Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dan Rooney named co-chairman of the committee... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6372)

83-Steelers-43 04-05-2006 04:27 PM

Dan Rooney named co-chairman of the committee...

Tagliabue appoints commissioner search committee

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, two men who were instrumental in reviving the flagging labor negotiations last month, on Wednesday were named by commissioner Paul Tagliabue as co-chairmen of the committee that will spearhead efforts to choose his successor.

Tagliabue announced March 20 that he will retire at the end of July but reiterated at the annual NFL meetings last week in Orlando that he will remain onboard if a new commissioner is not chosen by then.

The rest of the eight-member committee is comprised of owners Al Davis (Oakland), Lamar Hunt (Kansas City), Woody Johnson (New York Jets), Jerry Jones (Dallas), Robert Kraft (New England) and Michael McCaskey (Chicago).

It is not yet known when, or where, the committee will convene for the first time. The next scheduled meeting of the full league membership is set for May 23-24 in Denver.

The makeup of the committee appears to be fairly balanced among various ownership factions. Notable, however, is the exclusion of some of the more vocal owners from low-revenue franchises, including Mike Brown of Cincinnati and Buffalo's Ralph Wilson, the lone dissenters in the recent extension to the league's collective bargaining agreement with players.

The role of Rooney, the NFL's most senior member and a close Tagliabue confidant, is not surprising. Rooney was the first owner Tagliabue informed of his decision to retire and the Steelers president then disseminated the information to his peers. It had been assumed that Rooney would play a prominent role on the search committee.

It was originally believed that Tagliabue would announce the composition of the committee last Monday, at the outset of the NFL meetings. But that announcement was delayed and, in a wrap-up news conference last Wednesday afternoon, the commissioner suggested the committee would be named this week.

The league has also retained an independent search firm to help seek out candidates. That firm is to meet individually with owners to identify the qualities they view as most important for the commissioner.

Tagliabue expressed confidence last week that a new commissioner will be in place by July, but that is hardly the feeling around the league, with most owners believing the process will be a long one. It takes a two-thirds vote of the membership, or 22 of 32 votes, to elect a new commissioner.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2398240

melroseplace 04-05-2006 04:32 PM

Re: Dan Rooney named co-chairman of the committee...

that doesn't surprise me but I'm glad to hear Rooney will have a say in the decision

83-Steelers-43 04-05-2006 04:41 PM

While Rooney becoming a co-chairman did not come as a surprise to me, the fact that Rooney was the first to be informed of Tagliabue's retirement did come as a surprise to me to a degree.

PisnNapalm 04-05-2006 04:44 PM

I feel better about it knowing Mr. Rooney will be on the committee.

83-Steelers-43 04-05-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm

I hear that.

Tha rock 04-05-2006 04:55 PM

pretty good comitte mr.davis is there to, The jets owner though could be the weak link

Stlrs4Life 04-05-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
While Rooney becoming a co-chairman did not come as a surprise to me, the fact that Rooney was the first to be informed of Tagliabue's retirement did come as a surprise to me to a degree.

Same here. It's great to see the Rooney legends carry on throughout the family. Also is good knowing we will not have to worry about Condoleeza Rice being commish.

tony hipchest 04-05-2006 05:27 PM

since the steelers own the nfl, this is only fitting they have a say in who is their commish.

83-Steelers-43 04-05-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
since the steelers own the nfl, this is only fitting they have a say in who is their commish.

:sofunny: :bouncy:

MichiSteeler 04-05-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm

Definatly!

Although im not too sure about Al Davis on the committee.. Oh well...