Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Negotiations start w/ Ward !!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=696)

BlitzburghRockCity 05-04-2005 11:23 PM

Negotiations start w/ Ward !!!

One year after Hines Ward first made it an issue, the Steelers and agent Eugene Parker have opened negotiations for a contract extension that could become the most expensive in the team's history.

And, one year later, it's no longer an issue, at least not a public one, for the Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl receiver.

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
Receiver Hines Ward is looking for a big contract extension.
Click photo for larger image.

"There's nothing I can do," Ward said yesterday as he and the rest of the Steelers prepare for the start of a mandatory three-day minicamp tomorrow. "They're talking to my agent and stuff like that. It's out of my control. I still have to go out here and perform. I'm busting my tail and worrying about getting better. I'll let my agent and the Steelers talk about my contract."

here's the rest of the story

ironcitychef 05-04-2005 11:52 PM

Re: Negotiations start w/ Ward !!!

'when he fretted over a contract that still had two years to go. Holding out of training camp was an option he considered, although a phone call from coach Bill Cowher on the eve of camp helped persuade him to show up on time.'Funny but didn't Ed B. sweep this little detail under the mat last year with all the Plax hype? I smell him making this bigger than it was las year trying to sell some papers, cause my guess is Ward had his bags packed, car keys in hand ready to go to camp. Just like this year.

acrossthepond 05-05-2005 07:24 AM

I know Ward is a premier player . . . and I can't stand the thought of him leaving town . . . one aspect that concerned me though in the Post-Gazette article is this:

"the model for a new contract has to be the one the Indianapolis Colts gave Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison last year.

At age 32, Harrison received a reported seven-year, $67 million extension that included $23 million in guaranteed money the first two years. He earned a $6 million signing bonus last year plus a $7 million roster bonus this past March, which subsequently was turned into a signing bonus for salary cap accounting. In essence, he received a $13 million signing bonus.

At 29, Ward is younger than Harrison and, considering the Steelers throw the ball much less than the Colts, relatively more productive. "

Can we afford to throw anything like that sort of money at a WR? If we are trying to follow the Colts way of doing business we'll end up with just half a team like them . . . all the money at the big name guys . . . and not good enough in total to win it all . . .

RoethlisBURGHer 05-05-2005 12:51 PM

I don't think we're going to give Ward Harrison kind of money,nor do I think that he wants Harrison kind of money.

Remember,Ward wants to retire a Steeler.he has said he can't imagine playing for any other team.Hines is not all about the money,he knows there is more to life than money and he already has more than he'll ever need.

I think he brought it up last year was because he wants to remail a Steeler.If he becomes a FA and someone really goes after him and the Steelers don't show a ton of interest,then he'll leave us and he doesn't want to.He deserves a pay raise,that's for sure,but I doubt he wants or will get Harrison type cashola.

BB2W 05-05-2005 12:53 PM

Sorry Blitzburgh.....I brought up the old Ward/contract thread. I didn't see you started a new one. now we got two at the top......Oh well

"I want to retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I couldn't imagine playing for another team. It's just great hearing other guys: 'Oh, man, you're the best, I really respect the way you play the game. That keeps me motivated to go out and work twice as hard.'

When I read that.......It gave me goosebumps.

clevestinks 05-05-2005 01:56 PM

Ward a Steeler for life. I hope, can`t imagine him in anything but Black & Gold, and a Red and White probowl jersey

BlitzburghRockCity 05-05-2005 03:50 PM

The STeelers arent afraid to shell out the big bucks when they have too. IE, porter, hampton, gildon, aaron and marvel smith, etc... but yeah, wards contract should be a doozy, and most likely the biggest ever in STeelers history.. if there's 1 player that deserves it, its him!

No worries BB2W, its ok, both threads are cool! :cool:

HinesWard4Life8682 05-05-2005 06:10 PM

do u guys think hell stay steeler

geran42o 05-05-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HinesWard4Life8682
do u guys think hell stay steeler

why wouldn't he?
after the emotional breakdown after last season about Bettis coming back or not... with Bettis coming back he better be here.

clevestinks 05-05-2005 08:12 PM

Hines can`t help but stay a Steeler, he bleeds Black & Gold now and forever