Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paging Capt. Obvious (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=73392)

thumper 06-07-2011 03:13 PM

Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

PIT - WR Limas Sweed will need good preseason to make team

Source: ESPN.com - James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Limas Sweed likely will have to perform well during the preseason and show that he is recovered from the Achilles' tendon injury he suffered last offseason if he wants to make the final roster. Sweed appears to be the No. 6 wide receiver on the depth chart at this point.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Sweed has never lived up to his draft status, and this is certainly a make or break camp for him. Injuries and personal/emotional issues have held him back to this point. Coming back from an Achilles' injury has proven difficult for any player sustaining the injury and we don't feel Sweed will make enough of an impact to make the final roster.
I didn't like Sweed's chances BEFORE he blew out his Achilles' tendon.
Now that he has sustained such a severe injury, I really doubt he will
contribute jack boogers.

He won't make the team.

Ward
Brown
Sanders
Wallace - all given.

2 spots left.

Randle El and Battle not given, for sure. Word is they are interested in
looking at signing Brian Finneran (ATL) if the lock out ends. I would like
that signing very much.

StainlessStill 06-07-2011 09:55 PM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
The problem with Limas Sweed is that he is a SECOND round draft pick so time is ticking for Limas. The cards were even stacked against him last year to make the team but heading into this season, it's all about being absolute flawless in Training Camp and then having a REMARKABLE mistake-free pre-season to boot in the early pre-season games. Those games are tremendously enormous for Limas and he'll have to tear it up but IMHO, they will give him a good look since he IS a second round pick (value) and also had a solid camp last year to build on before injuring his foote.

kirklandrules 06-08-2011 08:14 AM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
I remember seeing quite a few articles during last year's mini camp of how good Limas was playing. It's a sad case because he definitely had all the talent, but just had a fagile ego. I tend to root for all players trying to make the team because if they do then they should help make the team better. If Limas were to overcome these issues his talent could really provide a lift ... and give Ben the tall receiver he always seems to request. But the odds are stacked against him.

steelerchad 06-08-2011 09:25 AM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
If Sweed could somehow develop into a solid big possession receiver then I would really like our receiving corps with 4 young guys all with different abilities.
Sweed- Big, possession
Wallace- Deep Threat
Sanders- Slot
Brown- 4th option on passing downs and returns.

tunes4life 06-08-2011 09:55 AM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 930817)
If Sweed could somehow develop into a solid big possession receiver then I would really like our receiving corps with 4 young guys all with different abilities.

Yes, I second that motion. I always had high hopes for Sweed, he seems like a good kid. The lack of Spring training and possibly a shortened training camp may tip the scales against him even more. I'll give him a 10% chance of making the team, and it's only that high because of his draft value and the fact that he did look really good before getting injured last year.

I feel for the guy. :hug:

thumper 06-08-2011 11:51 AM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelerchad (Post 930817)
If Sweed could somehow develop into a solid big possession receiver then I would really like our receiving corps with 4 young guys all with different abilities.
Sweed- Big, possession
Wallace- Deep Threat
Sanders- Slot
Brown- 4th option on passing downs and returns.

Our WR corp would be mucho kick assio if Sweed became what
he was drafted to become. But he is not a possession WR and I
don't know if he can become one. His deal was to go deep, not
run curl or hook routes or things associated with possession WRs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UQ2cZuHxw

I see him more like a Burress type of WR. He is big but goes downfield
and makes plays by jumping and grabbing passes but downfield, which
would be awesome if he could provide what he did in TX. But look at
the midgets who were covering him in that vid. Yea, his size makes them
look smaller but the competition upgrade in the NFL has a lot to do with
him dropping so many balls. He isn't as confident he can beat them like
he did the non-NFL caliber CBs he faced in college.

But....even if he was on a comeback, a torn Achilles is hard to any athlete
to over come, not to mention a position like WR where your wheels mean
everything. I remember when Dan Marino tore his, and he never moved
much to begin with, certainly never sprinted. And it was even hard for him
to over come.

thumper 06-08-2011 12:06 PM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessStill (Post 930806)
The problem with Limas Sweed is that he is a SECOND round draft pick so time is ticking for Limas. The cards were even stacked against him last year to make the team but heading into this season, it's all about being absolute flawless in Training Camp and then having a REMARKABLE mistake-free pre-season to boot in the early pre-season games. Those games are tremendously enormous for Limas and he'll have to tear it up but IMHO, they will give him a good look since he IS a second round pick (value) and also had a solid camp last year to build on before injuring his foote.

Stainless, I agree with your points. He WILL get another chance, because

1.) He was a 2nd round pick.
2.) They could really use a big body who can catch downfield. Imagine
our WR corp if he could become the player they thought they were
getting when they draft him? Wow. Our O would be amazing. They
couldn't put a safety over the top of most WRs, with Wallace and
Sweed both commanding double coverage. Can't double everyone.

stb_steeler 06-08-2011 05:07 PM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 930827)
Stainless, I agree with your points. He WILL get another chance, because

1.) He was a 2nd round pick.
2.) They could really use a big body who can catch downfield. Imagine
our WR corp if he could become the player they thought they were
getting when they draft him? Wow. Our O would be amazing. They
couldn't put a safety over the top of most WRs, with Wallace and
Sweed both commanding double coverage. Can't double everyone.

Who said Sweed can catch? they wasted enough time on this draft pick, time to move on.....

thumper 06-08-2011 05:31 PM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stb_steeler (Post 930856)
Who said Sweed can catch? they wasted enough time on this draft pick, time to move on.....

He could catch in college; highlight real is long and meaningful. But he
has never been able to catch in the NFL so far.

StainlessStill 06-08-2011 05:59 PM

Re: Paging Capt. Obvious
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stb_steeler (Post 930856)
Who said Sweed can catch? they wasted enough time on this draft pick, time to move on.....

Sometimes rookies get accustomed to the life of the NFL (Pouncey) and some don't, atleast right away in Limas's case. The guy got the tools (without a question of a doubt) but when a player lacks confidence and isn't sure what's going on as a whole and just can't adjust to NFL-life right away, then your body isn't as crisp and acts as its own mental block. This is Limas's case. WR's in the NFL, esp rookies, are tested to the max and is the hardest position to learn on the field other than obviously, quarterback.

If Limas has a solid camp, it'll come down to him and someone like Battle for the final roster spot.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum