Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers build for the future (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=72708)

Hayeksheroes 04-30-2011 11:55 AM

Steelers build for the future

The Steelers draft picks are clearly for a strong Steeler team over the next few years. Cam and Marcus will be nice additions and strengthen both the offensive and defensive lines.

I had hoped the Steelers would try for another Superbowl run. In order to do that, the Steelers needed to draft a CB who could start this year. They didn't do that. With the glaring deficiencies in the secondary, the Steelers are a wildcard team at best.

If the Steelers want to make a run at the SB, they need to fix the secondary. The Packers and Patriots already showed the league how to beat the Steelers. The best the Steelers can hope for is to sign Taylor and hope that Butler and Lewis improve their play.

SH-Rock 04-30-2011 11:56 AM

Re: Steelers build for the future

I think they should draft Brandon Burton. He is a project, but he has height and speed to excel.

Sixburgher 04-30-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes (Post 928175)
With the glaring deficiencies in the secondary, the Steelers are a wildcard team at best.

Like this past season, when they were a 2 seed? The secondary has been suspect for a while now. It's not a new development. It becomes especially apparent when Troy is out of action for an extended period (see 2009) or is not 100% (see 2010 playoffs).

davidtrout 04-30-2011 12:47 PM

Lol! So we can't make it back to the SB or even win the division because we didn't sell the farm to move up or reach for a CB that wasn't worth pick 31. No, we will just have to suffer watching last season's #1 overall defense get torched because they didn't go into panic mode after losing a game to the Packers.

Yes, I know, "the Steelers always struggle against elite QBs." That's my favorite quote. As if that wasn't a given. EVERY DEFENSE struggles against elite QBs! That's what makes them elite.

Our secondary needs work but it's not going to hinder a SB run. We all wish we had a pro bowler at every position, but that's a fantasy. We'll make the most out of what we have, like always, and that will keep us in the hunt for a SB. Can't ask for more than that, at least not realistically.

davidtrout 04-30-2011 12:48 PM

Lol! So we can't make it back to the SB or even win the division because we didn't sell the farm to move up or reach for a CB that wasn't worth pick 31. No, we will just have to suffer watching last season's #1 overall defense get torched because they didn't go into panic mode after losing a game to the Packers.

Yes, I know, "the Steelers always struggle against elite QBs." That's my favorite quote. As if that wasn't a given. EVERY DEFENSE struggles against elite QBs! That's what makes them elite.

Our secondary needs work but it's not going to hinder a SB run. We all wish we had a pro bowler at every position, but that's a fantasy. We'll make the most out of what we have, like always, and that will keep us in the hunt for a SB. Can't ask for more than that, at least not realistically.

davidtrout 04-30-2011 12:49 PM

Sorry about double post.

HAWK 04-30-2011 01:48 PM

No harm......It needed to be said twice!

Farrior_roirraW 04-30-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes (Post 928175)
If the Steelers want to make a run at the SB, they need to fix the secondary. The Packers and Patriots already showed the league how to beat the Steelers.

And every team has a Brady or a Rodgers?

theplatypus 04-30-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farrior_roirraW (Post 928213)
And every team has a Brady or a Rodgers?

You've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. WE"RE DOOMED,DOOMED!!!!

sexyllama 04-30-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theplatypus (Post 928214)
You've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. WE"RE DOOMED,DOOMED!!!!

No, I think he just stated a fact.

We have problems being spread out by the more elite passing teams (Elite not being better but Elite meaning they have a good slot receiver and a QB who can throw quickly and accurately)

Not doom or gloom just a fact.

Llama