Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Barbaro hurt at Pimlico (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7326)

BB2W 05-20-2006 05:36 PM

Barbaro hurt at Pimlico

I was just watching the Preakness and Barbaro had to be pulled up after hurting his right rear leg. Prior to the start of the race he broke through the starting gates and had to be reset. I hope it's not serious or life threatening.

Barbaro's hopes of a Triple Crown fizzled when he pulled up lame. The Derby winner's Preakness disaster paved the way for Bernardini's triumph.

BB2W 05-20-2006 05:42 PM

Re: Barbaro hurt at Pimlico

They just said he has a fracture above and below the ankle... he is going to have surgery and it may be life threatening.

tony hipchest 05-20-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB2W
They just said he has a fracture above and below the ankle... he is going to have surgery and it may be life threatening.

:dang: i got caught up in pre race (nascar) coverage and totally missed the preakness :dang: thanks for the update. its weird to call a horse an athelete but they are definitely atheletic animals. it sucks for barbaro if he has to die cause of racing. poor horse. i just saw the highlights and felt sorry for him limping around.
:yeehaw: get well barbaro. and may you have a long life as a stud.

clevestinks 05-20-2006 06:00 PM

I was watching live, that was sad, and tragic. That horse was in alot of pain!

BB2W 05-20-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
get well barbaro. and may you have a long life as a stud.

I agree, thats the big payday for a race horse. :smile:

tony hipchest 05-20-2006 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB2W
I agree, thats the big payday for a race horse. :smile:

the sad thing is theres probably alot of people who wish him dead for the money he lost those who bet on him.

not to get off subject, but hows carson palmers rehab going? will they have to put him down? :sofunny:

sorry, just a joke, in poor taste, and at a bad time but thats never stopped me before.

BB2W 05-20-2006 06:47 PM

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2...arbaro_275.jpg

BALTIMORE -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start with a life-threatening injury, and Bernardini went on to win the $1 million Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg and the crowd gasped in dismay as the jockey pulled Barbaro to a stop just past the finish line and jumped off.

Fans were crying in the grandstand as the unbeaten 3-year-old was loaded into an equine ambulance and taken away, his injured leg in an inflatable cast.

Dr. Larry Bramlage of the American Association of Equine Practitioners said Barbaro suffered breaks above and below the ankle.

"It's a serious fracture. This will require pretty major surgery. ... Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer," he said. "His career is over. This is very life threatening. Under the best circumstances, we will try to save him as a stallion."

Barbaro, the 1-2 favorite, broke through the starting gate before the official start, but Bramlage said that had nothing to do with the injury. After the colt was led back to the gate, the field broke cleanly.

While Barbaro was being attended to, distraught trainer Michael Matz bolted from his seat and ran onto the track where he embraced Prado. The jockey went over to owner Gretchen Jackson and said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

She put an arm on his shoulder and said, "You did a great job."

"You never expect it," Jackson said as she walked back to the barn.

The devastating development drained all the excitement from a crowd expecting a victory by Barbaro that would have set the stage for a Triple Crown attempt in the Belmont Stakes in three weeks.

The Triple Crown talk is over now.

The Preakness went on, though, with Bernardini taking control from pace-setter Like Now and pulling away for a 5?-length victory over Sweetnorthernsaint.

Hemingway's Key was third, followed by Brother Derek, Greeley's Legacy, Platinum Couple, Like Now and Diabolical.

Ridden by Javier Castellano, Bernardini became the first Preakness winner since Red Bullet in 2000 who didn't run in the Derby.

"It's very exciting for everyone, for me especially, to win the Preakness. It's also very, very sad. It's a big disappointment," Castellano said.

Lightly raced, Bernardini took a major step up in class in just his fourth career start. The well-bred son of A.P. Indy came into $1 million Preakness off an impressive win in the Withers Stakes at Aqueduct on April 29.

The colt now has won three straight after running fourth in his debut, and earned $650,000 for Darley Stable, operated by Dubai's Sheik Mohammed.

Winning time for the 1 3/16 miles was 1:54.65, off the stakes record of 1:53.40.

Bernardini paid $27.80, $9.40 and $5.80. Sweetnorthernsaint, who finished seventh in the Derby, returned $7.80 and $5. Hemingway's Key paid $8.

Winning trainer Tom Albertrani said he did not see Barbaro break down.

"I saw Michael run by me and I knew something was wrong," he said. "You feel very upset when you see something like that."

Barbaro was taken back to his barn, where he was X-rayed, tranquilized and stabilized before being transported the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, a veterinary hospital, in Kennett Square, Pa.

Bramlage said a human would have to spend six weeks in bed with a comparable fracture, and "with a horse that's impossible."

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=2452205

3 to be 4 05-20-2006 09:48 PM

the same thing happen to my Uncle Lou.

DIESELMAN 05-21-2006 06:54 AM

Thoroughbreds have broken down in the past in big races: In the 1993 Preakness, Union City broke down and was euthanized; in the 1993 Belmont Stakes, Preakness winner Prairie Bayou broke down; in the 1999 Belmont Stakes, with Charismatic trying to win the Triple Crown, he was pulled up while finishing third with a fractured ankle; Go For Wand broke down in the stretch of the 1990 Breeders' Cup Distaff and was euthanized; and in 1975, the great Ruffian broke down in a match race with Foolish Pleasure. She was operated on, but was later euthanized.........I hate hearing about this kind of stuff.....

clevestinks 05-21-2006 07:00 AM

well the surgery is today, either he will be a stud for many years, or just keep sleeping. Its sad a I agree, but some people at the race need to get a grip. Its a horse, those same people ate filet mignon, right before the race, and Barbaros grew up on the same farm as that cow.