Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mike Tomlin Press Conference, Steelers-Panthers: The Talking Points (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=64693)

mesaSteeler 12-20-2010 05:49 PM

Mike Tomlin Press Conference, Steelers-Panthers: The Talking Points

Mike Tomlin Press Conference, Steelers-Panthers: The Talking Points
Posted on December 20, 2010 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...alking-points/

Mike Tomlin had his weekly media with Monday. Here are some of the talking points.

– A day early due to the short week, and Tomlin’s reaction didn’t change much after reviewing Sunday’s game: Didn’t make enough plays to win the game and it kind of got away from them. A lot of areas they could have been better, but he says that’s the case every week, “even in victory.” “Tip your hat to the Jets, they made the plays.”

– Injuries: Arnaz Battle had a rib contusion during the game, “touch and go” for the week. Heath should be fine. Aaron Smith will be fitted for a shoulder brace and they’ll see where he goes as far as participation. Still early in the week on Troy, status unknown. Other than that, typical bumps and bruises.

– The Panthers ran the ball 45 times during Sunday’s win over Arizona. Based on the people they have, that seems to be their formula and that will be this weeks challenge. Stewart described as a “patient runner” and a guy the Steelers “looked at very closely” when they drafted Rashard Mendenhall. “Steve Smith is Steve Smith. Numbers are down, yes, but it has nothing to do with his talent level.”

Jordan Gross anchors their front and is a “rock solid player.”

Claussen put together a winning performance on Sunday and put up a 100+ passer rating on Sunday.

Defensively it starts with middle linebacker Jon Beason. “Really good inside linebacker, three-down linebacker.” Decent rotation of people up front.

– Thursday night football is a quick turnaround, particularly for a veteran team. Have to be smart and preserve their guys as best they can. That makes it an advantage for the Panthers because they’re a younger team, according to Tomlin.

– Whether or not Troy, or anyone, plays is based only on health.

– Tomlin doesn’t like how they qualified for the playoffs, “crawling in on your belly.” Division title is still in their sights, but it starts with playing winning football on Thursday night.

– Deciding to defer the opening kick depends on game situation, weather conditions and a combination of both (for the record: I think they should always defer. The crowd is never a factor the first drive of third quarter, so that’s when you want to be on offense).

– On the flags being picked up: “It fell out of his belt a few times.” When asked if he would have liked to have seen it fall out on a couple of the Steelers deep passes, Tomlin responded: “I coach.”

– Emmanuel Sanders was the target on the next to last play, but Tomlin said it’s not uncommon to see guys make a play on the ball like Spaeth did in that situation because of the circumstances (needing a touchdown, Ben scrambling, etc.). “It gets hairy.”

– Tomlin was asked about Moore running the draw play on the one and said they’ve used all three running backs to run that play in recent weeks. Gave Jason Taylor credit for making a great play.

– On the penalty on Flozell: Tomlin doesn’t know the details of the how and why, but he did notice that the confrontation took place behind the line of scrimmage in the Steelers huddle area, and the Steelers have a right to that area.

mesaSteeler 12-20-2010 05:51 PM

Re: Mike Tomlin Press Conference, Steelers-Panthers: The Talking Points

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Monday, December 20, 2010
Good news from Tomlin

Mike Tomlin was the bearer of good tidings today as he said defensive end Aaron Smith, strong safety Troy Polamalu and tight end Heath Miller could all be available for Thursday night's game against Carolina.

I don't expect any of them to play - with the possible exception of Miller - but it's positive that the team is even considering it at this point.

Smith will be fitted with a shoulder sling to help protect his surgically repaired triceps. But with just one full day of practice and a walkthrough on Wednesday, it's unlikely the Steelers will rush him back.

Polamalu said he was feeling better after Sunday's 22-17 loss to New York, but is kind of in the same situation as Smith after not practicing last week. Plus, as Tomlin noted, backup Ryan Mundy played well in Polamalu's absence.

Miller practiced on Wednesday and Friday last week. If he can get through practice Tuesday without his recurring headache problems as a result of a concussion three weeks ago, he could play against Carolina.

Tomlin also did not rule out a switch to Trai Essex at left tackle - though he said it was too early for him to commit to such a move.

Atlanta Dan 12-20-2010 06:19 PM

It would be insane to play Polamalu - if he plays again in the regular season it should be in a game to clinch the bye in Cleveland

Hopefully that is just to get in the Panthers heads and spend time practicing for how to avoid Troy

I would think the Panthers are way overmatched but if your offense cannot crack 20 points as has been the case thw last 4 weeks any game is in play in the 4th quarter

tony hipchest 12-20-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

– Tomlin was asked about Moore running the draw play on the one and said they’ve used all three running backs to run that play in recent weeks. Gave Jason Taylor credit for making a great play.

in other words, since teams scout back 3-4 games in preparation, according to the down and distance, and in-game situation, the jets knew EXACTLY what was coming.

tomlin went as far as saying kemo may have tipped taylor off that he was pulling.

brilliant. :dang: the jets direct snapped to tomlinson in shotgun formation (for a considerable gain). i wonder if it ever crossed airhead arians blank mind to do something that might catch the jets a bit off guard?

Atlanta Dan 12-20-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 883018)
in other words, since teams scout back 3-4 games in preparation, according to the down and distance, and in-game situation, the jets knew EXACTLY what was coming.

tomlin went as far as saying kemo may have tipped taylor off that he was pulling.

brilliant. :dang: the jets direct snapped to tomlinson in shotgun formation (for a considerable gain). i wonder if it ever crossed airhead arians blank mind to do something that might catch the jets a bit off guard?

In defense of Arians, running Moore out of the end zone with that play certainly caught me off guard:mad:

tony hipchest 12-20-2010 06:54 PM

i believe it was the ravens vs steelers 2 weeks ago and flaco did a qb sneak in the exact same sitiation and an large reaction was "what a moron their OC is".

:hunch:

in retrospect, that type of conservative move doesnt seem so dumb in a close game vs a damn good defense.

Atlanta Dan 12-20-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 883023)
i believe it was the ravens vs steelers 2 weeks ago and flaco did a qb sneak in the exact same sitiation and an large reaction was "what a moron their OC is".

:hunch:

in retrospect, that type of conservative move doesnt seem so dumb in a close game vs a damn good defense.

OK Ed.B. from the P-G - quit signing in and posting under Tony's name:chuckle:

In his Arians rant today Bouchette also said a first down QB sneak would have been a far better call with that field position

tony hipchest 12-20-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 883035)
OK Ed.B. from the P-G - quit signing in and posting under Tony's name:chuckle:

In his Arians rant today Bouchette also said a first down QB sneak would have been a far better call with that field position

i think i may have to break down and spend the extra 3 bucks a month for pg+.

this ed guy sounds pretty smart.

now that the old SF regime is gone its actually possible to discuss some of his spot on takes, w/o the snarky "ed bullchit" comments and accusations that his sole purpose is to stir up shit and start rifts in the locker room. :rolleyes:

(plus the "free links" i was getting off the pg+ twitter page are only good for 10 or so views) :dang:

El-Gonzo Jackson 12-21-2010 09:34 AM

Yeah, I like what E. B. is sayin. It was a risky call while being in your own end zone. Taylor probably figured out by the formation that Kemo was gonna pull and shot the gap that Kemo made. It was a tough block for Scott to get to.....I dont think Max Starks could have made the block either.

Should have just ran Mendenhall to get some space or else put it in Ben's hands so he could complete a short pass or throw it away.