Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   8 ways to fix NFL (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=717)

ironcitychef 05-08-2005 12:25 PM

8 ways to fix NFL

Saw this on si.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...log/index.html

1. Leave OT the way it is. My feeling instead of rewarding a team an equal chance of winning in the extra time, continue to reward teams who get it done in regulation. Don't want the football gods to flip the coin in the other teams favor, then score or shut them down in the 4th. You get 60 minutes to make your case why you should win every game. Don't waste it.

2. Cut blocks need to be more penelized and defined. Just for safety sake. 25 years ago linemen wern't that big. They were I guess more flexible. Now they just can't get out of their own way. Protect the kicker? Protect the QB? Protect everyone.

3. Ground can't cause a fumble cause technically the play is done, I thought. Might as well say as long as a player puts the ball back through the hoop, the basket doesn't count.

4. I hate college football where a cb knows he is beat and your team could get a sure td, only to see the cb tackle the wr 10 yards off the line. 15 yards, line up do it again. No way. I'd rather take my chances with our d and let my wr's score.

5. one foot in. Lynn Swann was out of bounds and still got two in in the big game. Keep it the way it is.

6. I would settle on force outs. Go up and get the bad pass, then got to come down in the field. That keeps those jump balls and such under control. Also takes away the refs judgement call. I like this one.

7. no fair catches? Again, protect everyone(note even in the article its says with reason so they aren't too sure about this one)

8. color on 1st down line is great, cause when you have to watch games with no sound from across a crowded bar or such, it makes it so much easier to see what is going on.

BlitzburghRockCity 05-08-2005 12:59 PM

Re: 8 ways to fix NFL

The ground not causing a fumble is a highly debated topic.. did the ball come out as he hit? did he trap it? did it bounce off the ground while in his possession? was his knee down? or maybe it was butt that hit first !! UGH!

RoethlisBURGHer 05-08-2005 01:09 PM

1-I agree with him on OT.When the Steelers win the flip,and win the game,we all cheer.But when the Steelers lose the flip,and lose the game,we all bitch about how we "never got a chance".

However,it should be the lengh of 1 quarter.The teams exchange tries until one team outscores the other.It's played like a normall football game,kickoffs and everything.Only differance is that if they score a field goal,you have to score a TD to win.If you kick the field goal and make it,they get another shot.If you kick it and miss,you lose the game...even if the quarter isn't over.

2-I also agree with the cut-blocking rule.It has ended careers with 1 cut-block,and it has shortened careers.Everyone does it from time-to-time,but Denver seems to do it every run.

3-I think this rule should remain the same.When the player hits the ground,he's down.After a player is down,he cannot fumble until the next play.What's so hard to understand about that?

4-I think pass-interferance should be a 15-yarder (which is an auto first down) but not from the spot of the foul,from the spot of the down.

5-Don't change this rule.Two feet...T.O.,Randy Moss,and countless others can do it.It's not that hard.One foot is giving the offense too much leeway.

6-Force outs should be legal!Excuse me,but did the reciever get two feet down in bounds?Nope!So why give him the catch?It negates the two feet in bounds rule.

7-I like the fair catch.Why should a kick returner get smashed like that?Aren't they defensless when catching the football?Why should the recieving team get penalized because the player doesn't want to get his head knocked off?

8-The color-coded lines HELP THE TV VIEWER.I like them,it lets me know where the "line" is for the LOS and the first down.I especially like it when the TV is muted because of a phone call,or because I am at a resturant.

hardwork 05-08-2005 05:51 PM

How to fix the NFL?

A) Problem: There isn't enough talent to go around.

Solution: Cut the number of teams in half.

B) Problem: Not enough room under the salary cap.

Solution: No cap.

C) Problem: If they did A and B the Lombardi Trophy would permanently reside in Foxborough Massachusetts.

Solution: Tough luck.

clevestinks 05-08-2005 06:06 PM

Harwork your wrong, if they cut the teams in half they would dump the Pats.LOL

You are right about one thing, the talent pool is thin. And the browns ruined that. There are already to many teams with 30. Then Modell left cleve for Balt. And instead of making the browns wait the NFL buckled and gave them a team asap. then to make it even had to add the Texans. Look at the qb s in the league , weak very weak. Salary cap is the one thing that really saves the NFL. The second thing that saves them is the game its self awesome.

hardwork 05-08-2005 06:11 PM

Way too thin. Teams like San Francisco are fielding almost nothing but 3rd tier players.

And yes, the cap is a good thing.

ironcitychef 05-08-2005 11:06 PM

I can't say its too thin. I love watching the 5th starters in baseball get lit up for 3 innings and then get yanked. Now, there, are way too many teams. For the NFL, the talent comes and goes. Seems like those shut down corners are no longer around, but wide receivers are everywhere. So I say more like a cycle. Take the Qb position, if Rodgers, Smith, and company pan out then join Ben, Losman, E. Manning, etc, and then reach Brady, P. Manning, and the ultimate(yes HW!)Brady level then QB is too stacked. As for the salary cap, you don't think Jones is dying to be the George S. of the NFL? Mass, no. Texas, possible.

BlitzburghRockCity 05-08-2005 11:45 PM

Cutting the salary cap would be the worst thing ever to happen to the league.. Look at the NHL, look at the NBA in previous years.. look at baseball, the salaries are off the charts, and the small city teams continue to remain obsolete for the most part.

hardwork 05-08-2005 11:47 PM

Hey Chef

Give me 3 over easy, a NY strip med., a side of english muffins, a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, a cup of your best Italian dark roast, and put it on my tab.

ironcitychef 05-09-2005 12:12 PM

Plenty of credit for ya HW!

3 O.E., fast talker up the middle, nook and cranny, white bronco, and a cup of cacarella coming right up. Don't forget to 86 the Pats.:chef: