Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Another draft analysis from rivals & yahoo (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6663)

BlitzburghRockCity 04-24-2006 12:57 PM

Another draft analysis from rivals & yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...aft_team_needs

This one is pretty good so far which what they feel the needs of the team are and the direction we'll probably go..

BlacknGold Bleeder 04-24-2006 01:11 PM

Re: Another draft analysis from rivals & yahoo

They say Carpenter... that's the first I've seen him falling that far. Would be a nice fit. Hard to imagine a LB with first pick.

rowedf 04-24-2006 01:57 PM

If Carpenter is there, I dont see how they can pass on him.

Haiku_Dirtt 04-24-2006 02:03 PM

Pretty good summary. Everyone is starting to say practically the same thing. I think we are due for a surprise - hopefully a pleasant one.

I love the Insider line "The Steelers look to address their offensive skill positions and their overall defense with their prime selections."

Isn't that kinda like saying the Steelers are looking for football players in the draft.

The 32nd spot really sucks.

Suitanim 04-24-2006 02:45 PM

Eh, this analysis is so-so. I don't think RB is the number 1 need, but I agree about S and WR. If Carpenter falls, it will make for an interesting decision. Why these guys are still saying we are shallow at DL I can't quite figure. We lost Kimo, promoted Keisel, and picked up Bailey for depth, and I think we have 7 DL on the roster right now.

tony hipchest 04-24-2006 02:45 PM

id like to see who the steelers would chose if they had tha 15th pick in the draft. or to even take a peek at their draftboard would be nice.

clevestinks 04-24-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowedf
If Carpenter is there, I dont see how they can pass on him.

I agree, BUT when will he play here? Would that give an older Porter his walking papers next season, and we have a hungry Harrison waiting in the wings. I`m afraid that a 1st rounder needs to play sooner rather than later, dont get me wrong I`m all in favor of getting better, but where does he fit in

Suitanim 04-24-2006 05:08 PM

Carpenter would come in and challenge to start, I have no doubt about that. IF he was drafted by the Steelers, I wouldn't be shocked to see him give Foote a run for his money (although he played OLB at OSU, he has he size to play ILB in a 3-4).

He's 6'3" 256 and runs a 4.66 40. Here's a bio on him:

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Is very fast and athletic...Has great instincts...Is very natural and does an excellent job in coverage...Does a nice job of filling against the run...Flies to the ball and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Tremendous pass rusher and blitzer...Tough as nails and a true football player...Tenacious and has a great motor...Versatile player...Very productive and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Has some trouble shedding blocks...Is not the surest tackler...Was surrounded by a lot of talent which alleviated pressure and didn't allow the opposition to focus only on him...Can be too aggressive at times...Might not be quite as athletic as his computer numbers would lead you to believe...Needs to use his hands better.

Notes:
Father Rob played for the New York Giants...Saw some action at defensive end for the Buckeyes...Was overshadowed by A.J. Hawk but this guy is a top prospect in his own right...A great strongside linebacker who could also be an impact player in a 3-4 pass rushing role as well...One of the drafts most underrated players.

BlitzburghRockCity 04-24-2006 05:29 PM

Carpenter would be a guy that if he couldnt unseat Foote, Haggans or Porter..he'd be a guy waiting in the wings, and within a year or 2 he'd be starting. We dont have an immediate need at LB right now, other than depth.

I dont think RB is a 1st priority either, but if Lendale White were to fall to us, and the FO liked what they saw of him in their visit to the team, he'd be hard to pass up given Staley's injury problems.

Its a pretty decent writeup..the right players are there, but their analysis of what we'd do in the 1st round is probably off alittle.

clevestinks 04-24-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Carpenter would be a guy that if he couldnt unseat Foote, Haggans or Porter..he'd be a guy waiting in the wings, and within a year or 2 he'd be starting. We dont have an immediate need at LB right now, other than depth.

I dont think RB is a 1st priority either, but if Lendale White were to fall to us, and the FO liked what they saw of him in their visit to the team, he'd be hard to pass up given Staley's injury problems.

Its a pretty decent writeup..the right players are there, but their analysis of what we'd do in the 1st round is probably off alittle.

I agree with all that, but we do need a fourth running back anyway, and I would really love Carpenter, I just thinking to the future and how he fits. I am really looking for a big time WR!