Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   jim leyland vents to the media (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6577)

tony hipchest 04-18-2006 06:25 PM

jim leyland vents to the media

cause his team comes out flat and doesnt seize the opportunity to win a series. this was great stuff and i agree with him all the way but, what i really wanna know is how hard the pirates tried to get him back, if they really tried at all? if so, why didnt it work? i rooted for him with the marlins just like i rooted for ramirez and lofton with the cubs.

SteelerDan43 04-18-2006 07:25 PM

Re: jim leyland vents to the media

From what I took he knew what was going on in the organization and realized it was a bad situation because of his history here and the expectations the would be on him and he knew he couldnt meet his and fan standards with the handcuffs put on him by the front office.

I definatley prefer a Leyland type he knows what he is doing, keeps it in the club house unless he needs to embarass the team to get the point across like he just did. He always has gotten the best out of everyone. He was at Pirates games the last few years as a scout for the Cards I believe

tony hipchest 04-18-2006 07:28 PM

thats kind of what i suspected but wasnt sure how hard the pirates went after him. i was really suprised he went back into managing, actually.

SteelerDan43 04-18-2006 07:34 PM

I think they tried to get him just to have the Pirates mentioned on ESPN, I wouldnt doubt they knew they wouldnt get him and just put his name out there as lip service

83-Steelers-43 04-18-2006 08:48 PM

God's gift to baseball from many Pirate fans.....lol. The guy is a sell out. I hope Detroit bombs.

SteelerDan43 04-18-2006 08:54 PM

How do you blame the guy, he had 4 losing seasons after 92 and he left to go somewhere were he was given the tools to win which he wasnt here. he lost over 85 games 3 out of 4 years (1 strike year). Thats comparable to Mac. Someone like Leyland just cant lose like that

83-Steelers-43 04-18-2006 08:59 PM

LOL, yeah, tell that to Florida and Colorado. The guy bails out when things get tough. He has a history of bailing out on teams. But he's the best manager in baseball history in this city. Give me a f-ing break. This is not surprising...lol.

tony hipchest 04-18-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
LOL, yeah, tell that to Florida and Colorado. The guy bails out when things get tough. He has a history of bailing out on teams. But he's the best manager in baseball history in this city. Give me a f-ing break. This is not surprising...lol.

personally i liked mcclendon. i just figured if leyland was out there looking for a job the pirates wouldve made a strong effort to bring him back. that mightve shown a false commitment to winning though.

like ive said ive been kinda sour on baseball after 94. while i like to follow my team and baseball in general, nothing can take place of football or nascar. im pretty sure neither will rip a season away from the fans.

i cant blame leyland for leaving. hell he knew enough to tell bonds he was better off elsewhere.

SteelerDan43 04-18-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

The best manager in Pirates history was Danny Murtaugh, only managed the Pirates and compiled a .540 record in 15 years with two WS. He is the Chuck Noll of the Pirates. I never said Leyland was

83-Steelers-43 04-18-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
The best manager in Pirates history was Danny Murtaugh, only managed the Pirates and compiled a .540 record in 15 years with two WS. He is the Chuck Noll of the Pirates

That's not what I hear from many in this city when dealing with the Pirates......lol.