Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sometimes I dont understand Steelers fans!!!!!!!!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6393)

coachspeak33 04-06-2006 11:31 AM

Sometimes I dont understand Steelers fans!!!!!!!!!

Let me say first, I am a proud member of the Steeler Nation and recently began posting on this site!!! I have been a member of the Nation my entire life and I have lived on what many would consider the "front lines" as I grew up in the heart of Browns Town in northeast Ohio. That may not seem like a big deal to some of you, especially those who live under the protection of the steel city and countless steeler fans, but imagine hearing that dreaded Bernie, Bernie song (a spoof on Louie, Louie) on the radio everyday during the lean years for Steeler fans, otherwise known as the mid to late 80's.

It is both humorous and pathetic to hear the Browns fans around here talk about the decision making of the Browns front office. Right after they explain how the Browns are "headed in the right direction" with their "best off-season in years" I explain to them that they say that every single year and follow that by asking them how the kool-aid tastes. Then I quickly thank God that I am a passionate fan of a classy, intelligent, and consistent franchise like few others in the NFL.

That being said it frustrates me to no end to sometimes hear similar statements made by members of the Steeler Nation that slightly wreak of the black and gold kool-aid. With our losses to free-agency most Steeler fans have learned that to continue the chemistry and stability of our franchise we are going to lose free agents. Hell, every team loses free agents!! We also have come to grips with the fact that this franchise is never, I repeat NEVER going to throw big time money at a blue chip free agent. Instead, we will build the team from basically two places: the draft and from within the franchise. We may have the best coaching staff as a whole in the entire league. Simply put, our players tend to get better from year to year and I am here to tell you, we are the exception not the rule. There are more organizations in this league like the Browns, Lions, and Cardinals than the Steelers.

So here we are, World Champions enjoying the off-season, and we lost 2 defensive starters(Kimo and Hope), a starter on offense at our thinnest position for the second season in a row (El), plus we still have depth issues at O-line and LB. As earlier stated, I understand that we arent going to fill holes in a big way through free agency, and thats fine, so that leaves us with the draft to fill holes.

We go into this years draft with 10, count em, 10 picks!! With most of our starting lineup set on both sides of the ball and many quality backups (McFadden/Townsend, Colclough, Tuman, Batch, Okobi, Harrison, Hoke, Haynes) there simply are not many available roster spots on this club. The ability and futures of some of these players can be questioned for sure, but what can not be questioned is that 10 drafted rookies will not make this team....PERIOD!!!

So why are so many Steelers fans okay with the Steelers continuing to be arguably the most inactive franchise in the NFL on draft day. As you read this, think to yourself how many times in recent years the Steelers actually made something happen to go get the guy they feel that they can get better with. I can only think of two instances in the last 15 years (trading up to get Polamalu and trading two early/middle picks for Bettis). Now its one thing if the guy that can make you better is going to be there when you turn comes to pick. Heath Miller is a great example, we knew that he would be there at the end of Round 1 last year and do you really think that if he was rumored to go higher, that the Steelers would have made a move up in the draft to get him??? I think not.

We need to make a move in the draft to get value for those picks even if the players selected with those picks dont wear black and gold. We should go so far as overpay for moving up because we areessentially playing with house money. We have three fourth round selections this year. THREE!!! We also have two in round 5. these extra picks are compensatory picks for our free agent losses a year ago and cannot be traded but our original seven draft choices are ours to trade.

Look at last years draft:
- 4th rounder Fred Gibson didnt even make it outta Latrobe's training facility
- 7th rounder Noah Herron lasted a bit longer but barely
- 6th rounder Kemoeautu did not dress 90% of the season (i like him a lot though)
- 5th rounder Rian Wallace ended up playing behind undrafted rookie Andre Frazier
- 7th rounder Shaun Nua was resigned this offseason but he remains a project at best

5 of our 8 draft choices ended up being extrememly replaceable. So if we arent going to try and add dynamic talents to this team through free agency then go get em in the draft. That is hard to do when you draft near the end each round every year... but if you have plenty of picks to spare then package some of them and move up and get a guy who can help this team reach the Super Bowl again.

I feel that down the road we will look back at this draft and see it as a turning point for our beloved Steelers, either it reloads us or it adds 5 to 7 more young guys who will end up behind Steeler retreads like Logan, Mays, Rasby, Stuvaints, Brooks, and others who will join the club right before training camp simply because Cowher and company feel more comfortable with them. Nothing to do with talent, just comfort.

I love the Steelers. I love Cowher. But I hate when we agree with the attitude of the front office that trading picks leading up to or during the draft has any negative impact on our goal of stability.

Last thing, I promise. Think about this... Miami got a NFL MVP runner up just a 2 seasons ago, who is still in his prime for a 2nd and 4th round pick!!!! We have picks that we can afford to throw away for goodness sakes (we threw away 3 to 5 of them last year)..... So let me hear it, why arent more of my fellow steeler fans screaming for the Steelers to trade meaningless picks ???????

JoeyPorter#55 04-06-2006 11:36 AM

Re: Sometimes I dont understand Steelers fans!!!!!!!!!

