Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bye Bye Freddie (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=708)

hardwork 05-07-2005 06:03 PM

Bye Bye Freddie

I said, hit the road Freddie, and don't you come back no more no more. Hit the road Freddie and don't you come back no more.

>>Eagles send Mitchell on go route

Mouthy receiver never caught on

By Associated Press *|* May 7, 2005

Freddie Mitchell has talked his way out of Philadelphia.

In a move that was no surprise, the Eagles released Mitchell yesterday, cutting ties with the wide receiver after four seasons where he never lived up to his promise as a first-round pick.

''We appreciate everything Freddie has contributed to the Eagles organization over the last four years," coach Andy Reid said.

Mitchell, picked in the first round out of UCLA in 2001, made more news off the field than on it, labeling himself with a seemingly endless list of self-promoting nicknames like ''The People's Champ," ''FredEx," and ''First-Down Freddie."

Before the Super Bowl, Mitchell offended some Patriots when he disparaged their secondary in a television interview.

Mitchell said he just knew the numbers -- not the names -- of New England's cornerbacks. He singled out Rodney Harrison, saying he ''has something" for the veteran strong safety. Mitchell also called out New England coach Bill Belichick.

Unhappy over his role as the slot receiver and overshadowed by Terrell Owens, Mitchell criticized his teammates for not backing him up when he trash talked the Patriots and blasted Donovan McNabb for lacking confidence in him as a go-to receiver.

Mitchell was told not to come to Philadelphia's first mandatory minicamp last week.

''I told him I did not want him here," Reid said.
Mitchell played in 63 career games and had 90 catches for 1,263 yards and five touchdowns.
Horn gets extension<<

http://www.boston.com

BlitzburghRockCity 05-07-2005 09:41 PM

Re: Bye Bye Freddie

First down freddie, the people's champion, whatever.. either way he's a flop who thinks he's God's gift to the NFL.. and obviously, we know better.

RoethlisBURGHer 05-08-2005 11:01 AM

We'll never see him again.He's talked his way off of most GM's FA list,and anyone who does get him will be a crappy team.I think he talked his way out of the NFL.

He NEVER produced,and he tried telling the leaders of the Eagles how to use him.I don't think any player,not even T.O.,has the right to tell the coach or QB how to use you.And if you can't produce,you definatly can't even hint at it.

When he was talking down about T.O.,did he ever evens top to think that if he would have produced (I don't think he tried much,IMHO) they wouldn't have needed to bring T.O. onto the team.

BlitzburghRockCity 05-08-2005 01:02 PM

You know the NFL.. there's somebody out there who will pay him what he wants becuz they think he got a bum rap in Philly and never got a chance to shine. :blah:

Prosdo 05-08-2005 01:19 PM

True Blitz. I remember watching one of his interviews he did. I just found him to be obnoxius and too much about himself. All he kept talking about is how he is the people's champ and something about thanking his hands. I don't know I found it ridiculous. My opinion I rather have more of a team guy. But as you said someone will say the Eagles gave him a hard time and sign him.

clevestinks 05-08-2005 06:08 PM

He is like TO without any talent to back up his mouth.

Prosdo 05-08-2005 06:52 PM

Exactly Cleve. I'm sorry when you don't have the game to back it up you look like even more of an ass. TO runs his mouth and he looks like a moron, but he does have game. Freddie running his mouth makes me wonder if he realizes how asinine he is being.

ironcitychef 05-08-2005 11:09 PM

Is it a bad sign when a team will keep a high priced holdout who bad mouths his starting QB over you, a simple ego centered Wideout who only has one good game a year. It is to me. They would rather take the risk that TO plays no game than for you to only have one good one. Tough break Freddie. I'd like to thank my fingers for posting this great point by the way.

clevestinks 05-09-2005 02:47 PM

Freddies claim to fame was a tip pass that fell in his lap. Way to go Freddie, your the man!

AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7 05-11-2005 12:22 PM

I think this was a good move by Philly. Freddy Mitchell was a good player...when he was actually playing. Basically the only time he got to play was when T.O. was injured. I never knew somebody that went from never been heard of to the most arrogant player on the Philadelphia Eagles. His mouth got him in trouble. I heard he now wants to go to the Denver Broncos, we'll see. He kind of reminds me of Plaxico Burress. I mean Plax thought that every team would want him, it ends up that he was lucky to go to the Giants. Plax thought he was the best wide reciever in the league. And don't get me wrong, he was a great player, he just had the wrong attitude because "he didn't get the ball thrown to him enough." Same with Freddy, he is a good wide receiver, but he was incredibly too cocky. I think Reid made the right decision here. Thats my opinion.....:)

~Go Steelers!~
~AllAmer~