Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   santonio holmes scouting report and grades (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6817)

tony hipchest 04-30-2006 09:49 AM

santonio holmes scouting report and grades

him and w. reid are the same height and weight with the same speed. they could be clones on the field. its hard not to look at next year and not expect ben to throw for 3500 yds.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/holmes_santonio

Holmes is a junior who came out early for the Draft, and with the lack of elite receivers available in this year's draftm he made the right decision. He is a very good athlete with the quickness and elusiveness to avoid the jam and get into routes quickly -- he closes the cushion fast to get on top of the cornerback. He runs very good routes and consistently can turn the cornerback around and has the burst to get separation consistently. He has outstanding hands, and when he stays focused, he has consistently shown the ability to make great catches on off-target passes. He is a very quick-footed receiver with the instincts, elusiveness and explosiveness to make big plays running after the catch and as a returner. He does not tuck the ball away and tends to carry it loosely which will lead to him having fumlbing problems in the NFL. He needs to make better decisions fielding punts and must catch kickoffs more consistently. Overall, Holmes is going to be a good starting receiver who can make big plays and clutch catches consistently. He will be a legitimate big-play threat who is a real touchdown threat every time he touches the ball because of his running ability in the open field.

CRITICAL FACTORS
Size Athletic Ability Hands Competes Play Speed Instincts
5.0 6.5 7.0 6.0 6.5 6.5

STRONG POINTS
Holmes is a very good athlete with the playing speed, elusiveness and explosiveness to make big plays running with the ball in the open field. He has very good vision and instincts running with the ball, follows blockers well and has an explosive burst through the hole and the speed to take plays the distance. He runs very smooth routes and has a good burst out of cuts to get separatiuon and uses his body well to shield cornerbacks from the ball. He has the hands, body control and coordination to reach out and catch the ball away from his body and can adjust to make the tough catch easily.

steel-EERS 04-30-2006 10:15 AM

Re: santonio holmes scouting report and grades

holmes will help us immediately in the pass game as the third reciever , Reid might take some time to contribute as a receiver but both will contribute in the return games immediately!

BlitzburghRockCity 04-30-2006 10:23 AM

Its going to be interesting to see how much more we throw now with all these weapons.

43FlyingHair 04-30-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Its going to be interesting to see how much more we throw now with all these weapons.
Doubt it'll be a big change, just read an interview with Bill Cowher yesterday that said that when they let Maddox start airing things out a few years ago and we went 6-10, it was the biggest mistake he ever made, getting away from the running game. I don't care who's quarterback and what kind of receivers we have, I think it'll be a cold day in hell before Cowher tries to turn the Steelers into a pass-first team.

Now, can we take advantage of gains in the passing game to stretch the field and open up rushing lanes? Sure thing. But I'll be shocked if we ever see another season dominated by the air attack during Cowher's tenure in Pittsburgh.

Steeler in Carolina 04-30-2006 01:13 PM

I like this pick. He was the best Wr in the draft and we saw a chance to move up and get him.. Good move.

Volpe1564 04-30-2006 01:40 PM

i like the run first thing that we have now....but i really like that idea of if we HAD to throw all the way down the field we could too :smile:

Black@Gold Forever32 04-30-2006 01:58 PM

I love the Holmes pick. Wanted the Steelers to trade up to get him and they did. Three drafts now in a row the Steelers have drafted the player I wanted the most in the first round. In 04 it was Big Ben. Told everyone that would listen he would lead to a Super Bowl win. Just never thought it would be in his 2nd year. Last year I wanted Earl "Heath" Miller. This year I wanted my man Santonio Holmes. Has some of the same skills as Steve Smith.

About the Steelers becoming a passing team. That will never happen. Cowher will always run the ball. But our passing game will be very dangerous next year. I expect a 55/45 run to pass ratio next year.