Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   upon further review- NYJ vs. PIT ( + participation chart) (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=64855)

tony hipchest 12-22-2010 11:13 PM

upon further review- NYJ vs. PIT ( + participation chart)

i always like to cool down after a loss and re-watch the game with a clear head. what seemed like a horrible loss isnt so bad the 2nd time. it was real close and a matt spaeth reception away from being like sb 43.

that jason taylor safety in the endzone completely sucked but didnt really cost us the game. does anyone really remember or dwell on the safety in sb 43? holmes catch erased that. a spaeth reception coulda turned a horrible loss into another great big ben comeback.

if warner-fitzgerald woulda won the sb, james harrisons 100 yd int would be a blip on the radar as opposed to one of the greatest plays in sb history. if spaeth makes the catch, brad smiths return is all for naught.

it was a good game and for the most part played well. the similarities of the ebb and flow of our last sb helped me realize that.

with that being said there is alot to learn after a 2nd viewing.

that shotgun draw was a bread and butter play for the steelers all day. mendenhall had gains of atleast 6, 8, and even longer, three seperate times. moore had a descent gain as well. we just went to the well one too many times, and at the most inopportune position on the field.

pretty easy to guess the steelers would go conservative and try to run it out of the endzone on a play that had burnt the jets so many times before.

now onto the offensive participation chart-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/12...t-versus-jets/

ben played 72 of 72 offensive snaps.

mendenhall played 29 of 72.

i understand preserving him and extending his longevity, but there is something wrong there. then again he got his 100 yds and we almost won.

mendenhall was killing with the shotgun draws. he was also bouncing it outside as well as he has ever done. he made the o-line look really good. ben was passing reall good as well. hard to keep pounding the rock when he is throwing like he was (wr's were getting open on those long developing plays).

on his td run d johnson and b. keisel were the TE's and he followed the lead block of legursky and walked in. would have been a nice play on our goal line. sometimes the same play will work on both sides of the field. i expect to see this formation at a later date with keisel slipping out for a reception. if not, the coaches are morons.

soemtimes it is amazing how all wr's will be open on a single play and ben can take is pick. as much as arians is damned, these plays are a credit to him.

now on to the offensive participation chart- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/12...t-versus-jets/ (thanks to steelerdepot for the film breakdown)

sanders played on 54 of 72 snaps. he was in on all 25 straight offensive snaps to end the game. during that span, mendenhall was on the field 5 times.

during that span they went 5 wide on 8 seperate occasions (only having used that formation once prior in the game).

if heath miller is healthy, you will never see the likes of a. brown or randle el (or even sanders) push him to the bench 8 times in a single game.

mendenhall and heath are 2 of our greatest weapons as is hines ward. we see what happens when ward and heath are knocked out with concussions. i can almost see why they are being so cautious with mendenhall.

ben is our greatest weapon. mendenhall sould be his best friend.

spaeth played 61 of 72 snaps. he was given his time in the spotlight and failed. it is rare that heath has 2 TD's in a game and spaeth blew it. he coulda been a hero (in a contract year no less).

meanwhile in colts land, jacob tamme is outpacing dallas clark. talk about grabbing the bull by the horns.

what is a shame is spaeth has been blocking better and better. that shouldnt come at the expense of his receiving skills.

david johnson lined up at fullback 4 times... legursky once.

johnson and spaeth were on the field together 17 times.

wootawnee 12-23-2010 02:26 AM

Re: upon further review- NYJ vs. PIT ( + participation chart)

You da man Tony......

SoCalFan 12-23-2010 02:36 AM

Nice write up!Just watched it again myself and was just as upset.That drop by Spaeth,that HOLD on Sanders,that special teams meltdown,that look on Rex Ryans face when it was all over.FUUUU*******KKKKKKKK...

Fire Arians 12-23-2010 03:05 AM

i like johnson better than spaeth. better position versatility, better blocker, and i'd wager he's also a better receiver too. spaeth seems like the prototypical TE as far as size goes but he just isn't that good

i wish they would use mendenhall more in the passing game. I like how redman is getting more play time. mewelde moore had some good years for us but i think his time is coming soon, he definitely doesn't look as quick as he used to.

steelerchad 12-23-2010 06:58 AM

Nice break down. I really thought that beautiful drive to start the 3rd quarter was the end for the JETS. This season is reminding me a little of 08. Only losing to very good teams, and playing very close last drive type of games.

Whodis 12-23-2010 07:18 AM

Great breakdown, I didn't know Kiesel was out there for the td run.

After watching did you think we get away from the run on 2nd and short too much? For example, on 1st down Mendenhall runs for 6 yards, 2nd down we pull him for Moore and pass. Then on 3rd and 4 we do a pass.

This break down shows promise IMO. We got two games to get it together and start shooting on all cylinders.

TRH 12-23-2010 08:21 AM

nice write up.
Besides poor officiating, i thought our loss came from 2 things, both S/T.
1. the opening TD run back
2. Subsequent big run backs allowed by the poorly playing S/T allowing them great field position. Even when they didn't score, they were able to punt from a great spot and completely pin us deep, deep, deep. That was a huge factor in our loss. You can't expect the offense (any offense for that matter), to go 97 yards to score every time.

grward 12-23-2010 08:51 AM

Keisel was in on offense? Completely missed that! I guess that's what happens when you go to a bar to watch the game. Keisel as TE? Very, very interesting. I would love to see that man catch a ball! LMAO!

ZoneBlitzer 12-23-2010 03:59 PM

I saw that slo-mo of Ben's pass that went right through the arms of Spaeth. That was an easy catch. It was right on the money. If I'm Spaeth, I work double-time in the off-season catching balls. The guy should be embarrassed to call himself a pro. An amateur could have made that catch.

tony hipchest 12-23-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grward (Post 883741)
Keisel was in on offense? Completely missed that! I guess that's what happens when you go to a bar to watch the game. Keisel as TE? Very, very interesting. I would love to see that man catch a ball! LMAO!

yeah, heres a good video with an excellent overhead shot. d. johnson blows the whole open.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201012...steelers/watch

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer (Post 883863)
I saw that slo-mo of Ben's pass that went right through the arms of Spaeth. That was an easy catch. It was right on the money. If I'm Spaeth, I work double-time in the off-season catching balls. The guy should be embarrassed to call himself a pro. An amateur could have made that catch.

that slo mo shot is horrible example of trying to forearm catch instead of using ones hands. that was the game winner and as easy of a catch that one can make.

palms out. thumbs and ring fingers touching. :doh: