Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it' (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=71969)

mesaSteeler 04-03-2011 10:41 AM

Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'

Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'
Posted on: April 2, 2011 1:38 pm
Posted by Will Brinson

Joe Flacco's in a pretty good situation, as the Ravens always have a strong defense, they've got a good running game, and they seem willing to go out and get him weapons in the receiving game. But, man, things are tense around Baltimore this offseason, and Flacco's recent comments about wanting an extension now -- rather than after 2011 -- shouldn't help much.

"I think I've established myself," Flacco told Jamison Henley of the Baltimore Sun during a Japanese relief charity event hosted by Haruki Nakamura on Saturday. "If you're not confident with who I am, I'm not sure what a year is going to make."

Flacco had similarly strong words for the Ravens when they decided to let his quarterback coach Jim Zorn go after the 2010 season, and now there's more reason to suspect that there's a bit of discord among the people in charge of running the Ravens' offense. :chuckle::chuckle:

"Ideally for me, I would like to do something as soon as possible because I feel like I deserve it," Flacco said. "If you donít feel like I'm going to be your quarterback for the next 10 years, what's one year going to make. I don't know what the deal is. We'll have to let this play out and see."

All of that speculation is completely pointless if Flacco can progress in 2011, his fourth year with the club.

"I would feel that after three years, you can make a decision on whether you want me to be your future quarterback or whether you don't. It's your decision," Flacco said. "I wish and hope they would do what they want me to do, which is stay here. Obviously, I want to stay here no matter what. I would want them to do something as early as possible."

Of course, the Ravens decide to "pull an Andy Reid" and draft a quarterback early in the upcoming NFL Draft. If they do that, there's plenty of questions about Flacco's future with the franchise that will be asked.

And though there's no real indication that the Ravens are interested in making such a move, their unwillingness to commit to Flacco until after the 2011 season gives everyone -- including Flacco -- reason to pause.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

Buddha Bus 04-03-2011 10:51 AM

Re: Flacco wants extension now: 'I deserve it'

"Hi, my name is Joe Flacco and I would like to sing all of you wonderful Ravens' fans a nice song. Let me just tune up my voice a little."

"Ahem! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :dramaqueen: :sinking:

I love it! :rofl:

Wallace108 04-03-2011 01:13 PM

:popcorn:

I hope a certain Ravens fan shows up so we can discuss this civilly. :chuckle:

Buddha Bus 04-03-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace108 (Post 926183)
:popcorn:

I hope a certain Ravens fan shows up so we can discuss this civilly. :chuckle:

I hope 2 of them show up. :wink02:

steelerchad 04-03-2011 04:58 PM

The Ravens would be really stupid not to extend Flacco. He's the best QB they've had in their history. McNair in his prime was better, but by the time he got to Baltimore his best days were behind him. Flacco can be a top 10 QB in this league and I'd put him around 12-15 right now. In 3 years he's been pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but he can improve. He's choked a little in the big games. They'd be smart to lock him up for 5 or 6 years at 8 mil per if they can get it done.

Fire Arians 04-03-2011 09:36 PM

he didn't win shit yet, he's gonna be the next tony romo. plays good in the regular season but chokes in the postseason

steelax04 04-04-2011 10:50 AM

Why does he want an extension all of a sudden with the lockout? Doesn't he realize that no one is getting an extension right now?

MasterOfPuppets 04-04-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 926193)
The Ravens would be really stupid not to extend Flacco. He's the best QB they've had in their history. McNair in his prime was better, but by the time he got to Baltimore his best days were behind him. Flacco can be a top 10 QB in this league and I'd put him around 12-15 right now. In 3 years he's been pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but he can improve. He's choked a little in the big games. They'd be smart to lock him up for 5 or 6 years at 8 mil per if they can get it done.

2 words....Carson....Palmer
like you pointed out , flacco has been ok , but not great. so how should he be paid ? like an ok QB that he has been , or like an elite QB which i'm sure he thinks he is ?
the bungholes gave carson the "elite QB " contract , has he lived up to it ?
if i'm the ratbird brass , i'd be wanting that one more year to evaluate.

Atlanta Dan 04-04-2011 01:03 PM

Flacco not getting much support in Baltimore regarding his contract demands- pretty clear his record against the Steelers is not regarded as a big plus:chuckle:

Whenever the lockout is lifted, the Ravens will have to scramble to re-sign their free agents and fill holes with new players in free agency. Once that is done, defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, whom the team gave the franchise tag designation to a couple of months ago, is first in line when it comes to negotiating an extension....

Even if we weren't stuck in a lockout, I'd still think the Ravens would be doing the right thing if they put off extension talks until next season. The team is still trying to figure out what they have in Flacco. He has proven that he is a good starter and a top-10 quarterback. But there are questions about his ability to deliver in the playoffs, something he has yet to do (but he is just three years into his career, so he still has plenty of time).

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,5546563.story

Farrior_roirraW 04-04-2011 01:37 PM

Good stuff. :popcorn: