Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Chargers sign Frank "the tank" Summers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70872)

tony hipchest 02-16-2011 09:34 AM

Chargers sign Frank "the tank" Summers

http://nflbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/n...llback/4169591

Quote:

The San Diego Chargers have signed FB Frank Summers, a source confirmed.

Summers (5-10, 240), who was selected in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, finished last season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad. His practice squad contract expired the day after the Super Bowl. The Steelers had an exclusive seven-day negotiating window to re-sign him, which ended on Monday. After that, Summers could negotiate a contract with other teams.

The Chargers now have three fullbacks on their 80-man roster.
some have said spending a 4th round ppick on a punter was a waste of a pick, but really no more than this one (or thad gibson) was.

relatively speaking, we got alot of mileage out of our punter for cheap.

good luck to frank. SD seems to be a place where he will get a chance to succeed as opposed to rotting away on the steelers roster.

ebsteelers 02-16-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Chargers sign Frank "the tank" Summers

i think we defintely need to improve from round 4 on. we got some good picks but then we have some guys that never had a chance...i mean i guess david johnson is panning out well for a 7th rounder :~ good luck to frank.

Dino 6 Rings 02-16-2011 10:29 AM

Sweet! This opens up a spot for a FB Pick, like Hynoski!

tony hipchest 02-16-2011 11:02 AM

leron mcclain and john kuhn are free agents.

MDSteel15 02-16-2011 11:19 AM

This just confirms my hate for Arians that much more!!! :mad: :banging: :banging: :banging: :doh:

drucifer 02-16-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 921826)
leron mcclain and john kuhn are free agents.

Didn't the Rams release Karney also?

Merchant 02-16-2011 11:34 AM

NOOO. Not Frank!!! :uhh:

wootawnee 02-16-2011 01:10 PM

Frank gets to go back to his home state......You know he is stoked..........San Diego living is just sensational..........I miss all the surf breaks down there.......Good luck Tank.........You gotta work hard to make it in the league......

thumper 02-16-2011 02:07 PM

Who cares. Frank never showed he can do anything to help an NFL team,
regardless of the reason why: work ethic, too much a tweener, just not
very good at anything - ok as blocker, ok as running, not really good
at either. This is as much news as if we lost John Jacob Jingle Heimer Smith.

kirklandrules 02-16-2011 02:16 PM

Let me just try to understand the Arians logic:

He doesn't believe in having a true FB because it is a wasted spot on the roster. He stated that he would rather have a TE line up as an H-back because it allows him to have more talented players on the field. So he uses David Johnson, who lines up mostly in the backfield and acts as a poor man's FB. Over the course of 2 years, Johnson has caught 6 passes.

I have no beef with Johnson and do think he's improved as a blocker. But what the hell? He obviously isn't acting like a TE, doesn't have the receptions and seems to start in the backfield. Why not just get a true FB and get those lead blocks we expect?