Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   darlington 500- who to watch/ who will win (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7172)

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 12:47 PM

darlington 500- who to watch/ who will win

moreso than ever, it seems strong runs in the busch series are translating into strong runs in cup, so i will be watching for mccmurray and hamlin as my darkhorses to have great shots for the win. kenseth, and newman should be able to have great runs too. but if there are long green flag runs expect the leader to be very hard to pass, especially if he has a top pit stall. kahne seems to win everytime he gets the pole, both him and teammate mayfield should be strong.

1. kahne
2. biffle
3. newman
4. hamlin
5. kenseth

gordon, johnson, burton, and stewart historically run well here but with gordons recent struggles and johnson starting deep in the field im not expecting a win from either. it will interresting to see how jr. runs on the heels of a win. does he have things turned around? also watch for harvick and c. edwards to march their way towards the front.

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 06:33 PM

Re: darlington 500- who to watch/ who will win

in other nascar news it looks like its official. dale jarrett will be headlining toyotas debut in the cup series. (with michael waltrips team) i guess theyve offered him too much jack to contemplate retirement.

Suitanim 05-13-2006 06:37 PM

Rumor is that it's a 10 million annual contract...but the drivers are all saying that's ridiculously high, which makes me believe it's true.

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
Rumor is that it's a 10 million annual contract...but the drivers are all saying that's ridiculously high, which makes me believe it's true.

im willing to bet that its all the drivers who have won more than jarrett here recently who are saying its high. for what toyota will be getting (even without the multiple wins) 10 mil seems reasonable. driver contracts seem to be the hardest in all sports to find info on. we see what happened with jeff burton when he found out what kenseth was making. rumor was that penske made kurt bush the highest paid driver. jr and gordon are probably right up there with 15-20 mil apiece (that dont count winnings or endorsements). jarrett sells product and is a former champ so regardless of the fact that he isnt piling up wins, 10 mil makes sense for a start up company who is in a sink or swim situation.

Suitanim 05-13-2006 06:51 PM

Actually, the whole sport is in a panic because Toyota has a reputation of simply outspending all their competition in whatever type of racing they enter. NOBODY wants to see NASCAR become F-1 where Ferrari outspends everyone 5-1 and wins every race (They have an approximate racing budget of 400 MILLION a year).

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
(They have an approximate racing budget of 400 MILLION a year).

thats a sick figure right there. even if its deemed discrimination or whatever, i bet nascar has something in the works to protect the big 3 manufacturers. but then again we saw what happened to pontiac. as of now it really seems unless your in a chevy or a ford you dont have much of a shot anyways. maybe toyota breaks the stranglehold rousch and hendrick have had for years.

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 07:12 PM

lap 3 and c. edwards already has his darlington stripe.

Suitanim 05-13-2006 07:14 PM

I doubt it...if NASCAR let's Toyota up the ante, those players have enough juice to stay in and still win the game.

I have Stewart, Kahne, Harvick and Yeley. I should have picked Gordon, Jr., Nemecheck and Riggs.

tony hipchest 05-13-2006 07:26 PM

you have quite a few stewart starts left for late in the game huh? smart move. i got biffle, kahne, hamlin, and schrader. i hate to use up all my kahne starts so early but ive wasted too many on harvick and jr.

Suitanim 05-13-2006 07:28 PM

I save my Gordon starts for short tracks, restrictor plate tracks and road courses.