Steelers fans are the best! They lead the way...all others follow!

Suitanim 04-06-2006 11:47 AM

If we rebuild ONLY through the draft, then why should we give picks away? Why would we ever overpay? If we are so bad at playing "the game", how did we end up 15-1 in 2004, and win the Super Bowl in 2005?

The truth of the matter is, the team also rebuilds by acquiring value free agent pick-ups who fit the system, and flourish here. Think Hartings and Farrior (discussed in another thread) for starters.

83-Steelers-43 04-06-2006 11:49 AM

For me, it's because we recently won a Super Bowl and we are contenders almost every year. For me, it's not "drinking the kool-aid", it's called having faith in those in charge. Having faith in the guys who get paid to make the FO decisions. We pick up the FA's that we feel fit our sytem.

Personally, I shake my head at those who second guess team decisions as If they are the ones running the FO of a team that recently won a Super Bowl and who have been contenders in this league alot longer than many other teams. I'm not denying this organization has made mistakes, much like every other team in the NFL, but I will let this organization's record speak for me.

coachspeak33 04-06-2006 12:03 PM

See, there they go. Saying I am not a good fan cause I question drafting 10 players for anywhere from 4 to 6 or 7 spots... thats b.s. Just because you win a Super Bowl doesnt mean every decision made is not aloud to be questioned.... look at some of our draft history starting with last year.... Fred Gibson in round four is a flat out terrible pick... in round 4!!!! Tai Essex in round 3... jury is still out but I doubt many of you look at him as a future starting left or right tackle... so what did that pick get you???? Not much. It is simple math people we cant keep 10 draft picks .... so lets trade up to increase the chance that they few guys we do get are guys with impact potential & lets avoid wasting picks

GO STEELERS

83-Steelers-43 04-06-2006 12:06 PM

Ummm....by no means do I consider you a bad fan and ever more important, I never stated you were a bad fan. I also never stated you were not permitted to question decisions from the people that recently won a Super Bowl and who make this team a contender almost every year. I don't agree with you, but that doesn't make you a bad fan in my book.

I don't think my comments were any worse than telling fellow fans they are drinking the kool-aid if they agree with the way this team is managed. I simply stated I shake my head at those who feel they know more and could do a better job than those in charge of a team that has one of the most successful franchises in NFL history.

coachspeak33 04-06-2006 12:15 PM

I realize that they are doing the job that I could never imagine doing however.... I can count to 10 and I know that 6 and 7 comes before that number.... therefore we are drafting players, consequently wasting picks, when we will only cut them and watch another team snatch em up for nothing. I am just saying we should get value for all of the picks we have... that is all

YOI & DOUBLE YOI

Lyn 04-06-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachspeak33
See, there they go. Saying I am not a good fan cause I question drafting 10 players for anywhere from 4 to 6 or 7 spots... thats b.s. Just because you win a Super Bowl doesnt mean every decision made is not aloud to be questioned.... look at some of our draft history starting with last year.... Fred Gibson in round four is a flat out terrible pick... in round 4!!!! Tai Essex in round 3... jury is still out but I doubt many of you look at him as a future starting left or right tackle... so what did that pick get you???? Not much. It is simple math people we cant keep 10 draft picks .... so lets trade up to increase the chance that they few guys we do get are guys with impact potential & lets avoid wasting picks

GO STEELERS

I do not think anyone here has called you a "bad Steeler fan" since there are no "bad Steeler fans" I think the point they made is that the majoity of Steeler fans have put their faith in the Front Office as the FO has a proven track record. For all you say we do that is wrong, let me ask you this, "Why do the Steelers have 5 Superbowl championship trophys?" Do you think that the FO just may have done something right all these years? Of course there have been mistakes made, but the FO learns from their mistakes and they do not and will not EVER overpay a player. I think that is something that every Steeler fan realizes.......I mean why should they pay a big name to produce when the Steelers have a bunch of nobodies who play well together..........well enough to earn 5 Lombardi trophies.

coachspeak33 04-06-2006 12:20 PM

Hey 83-Steelers-43,
Take a look at the thread listing Steeler draft... isnt it obvious when you draft Charles Johnson in the first round that your drafting based on need, not because of that individual players talents.... or last year with Essex in round 3... or Troy Edwards in round 1... After our great Super Bowl win and 3 extra picks, we enter this draft in a position of strength, house money, if you will, lets use it and move up to take less of a chance on a more talented player instead takiing a bunch of long-shots on lesser talented players.

coachspeak33 04-06-2006 12:36 PM

There are times when a team needs to accumulate picks (significant lack of depth/talent)
And
There are times when a team needs to add a dynamic player at a specific position
- We did that with Polamalu.... that worked out pretty well for us hasnt it???
- What happens if we dont trade up and get an average player late in round 1.... I dont know but I couldnt imagine the Steelers winning a Super Bowl without Polamalu. Can You?
- And by the way we won five world titles because we drafted dynamic players at crucial times... the seventies is a great example.... but our run the last two years is one too
- Miller, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Hampton... these are dynamic players who make everyone else around them better
We have the means this draft to trade up and better our chances of getting another one!!!