Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70683)

SteelerEmpire 02-11-2011 01:38 PM

Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver

Wow. Interesting. This guy's almost 7 ft tall !

Article:

Wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Woodland Hills High School and West Virginia graduate, said he has signed with the Steelers.

LINK: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1DfU3nht0

Videos:

[YOUTUBE]r07tmiDOMO0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0hAPNTyNiAg[/YOUTUBE]

Set-Man 02-11-2011 01:40 PM

Re: Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver

Great......
How can we get the ball to him if BB is on his back?

maybe they can use him as an OL if he gains 200 lbs....

StainlessStill 02-11-2011 01:41 PM

Can anybody say, REDZONE? Who the hell is going to out-jump this guy? I guess everyone who wants a tall receiver GOT their tall receiver. 6'8? That's ginormous. Hopefully he has a good look in camp and improves his route running with his big body! Maybe he would convert to T.E?

1978_steeler 02-11-2011 01:55 PM

13.5 yards per catch in his Senoir year leads me to think that he was a toss it up and let him go up and get it in a 3rd and long situation. Redzone would be great but I doubt he has been used that way. The guy has 0 TD's @ WV.

But they must see something they like other than him being 6' 8"....good luck to him.

El Nino 02-11-2011 01:59 PM

if they want to try a late round sleeper pick, how about greg salas from hawaii. he should drop to the 5th-6th round and he's got decent speed and is around 6'3, really good hands

kirklandrules 02-11-2011 02:11 PM

Matt Spaeth is 6'7" and the Steelers/Ben have never attempted to utilize his height. When Plexiglass was on the Steelers, I don't really remember a play that required him to use his height advantage. I wish this Lyons kid luck, but I'm thinking this is just a shot in the dark pick-up that will most likely result in a spring time release.

Farrior_roirraW 02-11-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1978_steeler (Post 920559)
13.5 yards per catch in his Senoir year leads me to think that he was a toss it up and let him go up and get it in a 3rd and long situation. Redzone would be great but I doubt he has been used that way. The guy has 0 TD's @ WV.

But they must see something they like other than him being 6' 8"....good luck to him.

Yeah... what's up with his stats at WVU?

I don't know how I feel about this...

stb_steeler 02-11-2011 02:23 PM

Isnt that what Ben wants...A bean stalk to put er up in the endzone.

steelerchad 02-11-2011 02:23 PM

Camp Fodder. WVU didn't get him the ball much. 20 catches in his senior year. Nobody thought much of him around the league last year as he didn't play at all, not even on someone's practice squad. Practice squad is exactly where he should have been last year if he had any talent. With that size, you would have thought someone would try to develop him into a weapon. I guess we're going to give that a shot now.
Good Luck to him.

SteelerEmpire 02-11-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirklandrules (Post 920562)
Matt Spaeth is 6'7" and the Steelers/Ben have never attempted to utilize his height. When Plexiglass was on the Steelers, I don't really remember a play that required him to use his height advantage. I wish this Lyons kid luck, but I'm thinking this is just a shot in the dark pick-up that will most likely result in a spring time release.

We all know that Ben has been wanting a tall receiver for a while, so now we will get to see what his plans for one is. But the thing with Spaeth, his hands are 50/50 he'll catch a ball right in his hands, he's not that fast and "it appears" Lyons may be able to go 1ft to 1 1/2 ft higher vertically than Spaeth IF that is the way the team intends to use him... Lyon's also has a 2 yr term with the team... so, we'll see.