Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Free Safety (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7275)

Santonio4 05-18-2006 09:52 AM

Free Safety

Is anthony smith going to start? Well, I think so.

burgsville 05-18-2006 09:54 AM

Re: Free Safety

Is he the hammer they say he is ?

83-Steelers-43 05-18-2006 09:56 AM

In my opinion, Clark is going to win the position.

clevestinks 05-18-2006 10:24 AM

I`m going with Clark for now, definitley to start the season anyway.

tony hipchest 05-18-2006 11:12 AM

if polamalu couldnt win the starting job in his 1st year, i dont see how smith can. i think it will be clark too. unless theyre kendrell bell or casey hampton, rookie defenders really dont get thrust into the starting lineup.

coachspeak33 05-18-2006 11:21 AM

Ryan Clark WILL be the Steelers starting FS, barring injury. The Steelers would not have signed this guy if they didn t plan on starting him.... He is making a position switch, however, as he played at SS in Washington. The only way Clark doesnt start is if he cant beat out Tyrone Carter... and the chances of that happening are slim and none.

slashsteel 05-18-2006 12:48 PM

I don't know what games some of you watched but Carter was solid in limited playing time. I don't think the margin of difference is as wide as a few might think. As Clark has to learn the scheme, so to me that gives Carter a edge out of the gates...............

Busforever 05-18-2006 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slashsteel
I don't know what games some of you watched but Carter was solid in limited playing time. I don't think the margin of difference is as wide as a few might think. As Clark has to learn the scheme, so to me that gives Carter a edge out of the gates...............

True, but I see Carter as a help at both FS and SS positions, as Logan but with different style. But Ryan Clark is a seasoned DB. He played FS with Sean Taylor, and that means something, because Taylor is often used in Redskins schemes as "x factor", like Polamalu in our team.
Finally I like our depth at DB. Good management. And if Clark proves he is an upgrade after Hope (not sure), it would be perfect.

83-Steelers-43 05-18-2006 02:42 PM

I think he's either an upgrade or at the same level as Hope. In my opinion, Hope was pimped hard in this city. We'll see how he looks in that Titan defense.

Hines86Ward 05-18-2006 02:44 PM

I see Ryan Clark starting, and then Anthony Smith will take over next season. Tyrone Carter will probably switch back & forth between FS and SS, like he did near the end of last season. IMO, anything is better than Chris Hope. He was slow, stupid, and couldn't tackle.....