Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The end of Aaron Smith? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=66510)

Fire Arians 01-15-2011 07:12 PM

The end of Aaron Smith?

Don't get me wrong, I love Smith and everything he's done for us. But Ziggy Hood has become a monster. I don't think Smith would win his job back if he came back next season tbh.

ZoneBlitzer 01-15-2011 07:31 PM

Re: The end of Aaron Smith?

It was great to see Ziggy step it up today! It's great for the team!

SmashmouthFootball 01-15-2011 07:34 PM

Smith is certainly still a top-flight player who will play when healthy...HOWEVER..

Ziggy Hood will be a great instrument in helping extend Smith's career maybe another year or two and having a guy like Ziggy who is still developing and turning into a good player on that line is just a great position to be in going forward.

It's nice to see young guys developing well all over this team, it will really help us bridge our past success and super bowls over to the new generation with core foundation guys like Ben and Troy leading the way.

fer522 01-15-2011 07:38 PM

a hell of a game by Ziggy :drink:

harrison'samonster 01-15-2011 07:38 PM

I'm a big fan of Smith, but I gotta agree, If Hood keeps playing the way he is, I think he's got the job

SteelKnight 01-15-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmashmouthFootball (Post 895089)
Smith is certainly still a top-flight player who will play when healthy...HOWEVER..

Ziggy Hood will be a great instrument in helping extend Smith's career maybe another year or two and having a guy like Ziggy who is still developing and turning into a good player on that line is just a great position to be in going forward.

It's nice to see young guys developing well all over this team, it will really help us bridge our past success and super bowls over to the new generation with core foundation guys like Ben and Troy leading the way.

IDK. I wouldn't rush Smith Back. Even when he gets back, I would rotate them.

Ziggy redefined the position today. Let's see if he can keep it up. If he can, he'll be the starter.

The position is supposed to be to occupy linemen so the LBs can get in there for the sacks. Ziggy was often there and he made it so Flacco couldn't simply step up like he did last week.

The pass D is helped and the run D is good. Why not? Ziggy is a first round pick. he should b starting by now.

Basically, Ziggy continues to play like today, Smith will be a back up.

Not everybody plays well in rotation. Some get momentum and learn how to beat certain players as the game goes on.

Fire Arians 01-15-2011 07:50 PM

^ don't know if he redefined the position, but he played like aaron smith of 5 years ago

but I'll take that any week out of the year, any time lol.

Kanata-Steeler 01-15-2011 07:53 PM

Yep, if the torch has to be passed then it has to be passed, what can we possiby say?
Aaron Smith (aka helmets always look too small on his head) ya I luv the guy -a GREAT Steeler forever.

MasterOfPuppets 01-15-2011 08:30 PM

you guys are way too obsessed with the word "starter". all that means is who's on the field first...:doh: ... the steelers rotate the Dlinemen pretty freaquent. its not like smith is going to be cut because hood has played well. hood has earned more playing time , which will be beneficial to both players .having fresh legs in a game is good thing for the D and bad for the opposing olineman. its tuffer two wrestle 2 good Dlinemen for 30 minutes or so , than it is one.

toughsticks87 01-15-2011 08:31 PM

Hood starting with Smith backing up next season, then Smith retires? Seems reasonable to me. But I'm no football expert. Either way, great game Ziggy!