Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Earliest Steelers' Smith could return is for Super Bowl (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=66154)

Merchant 01-12-2011 01:35 PM

Earliest Steelers' Smith could return is for Super Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

The Pittsburgh Steelers might not get Aaron Smith back until the Super Bowl, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Watch NFL Playoff games online and in HD with NFL Game Rewind. Sign up now to get full access to the Postseason archives.
Smith, an elite 3-4 defensive end and one of the key cogs on Pittsburgh's defense, tore his triceps early in Week 7 at Miami and has not played since.

The Steelers knew at the time that Smith's injury could have been considered season-ending, but given his importance to the team, they kept a roster spot open for the playoffs and did not place him on injured reserve. He is virtually certain not to face the Baltimore Ravens this week and would be doubtful to play in the AFC Championship Game as well, according to the source.

"The Super Bowl would probably be the most realistic timetable," the source said. The Steelers would have to win two more games to get there, and then would get the pre-Super Bowl bye week as well.

Smith resumed weight lifting weeks ago but has only been able to practice thus far on an extremely limited basis.

OX1947 01-12-2011 01:37 PM

Re: Earliest Steelers' Smith could return is for Super Bowl

Makes sense.

MikeHaullace 01-12-2011 01:39 PM

Considering his past history of similar injuries, expecting him back for the playoffs was more of a pipe-dream than anything.

finesward 01-12-2011 03:07 PM

Whatever gives the team extra incentive to get there...I'm all for it. I would wager if there had been a serious injury to one of the other starters on the d-line they would of put him on IR.

Neil-Still-Rules-14 01-12-2011 03:11 PM

Lol the Rod Woodson story all over again.

Atlanta Dan 01-12-2011 03:12 PM

You work with what you have, not with what you want

Aaron Smith has been a great Steeler but the Steelers have done their best to replace him

pete74 01-12-2011 03:12 PM

i heard that if his MRI comes back clean friday he may suit up saturday. if he cant though i would place him on IR right now

Fire Haley 01-12-2011 03:15 PM

La Canfora is a slimy little weasel, and a Pats fan - he don't know jackshit

"unnamed sources" my ass

Steelers' Smith has slight chance of playing on Saturday

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Aaron Smith won't practice this week, but the Steelers are holding out hope that the veteran defensive end will be able to play, albeit in a limited capacity, on Saturday against the Ravens.

Smith, who is trying to return from a partially torn triceps, will have an MRI taken on his left arm Friday.

The scan, Smith said, will determine where his arm is in the healing process. And if the MRI brings good news, there is an outside chance that Smith could suit up for the Steelers' AFC divisional playoff game.

"It's nice because it's been a long journey up to this point," Smith said. "The guys have done a great job of doing what they had to do to carry us this far. I'd just like to get another opportunity to contribute."

Smith, who dressed for practice Tuesday but did not participate in it, said conditioning won't be a problem if and when he does return to the playing field.

Smith started lifting weights last month. The 6-foot-5, 298-pounder has been running up to five days a week since he started working his way back from the injury he sustained in an Oct. 24 game in Miami.

"I'm probably in better shape than when I got hurt," Smith said.

thumper 01-12-2011 03:16 PM

I knew this all along. Glad the wasted roster spot didn't end up hurting us.

lionslicer 01-12-2011 03:20 PM

Screw the doctors, let him play.

Possibly his last season with the Steelers, I'm sure some muscle damage wont kill him...