Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67221)

MDSteel15 01-20-2011 11:00 AM

Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT!

Mel Kiper has us taking Tyron Smith* OT USC and Todd McShay has us taking Benjamin Ijalana OL Villanova!! What are you alls thoughts?

PhantomJB93 01-20-2011 08:09 PM

Re: Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT!

I think the Oline concerns are overblown, I think people tend to forget we LOST both our starting tackles to injury, it's not like they're off the team for good. Tackle and Guard will be a concern in the near future but right now I'll gladly sacrifice another first rounder OL pick and spend it on a defensive player and just settle for a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Colon line (maybe even keep Flozell at RT and move Colon to interior line?)

pete74 01-21-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 (Post 900906)
I think the Oline concerns are overblown, I think people tend to forget we LOST both our starting tackles to injury, it's not like they're off the team for good. Tackle and Guard will be a concern in the near future but right now I'll gladly sacrifice another first rounder OL pick and spend it on a defensive player and just settle for a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Colon line (maybe even keep Flozell at RT and move Colon to interior line?)

agreed. i would love to have Pouncey as our guard and wouldnt complain if we took him but i also wouldnt mind if we took a NT or corner in the 1st. next season i would love to see Starks at LT, Adams at RT, Pouncey at C, Foster or Kemo at LG and Colon at RG. i always said Colon would be a pro bowler at guard.

MDSteel15 01-21-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete74 (Post 901323)
agreed. i would love to have Pouncey as our guard and wouldnt complain if we took him but i also wouldnt mind if we took a NT or corner in the 1st. next season i would love to see Starks at LT, Adams at RT, Pouncey at C, Foster or Kemo at LG and Colon at RG. i always said Colon would be a pro bowler at guard.

That sound good to me but I think we need to take an OT in the first couple of rounds to back them up in case of injury!

BKAnthem 01-28-2011 12:05 PM

OVERBLOWN??? don't let this run fool you, Oline and Corner is still a weakness,especially O line Buffalo showed that.... We NEED Olineman and Corner in the first 2 rounds, hell the first 4...then we can go Dline, lord knows we have enough LB's,WR's and RB's

Aussie_steeler 01-28-2011 07:13 PM

give Tyron Smith 2 years to put on some muscle and you will have a LT that will cover bens blindside as well as anyone.

By all reports he has great footwork, skills and technique. The only knock is that he is under 300lbs.

Ijalana will climb draft boards and may end up at the bottom of the first round. Mike Pouncey will be the higher rated guard (but could well be gone)

I would be happy with either pick

steelerchad 01-29-2011 03:30 PM

I agree with drafting a tackle and moving Colon to RG. I think Flo could play tackle for 1 more year giving the new pick 1 year to learn. Remember we got Pouncey at #16 I think. We won't be picking until #32 this year. Pouncey being ready to start the season at Center after coming out as a Junior shows what a great player he is. Making the pro bowl in his first year, shows he has already earned his battle stripes with those around the league. Barring injury, this guy may be the greatest center the leauge has ever seen in the next 10 years. Centers just aren't suppossed to be this athletic.

Merchant 02-01-2011 12:07 AM

Last draft OT had ridiculous depth. This year i'm not impressed. I think we can survive with Starks and Colon (or Flo) and go Guard (hopefully Pouncey :thumbsup:) or Corner.

Mr. Goosemahn 02-07-2011 05:11 AM

I don't like the offensive tackles in this draft class at all.

Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi, DeMarcus Love, those are the only guys I'd like for us, and they are all borderline LT's, IMO. Won't be anything special.

Marcus Cannon is sometimes listed as a tackle, but I'd kick him inside to guard and watch him blossom. He could become a truly special player there. Could being the magic word, of course.

As for Tyron Smith, he is just way too small, IMO. 6'5 is good, and he's got long, rangy arms, but 280 lbs?!? I'm sorry, that just doesn't cut it for me. He's one of those converted TE's, and I don't really buy into them. Plus, he's never played on the left side (Kalil plays LT for USC, Smith is RT), so that would be interesting to see as well.

Smith has to add 20 lbs. just to be at the minimum weight for a tackle (300 by my standards), meaning it would be a longshot for him to get to the 315-320 range I really like.

Mr. Goosemahn 02-07-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete74 (Post 901323)

Colon definitely has the nastiness and grit to be a great guard, but he doesn't have the short-space quickness and the mobility we like in our guards. Coaches supposedly tried him at guard a while back and he was just awful at pulling, which forced them to end that experiment prematurely.