Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Terry Bradshaw: Memory loss affecting him in Fox TV role (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=72249)

mesaSteeler 04-17-2011 07:45 AM

Terry Bradshaw: Memory loss affecting him in Fox TV role

Terry Bradshaw: Memory loss affecting him in Fox TV role
02:05 PM

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY
CommentRecommend

Terry Bradshaw said the negative effects he's experiencing from concussions have started to effect his on-air performance as a Fox TV analyst.

Bradshaw revealed this week that he is fighting the effects of what he said were at least six concussions he suffered as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1970-83.

Now 62, he's served as a Fox NFL analyst since 1994. He said last year he started to feel serious consequences of memory loss.

In a column on FoxSports.com, Bradshaw wrote:

"That's why I quit reciting statistics because I couldn't remember them exactly and I stayed away from mentioning some players by name because I really wasn't sure and I didn't want to make a mistake. I'm on national TV in front of millions and I hate making mistake."

Bradshaw has been working with the Amen Clinic in Newport Beach, Calif., to try and improve his cognitive skills and said he needs to perform tasks to improve his hand-eye coordination.

"It's obvious that my brain isn't what it used to be," he said. "I'm taking memory power boost tablets to help me every day and doing the puzzles to help me stay focused."

Bradshaw applauded the NFL's recent efforts to raise awareness about and prevention of head injuries, but still called for the league and players to do more.

The culture is vastly different, however, from the one he said shook off head injuries when he played.

"When I played for the Steelers and I got my bell rung, I'd take smelling salts and go right back out there," Bradshaw said.

"All of us did that. We didn't know any better. You don't know how many times I was in the huddle, asking my teammates to help me call a play. After a few minutes, I'd be fine and I'd keep playing just like nothing had happened."

(Hey Terry I'm sure the concussions you sustained didn't help but your memory "problems" could have to do with the fact you are OLD. Your wild and crazy lifestyle in your youth and your self described "self medication" with alcohol sure didn't help your memory either. But then again maybe you don't remember that. Bradshaw's is such an attention wh*ore. - mesa)

Atlanta Dan 04-17-2011 08:15 AM

Re: Terry Bradshaw: Memory loss affecting him in Fox TV role

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaSteeler (Post 926802)

Bradshaw's is such an attention wh*ore. - mesa)

Agreed - it could be true but with Bradshaw who knows - maybe it is as side effect from the meds he is taking for his psychological problems?

My understanding is he decided to go public with this at his annual golf tournament press conference this week - last year the hook for media attention at the golf tournamenyt was Bradshaw ripping Roethlisberger after Miledgeville - this year he gets on the media bandwagon focusing on concussions

Bradshaw did take some brutal hits to the head - I recall at least 4: knocked out early in 1972 AFC championship game (he returned); knocked out late in 1975 AFC championship game; knocked out on TD pass to Swann in 4th quarter of Super Bowl X; and planted head first by Turkey Jones in 1976 Steelers-Cleveland game (that could have paralyzed or killed him - he was out for 8 weeks after that hit)

SteelersinCA 04-17-2011 10:11 AM

These concussions are no joke.

SH-Rock 04-17-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelersinCA (Post 926807)
These concussions are no joke.

Aaron Rodgers is probably going to forget he ever won a Super Bowl if he keeps getting concussions.

SteelersinCA 04-17-2011 08:28 PM

It's a shame, but you are probably right.

ricardisimo 04-18-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 926806)
Agreed - it could be true but with Bradshaw who knows - maybe it is as side effect from the meds he is taking for his psychological problems?

My understanding is he decided to go public with this at his annual golf tournament press conference this week - last year the hook for media attention at the golf tournamenyt was Bradshaw ripping Roethlisberger after Miledgeville - this year he gets on the media bandwagon focusing on concussions

Bradshaw did take some brutal hits to the head - I recall at least 4: knocked out early in 1972 AFC championship game (he returned); knocked out late in 1975 AFC championship game; knocked out on TD pass to Swann in 4th quarter of Super Bowl X; and planted head first by Turkey Jones in 1976 Steelers-Cleveland game (that could have paralyzed or killed him - he was out for 8 weeks after that hit)

Not to mention some of the vicious hits he took from Noll before and after the games.

DanRooney 04-18-2011 07:00 AM

Sure didn't effect his tirade about Ben being a better quarterb...I mean a bad person :hatsoff:

SteelersinCA 04-19-2011 01:09 AM

Didn't they kiss and make up?