Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Who is this kid? Pretty impressive (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6616)

83-Steelers-43 04-21-2006 01:08 PM

Who is this kid? Pretty impressive

Marques Colston climbing charts

The Susquehanna Twp. graduate, who left Hofstra as the school's all-time leader in receiving yardage, may be moving closer to hearing his name called on the first day of the NFL draft, held April 29-30.

Colston, a late-round pick at best after catching 70 passes for 975 yards and five touchdowns for Hofstra last fall, ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at the combine. Combine that speed with a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-3 broad jump and a long shuttle time of 11.27 seconds, and Colston's secret is out.

He isn't considered a late-round pick anymore.

"I think I surprised a lot of NFL people with my time in the 40," said Colston, back in Harrisburg after spending last Thursday through Sunday in Indianapolis.

"I really don't think I was expected to run that fast, not at my size. I think most people were probably thinking I'd run around 4.6.

"But I just look at it as an extension of what I was doing at Hofstra. I tried to play the way I did there. There are a lot of good players on that [I-AA] level."

Players like former Cumberland Valley standout Charlie Adams, another Hofstra alum, who is a Denver Broncos wideout.

Colston's agent, midstate-based Mark Clouser, believes his client is a mid-round pick who can improve his stock with another solid workout March 24, Pro Day at Hofstra.

"Marques was the biggest receiver out there [in Indianapolis]," Clouser said.

"And I think the league is really aware of him now. They know he had a lot of catches at Hofstra and then they wanted to see him play with the big boys in the East-West game. Well, Marques showed he can do that.

"Then, I think the league wanted to get an up-close look at Marques at the combine, to see if he was fast enough. And he ran a 4.4."

At the East-West game in San Antonio, Colston, representing the East, caught five passes for 82 yards. The West won the game, but not before Colston nearly scored on a desperation pass on the game's second-to-last play. Colston caught the ball at the 1 and was stopped.

Clouser said four teams -- Seattle, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh -- have showed the most interest and Colston said he was grilled by just about every team's receivers coach and medical staff.

Of particular concern was a shoulder injury that forced Colston to take a redshirt in 2004. Colston said the injury, a torn labrum in his left shoulder, is 100 percent healed.

"We think this is a bit of a down year for receivers both in the draft and in free agency, and that should only help Marques," Clouser said.

And there's no denying the foot speed. The list of 6-5, 225-pounders who can cover 40 yards in 4.43 seconds is a short one.

"I know I still have a lot of work to do but I know I can play," Colston said.

"I think I did what I had to do at the combine, and I really didn't think there was any adjustment or anything that I had to make to get ready for it. I trained hard for the East-West game and for the combine and I just looked at it as an opportunity to show a larger audience what I was capable of doing."

Source: By Bob Flounders, The Patriot-News
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patri...110.xml&coll=1

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblo...60301192023815

slashsteel 04-21-2006 01:11 PM

Re: Who is this kid? Pretty impressive

I would be willing to give him a 4th round look.

Suitanim 04-21-2006 01:15 PM

Add him into the Robinson/Bloom/Hixon mix.

tony hipchest 04-21-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
Add him into the Robinson/Bloom/Hixon mix.

are nance and baskett in this midround mix too? seems like talk of them has kinda died down.

6'5" 225 and a 4.4 is no joke though. i remember the raw ike taylor being taken based primarily on his 40 time. i think he was the fastest (and least polished) cb in his class.

Suitanim 04-21-2006 01:51 PM

I think we will draft Martin Nance in Rd 3.

Haiku_Dirtt 04-21-2006 02:47 PM

Nance makes alot of sense. Our 3rd round is essentially the first pick in the fourth round - about where he is projected.

I would be hoping for Demetrius Williams. He was clutch when the plays were most critical - a real cool head. We would have to make a move with our 2nd pick to get him though.

83-Steelers-43 04-21-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
6'5" 225 and a 4.4 is no joke though.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm liking the height. While I have Fred Gibson in the back of my mind, the risk is minimized in a year when you have 5 picks between the 4th and 5 rounds. Plus one of the many knocks on Gibson was his intelligence, this kid seems pretty smart.

BlacknGold Bleeder 04-21-2006 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=tony hipchest]

Makes for an interesting combo of size and speed, almost Plax like, I hope they check on his HEART, something Plax lacked.

tony hipchest 04-21-2006 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=BlacknGold Bleeder]
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest

Makes for an interesting combo of size and speed, almost Plax like, I hope they check on his HEART, something Plax lacked.

i hear that. this quote makes me think he may be on the right path:

"I know I still have a lot of work to do but I know I can play," Colston said.

HburgXL06 04-21-2006 08:38 PM

Draft the boy from HARRISBURG!! He even went to the same district school as me: Susquehanna. I would love to see a man from my hometown suited up in BlacknGold.

BuFu