Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   to all the Matt Spaeth doubters... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=63742)

tony hipchest 12-08-2010 05:46 PM

to all the Matt Spaeth doubters...

ive seen alot of fans on the boards for about 2 years say he was worthless, couldnt block for shit (as if he were an OL instead of a TE) and that he shoulda been cut in camp.

He does everything that Heath does and this won’t be his first rodeo by any stretch in terms of replacing Heath. He’s done it in stretches before. Matt Spaeth delivered 4 and 5-catch games back-to-back for us. This guy’s a reliable guy. He’s a Mackey Award winner. He doesn’t get the notoriety because he plays behind Heath Miller. But he’s not a backup; he’s a starter -in-waiting as far as [im] concerned. The standards for him will be Heath-like.

those are mike tomlins words, not mine. but i agree.

if heath cant go (thankfully he isnt getting out of a hospital) heres to the spaeth invader maintaining the standard. :drink:

SH-Rock 12-08-2010 05:51 PM

Re: to all the Matt Spaeth doubters...

Hey, if he can prove that he is worthy I'm ready to embrace it.

ricardisimo 12-08-2010 05:58 PM

As I recall, he started out with a bang, then kind of petered out his rookie season. Tomlin called him a "fantasy football phenomenon" or some such thing after his first few games.

I think that quote might go right to the heart of the matter. Tons of people picked him up off the waiver wire in week 3 of that year, thinking he was going to deliver a TD every week, and then everyone turned on him when it didn't happen. That's not the way it works, of course, and he's slowly developed into a Steelers-type TE, which is not likely to be a Gates or Gonzalez sort of deal.

SH-Rock 12-08-2010 06:07 PM

Yeah when I read Heath-like, I see him more like an extra O-Line men instead of a receiver.

Rick5895 12-08-2010 06:51 PM

Spaeth is obviously talented or he wouldn't have won the Mackie award in college. He is unfortunate to be with the Steelers while Heath is here. Matt could start for most NFL teams. He is big, tall and has decent hands. I can see him having a big game vs Bungles because he may be overlooked.
BTW I wold not entertain playing Heath this week, let him heal for at least 2 or 3 weeks, we need him for the playoffs.

stb_steeler 12-08-2010 07:05 PM

Ive allways liked Spaeth....he just doesnt get the play time as Heath

Whodis 12-08-2010 07:21 PM

I think that Johnson is going to be a pretty good TE

SH-Rock 12-08-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whodis (Post 877154)
I think that Johnson is going to be a pretty good TE

Johnson is a linemen with hands

Set-Man 12-08-2010 07:53 PM

Johnson is a good blocker with some strength. Spaeth is a better receiver, but:

Spaeth is no Miller and you can quote me on that.

Merchant 12-08-2010 09:13 PM

After last game, i'm starting to think Johnson may end up significantly better than Spaeth.