcaster, Myron Cope. “The Terrible Towel is arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team, has raised millions of dollars for charity and is displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame,” as reported by the Associated Press.

The clash of purple and yellow towels this Sunday will certainly add an entertaining dynamic to rivalry.

SoCalFan 11-29-2010 06:39 PM

Re: Ravens To Give Away 71,000 Purple “Rally Towels”

How Gay!!! Seems,talking down on our towel is only jealousy,being they had to copy!At least the few Terrible Towels will stand out well!

SteelerEmpire 11-29-2010 06:58 PM

Well I know who NOT to get a cell phone from... Besides, let them wave those towels, it will just motivate the team more as some form of mocking...

NEWstevo 11-29-2010 07:12 PM

Imitation is the best complement.

Go Steelers!

bobby jr 11-29-2010 07:14 PM

I never figured out how waving a towel is supposed to intimidate an opposing player. What is the evidence that it works? Do the Steelers have a better home record than other non-towel waving NFL cities?

ricardisimo 11-29-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalFan (Post 872607)
How Gay!!! Seems,talking down on our towel is only jealousy,being they had to copy!At least the few Terrible Towels will stand out well!

I don't know... all of that purple and yellow, it's just going to look like a Vikings home game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby jr (Post 872635)
I never figured out how waving a towel is supposed to intimidate an opposing player. What is the evidence that it works? Do the Steelers have a better home record than other non-towel waving NFL cities?

You tell me. If you're a Raven player, or a Bengal or Brown, and you look up into the stands of your home stadium and see nothing but yellow waving around, how would you feel?

bobby jr 11-29-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardisimo (Post 872639)
I don't know... all of that purple and yellow, it's just going to look like a Vikings home game.

You tell me. If you're a Raven player, or a Bengal or Brown, and you look up into the stands of your home stadium and see nothing but yellow waving around, how would you feel?

Well if it were all yellow I would certainly feel like my stadium is invaded. But I haven't seen that at any NFL game. I see a few yellow towels when the Steelers are on the road but they are always a small minority.

(It's nothing like in MLB when the Yankees or Boston come to Baltimore and unfortunately their fans completely take over Camden Yards. If only MLB had a salary cap that would end the same teams from dominating and their overbearing fans would stay home once their beloved Red Sox or Yankees started losing. But that is off topic)

If waving the towels worked one would think the Steelers would be unbeatable at home with all those towels waving, but I don't think the Steelers are nearly as dominant at home as for example the Colts are.

kirklandrules 11-29-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby jr (Post 872644)
Well if it were all yellow I would certainly feel like my stadium is invaded. But I haven't seen that at any NFL game. I see a few yellow towels when the Steelers are on the road but they are always a small minority.

(It's nothing like in MLB when the Yankees or Boston come to Baltimore and unfortunately their fans completely take over Camden Yards. If only MLB had a salary cap that would end the same teams from dominating and their overbearing fans would stay home once their beloved Red Sox or Yankees started losing. But that is off topic)

If waving the towels worked one would think the Steelers would be unbeatable at home with all those towels waving, but I don't think the Steelers are nearly as dominant at home as for example the Colts are.

I think the purpose of this post is to show that the Ravens have no imagination and have to constantly look to the Steelers to learn how to act like a real team. Plus, they had to give the towels away! What a bunch of d-bags.

saveus1011 11-29-2010 07:31 PM

Didn't the Redskins try this once? How'd that work out for 'em?

bobby jr 11-29-2010 07:34 PM

So just because the Steelers fans waved towels first no other team's fans should have been allowed to do it?
I'm not even sure the Steelers were first.