Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Syracuse fans on A. Smith (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6850)

BB2W 04-30-2006 10:53 PM

Syracuse fans on A. Smith

I didn't know much about safety Anthony Smith other than he was tied with PSU's Alan Zemaitis for the 2nd most interceptions in the nation last season. I went to a Syracuse message board to see what they thought of him and here is what they had to say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuseisloose2003
Very high on A. Smith

The kid is a football player, period. The knock on Anthony is he doesn't have top end speed -- however, he has great anticipation and ball skills. You don't pick off 6 passes your senior and block 6 kicks in your career without knowing how to play.

He is probably a 4.6 type guy, but he has a 41" vertical and great feet. He is versitle, and can play in the box and in space.

Now, you won't see him covering Randy Moss one on one, but he won't hesitiate to knock his block off either. He was the best player on a very bad team -- however, if he were on a 10-2 Syracuse team, I think you'd see him in the top 2 rounds easily.

Good pick, especially later in the third round. I think he'll be a very solid player at the next level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTuttle
He has football speed! He will play as fast as he needs to.

He is, in effect, faster than many players because he is always in the right position. He doesn't need the make-up speed that others do when they are out of position. I don't know your secondary needs, but if you needed a safety, you just drafted your starter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadNY3
Plus a guy that will willingly contribute on special teams.

A Smith won't be a pro bowler, but will be a respected guy, that plays his ass off and won't get fooled much. Love the guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeNirvana
"A Smith won't be a pro bowler"?

I think it's a tad early to make that statement. He has endless potential, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poonugget
As a Pitt fan and watching him play I loved this pick. He is exactly what we need. We need a FS to play next to Troy Polamalu. Ryan Clark (stop gap) and Smith will fight for the starting position. Smith is also a special teams stud. I can't wait to see this guy next to troy. It will be a great duo. Also we need a S with good ball skills. Chris Hope was very overrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangeyes
Smith had a number of potential int's slip through his fingers, otherwise his numbers would have been even more ridiculous.

I like what they have to say... :smile:

tony hipchest 04-30-2006 11:07 PM

Re: Syracuse fans on A. Smith

im more concerned with what darren perry had to say. he said that smith slipped at the combine to begin his 40 test and his 4.7 results were not anything the steelers were concerned with. hes not slow, just cause of one bad 40 time. steelers have been drafting speedy guys for years now. if a safety trully graded out with a 4.7 theres no way they wouldve made him their 2nd pick in the draft. they had him as the 4th ranked fs going in.

BB2W 04-30-2006 11:17 PM

At Syracuse's Pro-Day he ran his 40's in 4.57 and 4.67 and 4.65.

BlitzburghRockCity 05-01-2006 12:08 AM

If he's got football smarts, and knows how to close and keep his eye on his opponent then he can make up for some of that speed with good technique.

Santonio4 05-01-2006 06:52 AM

Smith is an outstanding addition to our defensive backfield. He is a big player who makes big plays. :cool: