Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   disappointed with this years draft? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6844)

tony hipchest 04-30-2006 06:10 PM

disappointed with this years draft?

just remember there arent many rookies who are realisticly gonna make this team. steelers drafted the players they felt would most likely be able to just make the team. if that means their might be a 3rd string te spot open, then thats who they drafted. we didnt go into this draft looking for future stars, although we may have landed a long term starter in s. holmes. we addressed our needs. we were not drafting for the future and we werent reaching to fill any gaping holes. we were drafting to maintain a sb calibur team. with the core of our team we dont need any 2006 rookies to lead us into the future.

all starters were in place for next year before this draft. leave it to the steelers to keep last years sb winning squad together for the next few years. im happy with that.

Volpe1564 04-30-2006 06:15 PM

Re: disappointed with this years draft?

i guess you right bro but y not back up the FB and not 3rd TE??? maybe thats what they were thinking...lol...who am i? i dont know anything.lol

tony hipchest 04-30-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volpe1564
i guess you right bro but y not back up the FB and not 3rd TE??? maybe thats what they were thinking...lol...who am i? i dont know anything.lol

c. humes is projected by many to be a fb and dan kreider was an undrafted f.a. if we need a back up for him we will pick him up off the street. (we already got his back up on the practice squad) a drafted fb would probably never make the team. a 3rd te just might. like i said they drafted for players most likely to make the team.

nwksteeler 04-30-2006 06:20 PM

This was definitely a good draft and by season's end a great draft. Some needs were definitely addressed. Although I would have liked more secondary help late(Antoine Bethea) maybe they will address that via rookie free agents. Good draft!

Atlanta Dan 04-30-2006 06:21 PM

I have been jammed up at work and have not followed the draft closely, but other than moving up in the first round to draft a WR I am not overwhelmed by the decisions made this weekend. Specifically, the tactic of trading out of the second round, drafting another small WR, and not drafting or trading for LB or RB depth until round 7 appears odd. Hopefully the Anthony Smith pick at safety works out.

I am not saying Cowher does not care about the long term since he may soon be taking a break, but if ever there was a draft that was specifically designed to fill holes for 2006 but not to address long term needs this appears to be such a draft.

desertsteel 04-30-2006 06:26 PM

I'm happy. Splashy move with SH. Then some guys that have a chance to make the team and contribute on special teams. I look forward to seeing the FA's we pick up...

tony hipchest 04-30-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan
I have been jammed up at work and have not followed the draft closely, but other than moving up in the first round to draft a WR I am not overwhelmed by the decisions made this weekend. Specifically, the tactic of trading out of the second round, drafting another small WR, and not drafting or trading for LB or RB depth until round 7 appears odd. Hopefully the Anthony Smith pick at safety works out.

I am not saying Cowher does not care about the long term since he may soon be taking a break, but if ever there was a draft that was specifically designed to fill holes for 2006 but not to address long term needs this appears to be such a draft.

with further increases in the salary cap i see the steelers working to retain the improving, young, sb talent they already have in place. if we lose a co-ordinator or 2 we wont have it compounded with multiple starters leaving. the steelers didnt try to fix anything that wasnt broke. what really needed to be adressed was. i like the vote of confidence and shot in the arm that was given to ben and willie and the lb corps

BCEDGE 04-30-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan

Actually both trading up and trading down were brilliant and did nothing but cost us a 4th round pick. For the second they picked up two thrids...and still filled the position they were seeking to fill. And to move up and get the guy you want in Holmes, was fantastic. The whole idea that these cannot be long term answers is simply baffling. They had an unsexy but very productive draft.

Koopa 05-01-2006 01:36 AM

i liked this draft, i'm really happy about holmes, i like the pick of willie reed because we got our punt returner, sure holmes could do that, but i rather him just focus on being our number 2 wr. not sure about the saftey but he seems like a good pick up for depth. omar jacob i was huh??? but i don't know if he's gonna stay a qb or not, but he could be a really good back up for us (he's already 49032751923572945749 times better then maddox). the dude from the U might be a good pick up, adds depth up front. i don't know about the tight end. but i love the pick of humes with the 7th pick. so all in all i'm very happy with what we did these last two days now on to back to back superbowl victories

BigSteelThrill 05-01-2006 01:50 AM

This draft was money.

:tt03: