Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New Mock Draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70344)

Mr. Goosemahn 02-07-2011 04:35 AM

New Mock Draft

First of all, I'd just like to say that I would trade picks directly for players, but seeing as how that will very likely not happen in real life, here's a quick mock:

1. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. CB/FS Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
3. CB Jalil Brown, Colorado
4. NT/DE Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
5. FB Owen Marecic, Stanford
6. RB Noel Devine, West Virginia
7. WR DeAndre Brown, Souther Miss

Reasoning:

1. We need a RG desperately, it's the weakest position on our line, and Pouncey is the perfect candidate. One very under-appreciated attribute of good offensive line play is chemistry, and that's something that these two guys would definitely have. Not quite the technician as Maurkice, and he doesn't have as good footwork, but he's still a good guard nonetheless. Great athlete with the ability to pull and do damage at the second level.

2. We need defensive back help and Dowling could potentially fit at either position, but FS would be my choice. He's a big kid (6'2 and 200 lbs.) who probably has less than ideal speed for a CB, but more than good for a safety. He's a hard tackler with very, very good ball skills, which is something I'm craving in our DB's. Look him up on YouTube, I'm pretty sure you'll like what you see.

3. Another CB, but this one stays here. A very physical player, he and Jimmy Smith locked things down while at Colorado. I'm a big, big fan of Jimmy Smith and I believe he'll go late first to early second, meaning he's out of our reach, barring a trade up. Brown is still a good CB though, physical, and could be a great #2 for us. I don't think he has what it takes to be a true #1, but if we keep Taylor, then these two guys will play well for a while. I'm still secretly hoping we sign Asomugha, because that would do wonders for our defense.

4. Big small school kid who completely dominated. 6'5, 340 lbs., and has the athleticism to kick out to DE for us. He'd have to shed weight though. He is, by no means, a Haloti Ngata type of athlete, but he's a better athlete than most fatties his size. Could be molded to be a future back-up, fringe starter for us in the early years, and a solid contributor after 3-4 years.

5. This. Kid. Can. Block. The second coming of Dan Kreider. I know Bruce Arians doesn't like FB's, but he could be on his way out of here, and even if he sticks, this guy would do wonders for Mendenhall. He started at both FB and LB for Stanford, and he knows how to hit. There aren't really many highlights of him, but there are of the former RB who he used to block for, a guy whom you might have heard of. Toby Gerhart. He tore up the NCAA and a large part of his success was Marecic. Just search for Gerhart highlights on YouTube and focus on the fullback blocking for him, #48. I can guarantee that you will be impressed.

6. Some may be surprised to see him so low, but Devine rid himself from consideration as an earlier pick due to his size. He came in at a minuscule 5'7 and 160 lbs. Other tiny guys like Darren Sproles and Dexter McCluster have a full 20 lbs. on him. Devine still has ability and skill-set to be at least a dynamic returner, maybe, just maybe, a good change of pace back. His ceiling is probably what Sproles is, he won't be anything better.

7. Finally, a big receiving target. Brown was great for South Miss, he just isn't that good a receiver. He definitely has great size, but he suffered a pretty bad leg injury some time ago and he's not polished at all. Would probably just be a camp body, and depending on how well Limas Sweed plays (yes, I still believe he'll be a solid contributor for us), he'd likely be to the practice squad.

So that's it. Thoughts?

BKAnthem 02-07-2011 04:44 PM

Re: New Mock Draft

I like you picks except 6-7 i don't thing we need another RB or WR.....I would take a flyer on another safety & O lineman

bubbletownwr88 02-12-2011 08:05 PM

I LOVE THIS MOCK! Except noel devine because we simply don't need him but DeAndre Brown would be a great add. I don't know much about Jalil Brown but can't be any worse than Gay so if this was our draft that would do wonders to our team.

SH-Rock 02-12-2011 11:24 PM

1. I don't expect Pouncey to be there in the first round I would take Jimmy Smith
2. I don't really like Ras-I-Dowling. Someone on the O-Line here
3. I think Chimidi Chekwa is a better CB but I see them getting a FS here
4. Excellent Pick
5. Depends who's OC, but if it's Arians then there is no need for a FB
6. I think we have a solid running group
7. Good pick, but I think he'll go in the 6th

steelerohio 02-12-2011 11:35 PM

Anyone think the Steelers will trade up to be able to get Pouncey? What will we lose in the process?

SH-Rock 02-13-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerohio (Post 921000)
Anyone think the Steelers will trade up to be able to get Pouncey? What will we lose in the process?

Depends how far we trade up. We could trade with the Seahawks and give up McFadden.

Mr. Goosemahn 02-14-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerohio (Post 921000)

I don't think we'd have to, at least not a lot. Mike is not as good as Maurkice is from a technical point of view, doesn't have as good feet or technique, and is a bit softer. Still, he's a fantastic guard, and there's absolutely no reason for us not to get him.

Quote:

1. I don't expect Pouncey to be there in the first round I would take Jimmy Smith
2. I don't really like Ras-I-Dowling. Someone on the O-Line here
3. I think Chimidi Chekwa is a better CB but I see them getting a FS here
4. Excellent Pick
5. Depends who's OC, but if it's Arians then there is no need for a FB
6. I think we have a solid running group
7. Good pick, but I think he'll go in the 6th
1. I think it's the other way around, Jimmy Smith will probably be gone, he's climbing boards really quickly, many have him #3 already. Mike Pouncey, however, is not. Many people have him behind TCU's Marcus Cannon, some have him behind Baylor's Danny Watkins too.
2. Dowling would be a fantastic safety for us, great ball skills, great tackling, and great size. But I accept your opinion and respect it.
3. Understood.
4. I agree :)
5. I think that, even if we keep Arians, a FB would still be a good addition. He did use a FB far more this season that he used to. In fact, during the regular season, we used a FB in almost one third of our plays. I think this warrants a good FB, and Marecic is just that.
6. Devine would be a change of pace back, something we don't have but could definitely use. Think about Woodhead for the Patriots and what he does for them. Not necessarily a between-the-tackles runner, but still a valuable asset.
7. Could go earlier. I just think teams will be kind of scared due to his injury.